FanControl, my take on a SpeedFan replacement

does anybody knows why when setting 0% for any fan, the goes to min RPM's but it doesnt actually turn off? MSI b450 board here.

also @rem0o is there a way of making the software start on windows startup?

Looking around,

bla bla bla this, meh that!

no longer able to see GPU VRM, hotspot. VDDC, and memory temperatures with the newest ver 25. This is on a vega 64.

2 hours ago, Jon97 said:

Ability to sync using tempreture or using mix graph and tempreture sensor? eg: CPU fan curve (Graph) + GPU tempreture = Fan controll speed

You can with a mix curve. Sum your graph with a linear curve that is 1% per deg C. You got exactly what you want there.

2 hours ago, Jon97 said:

Maybe allow us to freely move the graph to however we like instaed of a vertical line following the fan speed %

TBH that choice was made to make it easier on myself to code and debug. If you allow to cross your points, it adds complexity. Call it lazy on my part 😄

1 hour ago, pGuerrerox said:

does anybody knows why when setting 0% for any fan, the goes to min RPM's but it doesnt actually turn off? MSI b450 board here.

Some boards simply don't allow to turn your fans off.

For startup, look in the zip, there is a script to register a scheduled task.

Hey @Rem0o,

I just registered here just to say thank you so much!

Don't get me wrong, I'm a long term LTT watcher, but I didn't have a reason to register on the forum before.

Your program is working great, like others I was already afraid I might have to pay for an alternative but then I found your tool and it does exactly what I need!

I do have some small feature suggestions tho:

1. The option to hide some of the fan speed cards (I'm thinking a small button next to the rpm and an option in the hamburger menu to hide/show hidden speed cards)

2. An option to group the curves by type or maybe instead the option to manually change the order (small arrow buttons?). That would help make things look more cleanly.

3. An autosave option in the settings. So every time I change a setting/name or click "ok" in the fan curve editor it automatically saves to my current profile. I guess that's not so important for a finished setup, but I just moved the folder from my downloads to my program folder and noticed I forgot to save some changes 🤦‍♂️

Edit, forgot one: 4. Select a custom folder to store profiles in or instead create a button in the three-dot-menu to open the folder FanControl is running in, so you can easily access your profiles without having to search for where you put the program. /Edit

I hope I could help with these suggestions and that they're not too much work and I'm looking forward to future releases (with these changes or without)! I haven't read through all 15 pages of the thread so I'm sorry if I repeated something someone suggested before.

Thanks a lot again and keep it up!

Enjoy the weather,

Arouraios

And another one, who just registered to say thanks! here:-)

@Rem0o do you plan to move your app to Github, so that users can easily watch releases and get notified once you release new version?

2 hours ago, Arouraios said:

I do have some small feature suggestions tho:

1. The option to hide some of the fan speed cards (I'm thinking a small button next to the rpm and an option in the hamburger menu to hide/show hidden speed cards)

You can already hide matched fan speed sensors, but I do agree that a more granular control would be useful.

2. An option to group the curves by type or maybe instead the option to manually change the order (small arrow buttons?). That would help make things look more cleanly.

You can already drag and drop all of the cards around. Simply click on an empty portion of the card and move it.

3. An autosave option in the settings. So every time I change a setting/name or click "ok" in the fan curve editor it automatically saves to my current profile. I guess that's not so important for a finished setup, but I just moved the folder from my downloads to my program folder and noticed I forgot to save some changes 🤦‍♂️

Edit, forgot one: 4. Select a custom folder to store profiles in or instead create a button in the three-dot-menu to open the folder FanControl is running in, so you can easily access your profiles without having to search for where you put the program. /Edit

When you close the window or exit the app, it automatically will ask for a save if something changed. Isn't that enough?

I do plan to improve the save/load process some more, this is just a first working iteration of the concept.

1 hour ago, johny mnemonic said:

And another one, who just registered to say thanks! here:-)

@Rem0o do you plan to move your app to Github, so that users can easily watch releases and get notified once you release new version?

It is not a public repo. 
However, as for notification, whenever I release a new version, when you open the app, you will get a popup.

I will probably look into making a website in the future to organize the information better and improve my SEO, but hosting ain't free so I would need some kind of stable income to do so.

18 hours ago, pGuerrerox said:

My B450 Tomahawk MAX doesn't allow some fans to be turned off, I have one plugged into a pump header and that works fine except it doesn't allow it to be turned off. Normal system header fans can be turned off so you can try plugging the fan into a different header.

Great, I guess for now almost everything is perfect :)

Being able to quickly access the profile folder or at least deleting them from the UI would still be great. Also, where can I hide matched fan speed sensors? I can only hide all of them.

2 minutes ago, Arouraios said:

Great, I guess for now almost everything is perfect :)

Being able to quickly access the profile folder or at least deleting them from the UI would still be great. Also, where can I hide matched fan speed sensors? I can only hide all of them.

I'm sorry you are right, I've had this feature in my debug build for some time now, I've got so used to it but I didn't put it into a release yet 😅

Update 26

• Quick switch config from tray icon
  • Delete config in the load dialog by right clicking -> delete
  • Various bug fixes

Enjoy!

Since profile saving has been added in (a couple versions ago), anytime I hit the X to minimize the application to the system tray, it tells me changes have been made and if I want to save it (See image).

1. This appears when I don't change a single thing. I'm using 1 profile only. This happened when I had 2 profiles as well.

2. I've rebooted, and it still happens.

3. If I hit yes, or no, it continues to happen.

4. If I pull up the application at any given point, and hit the X, it asks the same thing.

5. EDIT - The work and features you're putting into this program is amazing, thank you.

fancontrol save.PNG

Hi,

How does FanControl import sensor temperatures? I'm building cheap temperature sensor based on arduino and I would love to use those readings to control my fan speeds. I don't know what will be easier - importing those values into OpenHardwareMonitor directly or adding them to OHM output which is imported into FanControl.

In addition I think that splitting Step(%/sec) and Hysteresis(+-C) into both Step-Up and Step-Down setting would be nice and usefull option.

Anyway, everything works flawless on my side. Good job.

1 hour ago, V1k1 said:

Since profile saving has been added in (a couple versions ago), anytime I hit the X to minimize the application to the system tray, it tells me changes have been made and if I want to save it (See image).

1. This appears when I don't change a single thing. I'm using 1 profile only. This happened when I had 2 profiles as well.

Yeah that's a current issue, the window position is in the config 😅 , so whenever you move the window => ask for save.

1 hour ago, Kaktuch said:

I don't know what will be easier - importing those values into OpenHardwareMonitor directly or adding them to OHM output which is imported into FanControl.

In addition I think that splitting Step(%/sec) and Hysteresis(+-C) into both Step-Up and Step-Down setting would be nice and usefull option.

If OHM reads your temp, FanControl will.

As for spliting up and downs, yeah I've thought about it, but I would have to make some room in the cards, it's starting to be a bit tight in there.

32 minutes ago, Rem0o said:

Yeah that's a current issue, the window position is in the config 😅 , so whenever you move the window => ask for save.

Great feature! LOL. How'd that get in there? :P Glad I'm not going crazy. Hope to see it fixed soon! Thank you!

1 hour ago, V1k1 said:

Great feature! LOL. How'd that get in there? :P Glad I'm not going crazy. Hope to see it fixed soon! Thank you!

Well, having your window pop back at the same monitor / screen position was the original idea, but it doesn't make as much sense in the current state.

19 hours ago, Kaktuch said:

Would be wonderful and having the possibility to set under 1%/sec would be the cherry on the pie, it will allow a slow decrease of the fan spin

Hey man, really appreciate for this wonderful program, but sadly I failed to access the download link due to our country policy (I am Chinese). So could you please share this program to me by another way such as email? Also I will introduce this excellent program to other Chinese guys, Im sure they will enjoy this.

By the way, if you want to create a chinese version, I will be glad to help.

My email: linchgsun@163.com, appreciate if you could share with me, many thx

Thank you for creating this bestest of fan control tools!

I identified following bug:

- If run with both my GPUs (Radeon XT 5700, NVidia RTX 2070) enabled, the tool crashes on startup. I attached the log output.

- Once I deactivate one of my GPUs, the tool runs just fine.

It would be absolutely awesome, if you can have a look at this issue.

Best,

lustiz

log.txt

13 minutes ago, lustiz said:

- If run with both my GPUs (Radeon XT 5700, NVidia RTX 2070) enabled, the tool crashes on startup. I attached the log output.

Why do you have 2 different types of GPU 😅. The program expects 1 or the other, or many of the same type.

5 minutes ago, Rem0o said:

Why do you have 2 different types of GPU 😅. The program expects 1 or the other, or many of the same type.

I'm actually about to have a Linux system with mixed GPU for the purpose of compute work, Nvidia locks a CPU core to feed the GPU with data where as AMD just hits it up as needed. The system is a dual core so running 2 Nvidia CPU would mean 100% CPU load and the cards being bottlenecked when the CPU needs to run the OS, but with one Nvidia and one AMD it'll work more smoothly. Also that's just what I have on hand.

In his case it may be that he needs one for one program which works better with Nvidia (CUDA optimized maybe?) and the AMD card is for something else that's more OpenCL optimized? I'm interested in why as well!