FanControl, my take on a SpeedFan replacement

1 hour ago, klugHads said:

Awesome!

Configured a mixed fan curve to control the front fans in the chassis according to the highest from a linear CPU curve and a linear GPU curve.

In some games the cpu keeps cool while the gpu sweats, and sometimes the CPU works hard rendering videos etc.

Asrock Z390 Mini-ITX / i9-9900K / RTX 2070 MSI Gaming X

Yup, that's the whole point of this software! Glad you like it.

Hello!

I have a bit of a problem. I can only adjust my gpu fan speeds.

I have an Intel 2600k and a Gigabyte Z77x-d3h mobo, along with an RX 580.

I have been using speedfan, but a while ago it became incompatible with battleeye so I stopped using it. Your app seems to be a good alternative, but I am obviously missing something. Any idea?

Thank you!

techtips.png

1 hour ago, FiToS said:

I have a bit of a problem. I can only adjust my gpu fan speeds.

It seems like your mobo doesn't support 0%. If you put 100% instead of 0% on the flat curve, does it increase the fan speeds?

Hi, I have a strange problem. My GPU fans (ASUS DUAL RTX270 EVO) doesn't been recognized. I can in total 6 tabs (3 from MB, 2 active) and the rest are 0%. I downloaded the librehardwaremonitor and there the fans are working. I even added the DLL (in case of slightly newer version but nothing. Also I disable afterburner (which was the only of this kind that I'm using).

Version I'm using is 8

Any ideas?

Hi, suggestions:

1) Include a "Deregister_Startup_Task.cmd" that does

SCHTASKS /DELETE /TN "FanControl"

2) Make it possible to remove unused Fan Controls in the UI. Maybe it's possible now but could not find how.

3) Idea: it would be nice to be able to define for example two use cases (multiple configurations) "Quiet" (probably quiet linear curves) and "Cool" (more aggressive curves or flat ones), and to be able to select that using a simple button that shows seamlessly in the Windows desktop background. Or using right-click on tray icon.

Fantastic work you've done. Just remember to keep it as simple as possible "5 minutes configuration without manual/instructions" 🙂

5 hours ago, klugHads said:

Fantastic work you've done. Just remember to keep it as simple as possible "5 minutes configuration without manual/instructions" 🙂

Thanks! 

Keeping the balance of features / simplicity is always a challenge.

1) Will do, don't know why I didn't include it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2) I could add a checkbox in the left hamburger menu to hide non-enabled controls.

3) You are not the first to mention profiles.However, my ideal would be to give enough parameters for you to configure a single fan curve that does the "quiet" part when you want it and the "cool" part when needed.

Update 9

• GRAPHS GRAPHS GRAPHS
  • Hide disabled fan controls

Yup, I did it, we got graphs now.

It's a custom implementation since I didn't want to include a huge library just for basic graph features.

It is basic, I know, but it's a first release, so bare that in mind. You got a preview in your card, then you can edit in the dialog.

• It's dynamic, everything gets updated live
  • Left click to add a point.
  • Drag a point up and down while holding left click.
  • Right click to delete a point.
  • Reading the graph from the control is highly optimized so that the CPU usage is kept to a minimum.

image.png.067d2e5b932afdcabb0e886ee844a04e.png

image.png.5de61ac24d7c6475afa10ca84ac3b86a.png

Enjoy!

Wow, didnt expect such an upgrade. :) If we get sensor graphs now, I think its complete. :)

This is really awesome. Managed to finally not have to load Asus AI Suite just to set fan profiles, this seems like a much more elegant solution.Plus allowing me to set fans according to the hottest part of the system (my GPU) is fantastic.

Only thing on my wish list would be to set different spin up and spin down times. Handle those cases where the temperature jumps up quickly (so you want fans right away) and then the airflow brings it bouncing around the threshold for a short time.

26 minutes ago, Twentysix said:

Only thing on my wish list would be to set different spin up and spin down times. Handle those cases where the temperature jumps up quickly (so you want fans right away) and then the airflow brings it bouncing around the threshold for a short time.

Thanks for the input.

Well right now it is hard coded at 8%/second up or down. You can only really "control" the timing with a response time / hysteresis.

Keep in mind these parameters were not designed to be cooling focused, but noise focused, as cooling is indirect and slow, but noise is direct and instant.

Don't forget that no fan spin-up will ever make a difference for a second or two ( temperature spike ). Air cooling is a "slow" system, as your heatsink mass needs to heat up first. It's even slower in the context of case fans, where their impact will most likely start to affect your components a good 15-30 seconds after their speed increased. Most of the time, the trade-up between noise and ramp-up speed is not worth it imo for a short burst.

Hey Rem0o,

First of all, thank you very much for the great tool and second of all, sorry for my bad english, I'm not a native speaker.

Your tool is absolutly awesome! I played 2 hours with it, to find the optimal settings and now my PC is completly silent in IDLE and browsing and still quiet, if I'm gaming.

I was searching for something like this a long time, because my asus ROG maximus 8 is failing to set "step up" and "step down" times, so my case fans were allways ramp up and down for a second ... very annoying and useless. (By the way, your tool is working smoothly with my maximus 😎

As I made my curves and setting, I thought about some suggestions that would help to optimize my setup. So I dont expect, that you will add them, but I will let them here anyway 😅

1. A copy function for graphs. I used slightly different graphs for my case fans. So copy-paste the graph and edit it afterwards, would have been more convenient.

2. Something like a "first-ramp-up" function. My fans are not working until 25%. They dont start. But if they are allready spinning, I'm able to set them down until 15% and they are still running (but very slow).

3. Maybe there is a possibility to read also other temps, like M.2-NVMe temps or ssd temps. In my case, I would like to set a mixed fan curve, with 1 linked to my NVMe, because sometimes its getting really hot (65°C and more). It would be even better if I would be able to mix 3 curves. Cause then I would mix CPU,GPU and NVMe, so this particular fan would only speed up if I would either render something, play a game or copy something big to my NVMe.

4. I love the response time, but for me something like a "step-down-delay" would be very usefull, too. With this I would set a dealy to the case-fans. Because after some longtime heavy load, my coolant in my water cooling system is still hot and it would be faster cool (so less time noisy), if the case-fans would spin also if the cpu temp is not really high anymore. 

But these are only some extras, the tool is allready my new favorite !

Have a nice day. 🙂

@GrumpyNarf

Thanks for the feedback Great to hear you had fun tweaking your setup, but it should be easy and quick to setup, 2 hours to setup might not be a great sign 😅.

I got some good news for you regarding your suggestions...

1) I thought about it already, it's in the pipe, just didn't do it yet as I wanted to put out the graph function quickly. It will come in a future OTA update.

2) Well activation % already covers a part of that, but I wouldn't recommend running your fans in that "still running" region, as it can be very unstable and cause problems.

3) That's just a switch that I didn't turn on in the software yet, it's literally a single "IsStorageEnabled = true" away. Just have to make sure the sensor name it detects will make sense and let you identify specific drives.

@Rem0o

Wow this are great news 🙂 thank you for you answer. 

To point 2. yeah I expected something like this, so maybe better I dont do it.

To point 4. An other solution for this would be, that the temp of my AIO-water-cooling system will be recognized, but I know that for example HWInfo shows me a warning, before it shows me the temp of my water-cooling system. Its working, but HWInfo says that it can fail or cause problems. 

... to my two hours, yeah it wasnt your tool what have been so time consuming, it have been the stress-tests and real world tests with games and adobe premiere, so dont worry 🙂

One question to the community: Does somebody have an idea, if there is any possibility to prevent the fans to spin up to 100% while booting? I had to deactivate asus qfan in the UEFI in order to use FanControl, but now they are going to 100% every time my system is booting or wakeing up.

Hi,

I've just registerd on this forum to tell you that your OpenFanControl is amazing! Thats exactly what i was looking for after changing setup to new Ryzen 3600 with MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX motherboard which is not supported by SpeedFan.

I've used your script to create startup task in task schedule. In my case it does start the program with priority level set to below normal (I dont know why it is not default normal priority). The problem is, when I start any demanding program (like Cinebench R20) with priority level set to anything higher than that assigned to OpenFanControl (in my case - anything higher than below normal) fans are not longer controlled.

My suggestion is:

Maybe change startup priority level in startup task to something like above normal or even high? It will prevent the program form stalling and thus overheating system under very heavy load conditions.

Anyway, Thank you for your work!

13 minutes ago, Kaktuch said:

My suggestion is:

Maybe change startup priority level in startup task to something like above normal or even high? It will prevent the program form stalling and thus overheating system under very heavy load conditions.

Nice catch. Never noticed it defaults to below normal. Will change to "start /normal FanControl.exe"

Update 12

• Storage temperature (SSD, HDD)
  • Copy paste buttons for graphs
  • Relabeled all temperature sensors to include the hardware part name
  • Task scheduler script now starts the process with "normal" priority (thanks @Kaktuch)

image.png.894934473127f7b0ee6e138b35795c0c.png

image.png.a01c0b6a47f54f43c8e7bfc7cf1d2f0f.png

Enjoy

@Rem0o

The update is working great. Copy-paste is really easy. All my NVMe and SSD temps are showing up. All hardware has the right name. 

But now I have to decide wether if I take the GPU or the NVMe for my mixed curve with the CPU. Do you think it would be smart to be able to mix more than two? Or mix one mixed with an other graph or also with a mixed? 

1 minute ago, GrumpyNarf said:

@Rem0o

The update is working great. Copy-paste is really easy. All my NVMe and SSD temps are showing up. All hardware has the right name. 

But now I have to decide wether if I take the GPU or the NVMe for my mixed curve with the CPU. Do you think it would be smart to be able to mix more then two? Or mix one mixed with an other graph or also an mixed? 

Stop thinking ahead of me! 😉

Mixing curve will have a review soon. In the meantime, you can do:

Mix ( GPU, CPU) => Apply it to a control => Sync( control ) => Mix( Sync, NVME )

It's not the most elegant way of doing things, but it should do the trick just fine for now.

Anything i can do to help so my gpu fan could get controlled with fan control?

Currently it doesn't recognize it.

I got sapphide radeon 5700xt pulse gpu and motherboard is PRIME Z270M-PLUS.

All other fans are working.

9 hours ago, leripe said:

I can only say, that I never found a program except the particular driver for my GPU, that has been able to controll my GPU-Fans. So I think its not really possible with some GPU's.

6 hours ago, leripe said:

It seems like the 5700XT has been tackled, but it might not work for all models.

https://github.com/LibreHardwareMonitor/LibreHardwareMonitor/issues/134

6 hours ago, leripe said:

Give Overdriventool a try, it's what I use on my Vega56 and RX580. AMD GPU fan control is weird anyway, it's not very smooth.

For you guys on the red team that can't seem to get their card working, did you try to disable those in the AMD driver/control software?

image.thumb.png.b9f56ac46ec4a74426fc04d1d1a46705.png