Apple announces independent repair program

linkboy

Soo they are only doing this because right to repair is going to pass right? They are doing this before it's put in place so they look like the good guy to the people who don't know about rtr and not make it look like they were forced to do it. 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

4 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

As you've just stated. Limited. I could be wrong but this sounds like the most likely route Apple's going to take with this. Depending on supply and price Rossman may or may not find the certification worth it but his opinions of apple as a company don't make me think he'll openly accept this.

He has stated in the past that he believes in making as much money as possible so if it were to take his business in a more profitable direction then yes I could see him changing his mind for the sake of profit but I don't think Apple will make it that easy. They've never made it that easy before.

It could be as a means of last resort if no other satisfactory/non-fraudulent parts can be sourced. It would probably be preferable for Apple themselves to supply a component, however reluctantly, than to have a subpar counterfeit (defined as being mislabled as OEM) component be used. IE: "if you have absolutely no other option, we'll throw you a bone."

Rossman's recent video actually, where he kind of slammed parts suppliers for using the Apple logo on non-oem components, even though it went (seemingly) contrary to the right-to-repair movement, won quite a bit of respect from myself. 

I'm definitely hoping for the best here.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

He has posted his reply and its positive for the most part. Agrees and disagrees with certain part, but it does not seem he will enroll in this program as he will not be allowed to resell parts which is a big part of his business atm.