Dose turning off sound improves Windows performance?

ImInHugeTrouble

Hi, Im working on my project which requires tons of system resource, and I have to turn off as many things as possible.

I do not need to use sound from my computer, if I turn off everything related to sound will it reduce load on my computer?

I'm currently using Windows 7, I'have unplugged my speaker and disable sound card. What else do I need to do?

6 minutes ago, ImInHugeTrouble said:

Hi, Im working on my project which requires tons of system resource, and I have to turn off as many things as possible.

I do not need to use sound from my computer, if I turn off everything related to sound will it reduce load on my computer?

I'm currently using Windows 7, I'have unplugged my speaker and disable sound card. What else do I need to do?

Not even by 0.2 percent faster.. So don't waste your time on that...

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

7 minutes ago, ImInHugeTrouble said:

This is the first problem. If you're trying to reduce "resource usage" as much as possible, Windows is not the OS you should be considering.

Otherwise no, turning off sound or disabling it won't really improve performance to a noticeable degree.

The difference will be unnoticeable. You'd free up more resources by installing a lightweight Linux distro.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

This was a thing in the DOS days but even then they barely made a difference

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

4 hours ago, ImInHugeTrouble said:

If you have to resort to turning hardware off, you're barking up the wrong tree.

Yes, "onboard" sound does impair system performance, but only if audio is actually being played. Likewise the GPU will impair CPU performance the higher the resolution being run. But we're not talking about significant numbers unless certain conditions are met.

For example, an onboard sound chip might, at most, pull 2% CPU performance, and only while it's playing stereo audio. This will drop to 0% on a PCI/PCIe sound card due to hardware mixing. An intel onboard GPU consumes CPU resources, even if it's not being used for video (eg just quicksync video decoding), but if you don't install the driver (eg the system runs in VGA mode), then the CPU does everything. So you end up consuming more resources by not having the driver installed. If you run an external GPU without it's drivers, the same thing applies.

Installing the driver, and then disabling it from within the OS, is the preferable option over not installing the driver at all, as at some point the OS may install it anyway. Even if turned off in the BIOS.

If you are trying to maximize the CPU performance, you should be running FreeBSD. Alternatively build your own Linux distro and recompile the kernel so that only the drivers for the hardware that exists in the system is compiled in, and everything else is turned off.

With FreeBSD or Linux, the drivers are only loaded if the hardware is found during PCI/PCIe/USB/etc probes unless it's compiled into the kernel, which is why you'd probably want to strip out anything from the kernel you don't actually have, and then recompile it explicitly for the CPU in the system.

It would help to know what type of project you are working on. It seems like maybe some type of rendering?

Okay... if you got to the point of needing to disable audio for performance then it's time for Linux indeed lolz

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)