Steam In Home Streaming - Everything you Need to Know

LinusTech

NCIX: N/A

Amazon: N/A

Steam In Home Streaming is one of the most revolutionary things to come along in a while, but for some reason there doesn't seem to be enough buzz about it, so I took it upon myself to really dive into the capabilities of this exciting new technology and here's the result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIL71Q6eJ2Y

i was waiting for this

thanks linus

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I see bioshock infinite on three monitors, sick! 

but I'm in school and can't watch the video right now :(

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

I for one am quite excited for this technology.

Hoping to play around with it sometime.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

Wow that's really really good.

When you can stream to the internet and do it well, that is the awesome point for me.

Being able to play my games at a LAN party, without having to drag everything around with me baring a low power laptop or something, sounds awesome.

Probably a bit off that, with latency and such, but at some point....

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

This is amazing. Maybe in the future I can share my PC with my friend over the internet :D

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

I'm in the beta, who wants to touch me? In all seriousness though the streaming has been so fun, I'm installing more games just to try them, my only real issue so far has been streaming to a Acer net book running Ubuntu on an atom 1.6ghz, the display latency just goes up and up and up until it becomes a slide show.

I don't normally post on forums, but when I do... that was it.

I think you can also fake your desktop resolution on the server pc, so you wouldn't have needed two 4k tv's.

In nVidia control panel for example, you can enter a custom resolution. This way I tried out how my games would run in 1440p on my machine before upgrading from 1080p.

Maybe you can fool Steam this way!

Boy did Linus get exited over this or what. I'm not really freaking out but that's just cos I don't even have a 2nd rig... :(

Linus, you should really test this with a Raspberry Pi or other micro PCs. It would be freaking awesome if it works.

Correct me if I'm wrong, a code has to be written just for the Pi for it to work, right?

What is the laptop that turns to a touch pad? That seems useful  ^_^  Or does someone have any recommendations on one like it.

Nice concise overview. It really is showing a lot of potential, I think it's great they've allowed the ability for it to work with non-steam games, they didn't have to do that. Steam just seem to 'get it' nowadays. 

Now all I have to do is upgrade my home network, I'm already running wireless-N plus Gigabit Powerline. But, honestly the way home interconnectivity is going, I really want Wireless AC + full Gigabit Ethernet. A job for the summer :)

Linus, you should really test this with a Raspberry Pi or other micro PCs. It would be freaking awesome if it works.

Correct me if I'm wrong, a code has to be written just for the Pi for it to work, right?

a pi is arm based cpu (steam only works on x86) so yes steam needs to make a port to pi

PooKloo For Slick

This is amazing.

CPUIntel Core I5-3570k @4.2Ghz |  CoolerBeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MOBOMsi Z77 Mpower | GPUSapphire HD7970 Dual-X 3GB RAMCorsair Vengeance Low Profile 1600mhz (2x8GB) | HDD Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB & HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB | PSU: BeQuiet! PurePower L8 630w | Case: Corsair C70 Military Green | Display: BenQ GL2450HM 24" KeyboardCM Storm QuickFire Ultimate Keyboard (Browns) | MouseR.A.T 7 | Mouse padSteelseries QcK Mass | Headset: Plantronics Gamecom 780 | OS: Windows 7 Ultimate | Picture of setuphttp://i.imgur.com/o8jKsQJ.jpg (OLD)

YEAH! Just so amazing! And Linus is so on fire in this one! And it's such a great video - you guys put so much effort to test out the limits of this and it really shows - pleasure to watch!

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Can't wait for the next vid, I might try doing this if I can get an Ethernet port in my lounge area, then sit on the couch and play meh laptop

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

I have to make a decision, wired 100Mbps or 5GHZ AC wireless?

You didn't say EVERYTHING I needed to know... you didn't say how to actually be able to use it. Is it not available to everybody yet?

Wow that's really really good.

When you can stream to the internet and do it well, that is the awesome point for me.

Being able to play my games at a LAN party, without having to drag everything around with me baring a low power laptop or something, sounds awesome.

Probably a bit off that, with latency and such, but at some point....

From a network perspective streaming over the Internet is quite different than streaming over the LAN. When you do it over the LAN both sides are on one network so everything can happen at layer 2. Once you stream over the Internet things need to work at layer 3 (logical routing layer) which has a different set of restrictions, for example broadcast traffic does not get through. Obviously it's technically possible and maybe somebody will find a workaround, but I don't think it's not a priority for Valve and they have even gone as far as calling this "in-home streaming" in order to avoid any confusion. Also Gabe is on record saying he doesn't like cloud gaming, although I guess this would be more personal cloud.