"I guess this is some folk's thing, not me though. Someone probably into this."

zassou

say you are a photographer, you like birds, you share your wild bird photos on websites like da. you have some fans, not much, but they like your works.

one day, someone left some comments like this one on your page, how do you repond?

A. not respond

B. "why do you even waste your time typing then?"

C. (your idea?)

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

Tell them - Me, I am into this!  If you ever need any photography tips hit me up! 

That way, you redirect back to the topic at hand (your pictures being viewed) and you leave a comment that appears to be on the up and up

Or don't respond at all

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

I'd ignore it, or even outright delete the comment if the system lets you.

Waste of data storage space, that comment is.

If you feel compelled to respond, try and turn it around by saying "Thanks for taking the time to view my work - if you have any photography needs, hit me up", etc.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Someone's bored, obviously ^o^

All the above answers.

btw, how do you respond to racist/xenophobic or outright hate comments? preferably in a snarky or ironically politely way.

im not really good at words so i usually not responding at all.

few years ago i might get provoked but since then i kinda get jaded.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

4 hours ago, zassou said:

btw, how do you respond to racist/xenophobic or outright hate comments? preferably in a snarky or ironically politely way.

im not really good at words so i usually not responding at all.

few years ago i might get provoked but since then i kinda get jaded.

You don't.

Just ignore those sorts of comments and report them/delete them if possible.

You're not in the business of defending others/yourself, you're in the business of showing off awesome photos.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

6 hours ago, zassou said:

btw, how do you respond to racist/xenophobic or outright hate comments?

report and block and move on. don't entertain these people

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I usually just ignore such things. Though, be aware that for some reason, there are bunch of bots that post such vague responses where you scratch your head for few moments thinking about their purpose. At least on WordPress blogs you quickly spot such comments based on e-mail used by the poster.

If I actually felt inclined to respond, I would probably do so with politeness (a Canadian's curse) and sassy positivity. Something along the lines like, "Thanks for visiting, I hope you have an awesome hobby that gets you to the great outdoors for some fresh air and be able to explore nature in such amazing detail too!"

Most internet (racist) trolls get off on provoking responses and reactions. So ban them, delete them or ignore them if the forum allows such functions. Engaging them with a response is probably the least useful tactic.

If I can't resist the urge to respond though, I'd embed this as a reply, and probably regret it later down the road.

Makes you wonder though, how do public figures, like Linus on YouTube, learned how to deal with all the trolls when they first started out.

CPU: Vulnerable to Meltdown | Motherboard: Has LEDs that I can't see | RAM: Bought too much | GPU: Mostly satisfactory so far in our relationship | Case: Shiny, black, very heavy and tall, with a Firefox sticker | Storage: Has too many old HDDs | PSU: Hasn't blown up yet like it's predecessor | Displays: Mismatched from Craigslist | Cooling: As many Noctuas as there are fan headers | Keyboard: Keys are fading |  Mouse: Needs cleaning |

It's so weird and out of place I'd just ignore it.  It doesn't show any interest, consideration, thoughtfulness, etc. and hasn't earned the respect that would have to exist to even be worth replying to.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 8/22/2019 at 10:53 AM, dalekphalm said:

If you feel compelled to respond, try and turn it around by saying "Thanks for taking the time to view my work - if you have any photography needs, hit me up", etc.

i think this is a great response.  it shows that you respect their opinion, even if they didnt like it, and appreciate the time they took to look at it. 

responding like this can have them coming back and seeing more of your work, maybe they will see something they like and share that instead. treat them like a potential client, because they are.

if you're a dick about it, they wont look at other stuff, and they wont share it. meaning you lose out on potential future views/sales/commission work.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

On 8/23/2019 at 1:53 AM, dalekphalm said:

thats one of my favourite response so far. however im not trying to be a good guy; but be humourous, making others fun to look at, while convey the message of "zero fuck were given". just to slightly piss that guy.

wasn't worth a bit.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

31 minutes ago, will4623 said:

wasn't worth a bit.

Can you elaborate on this comment?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Can you elaborate on this comment?

the comment he is talking about isn't worth a computer bit of storage

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

2 minutes ago, will4623 said:

the comment he is talking about isn't worth a computer bit of storage

Ah - I largely agree. I don't know how the comment system on DA works, but I would just straight up delete it. It adds nothing to his portfolio, and doesn't help him in any way. It's just wasted space.

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Ah - I largely agree. I don't know how the comment system on DA works, but I would just straight up delete it. It adds nothing to his portfolio, and doesn't help him in any way. It's just wasted space.

just a metaphor, im not a wildlife photographer nor a bird watcher. the stuff im doing probably not suit for this forum.

anyway i just want to defend my work, but dunno what to do.

5 minutes ago, zassou said:

just a metaphor, im not a wildlife photographer nor a bird watcher. the stuff im doing probably not suit for this forum.

delete said post.

6 minutes ago, zassou said:

Don't even justify his response with a defense. Your work requires no defense.

That's like someone going out of their way to go into a Comic Book store and telling the owner "I guess some folks like comics. Not me though. Someone, probably into this."

It just makes no sense. The owner wouldn't need to defend comics. He'd just be like "Okay.. well... see ya".

If you can, just delete the comment. If you can't - report the comment to whatever moderator team there is, and say it's "off topic, or not relevant".

If you're stuck with the comment, go with a positive response - not one designed to piss him off (Because the last thing you want is him spamming your images with more stupid comments).

2 minutes ago, will4623 said:

delete said post.

hehe, i cant, not my website. and they didnt not violate any rule too, just being annoying.

19 minutes ago, zassou said:

hehe, i cant, not my website. and they didnt not violate any rule too, just being annoying.

I would @ a moderator and tell them he wasted a kilobyte of space./s

just leave it. you waste more time if you respond.