Is it worth getting a mechanical keyboard?

Go to solution Solved by nox_,
7 minutes ago, sniip said:

Been a while. I spend a bit of time on reaserch and local market is crap. Lol. I think I would like to go for MX Red as I tested and really liked them. Sadly there are not a lot of places to get and test all of these and I was only able to test Hyper X alloy FPS that had Red swiches. 

All other I was able to find was a bunch of Razer ones, I liked the ones with Greens ones (blackwidow) but was a bit too loud.

The G413 was also quite nice but not sure if it is worth the 91 Euro price... The last simple designed one I was able to find that cought my eye was Asus Cerberus RGB but no one had in stock so I could test. I just like how it looks, sadly it uses non Cherry switches and from review I found that it is "unusable" do to poor software and drivers.

At this point i'm just lost... I want a keyboard that would have Cherry MX Red switches and would look something similair like G413. (I want a basic looking keyboard with decent switches) Sadly was not able to find any locally and shipping one costs a fortune...

https://playpro.lt/lt/zaidimu-klaviatura-logitech-g413-carbon-kaina-us-layout-romer-g-switches

On sale now. But I would get this one : http://www.skytech.lt/hxkb4rd1usr2-hyperx-alloy-fps-pro-laidine-itin-kompaktiska-mechanine-zaidimu-kla-p-362560.html?utm_source=kaina24.lt&utm_medium=referral

Hello all,

I wanted to ask you guys for opinion if it is worth to get a mechanical keyborad. All the time I have been using a membrane keyboard and never saw a draw back (of course I cannot compare since I newer had a mechanical keyboard). 

Right now I am thinking of changing my old cheap keyboard which still works fine but is now just very worn off. I want to buy something more fancy than a 5Euro keyboard.

So I mainly use the keyboard to type texts sometimes a bit to game and the keyboard need to have num pad buttons (no keyless variants would sufice). But most importantly I hate a very loud keyboard. Out of everything I looked I was able to find that Cherry MX browns are not as loud and found this keyboard HyperX Alloy FPS with Brown switched that costs about 79 Euros. I also found Razer BlackWidow with green switches for 95 Euros that looks way more clean and I would prefer that one over the HyperX but I am unsure about the sound of switches. On the other hand I was able to find membrane ones that look clean or even the same Razer Cynosa for 50 Euros altho I think it is a bit too expensive for a membrane one.

Could you maybe help me guys to choose if I should go with mechanical one or not. If I would go with it I would probably try to customize the keyboard down the road so would be nice to know which would be better suited for that too.

What other peripherals do you have? I would say yes a mechanical keyboard is worth it, but there are some other peripherals I would buy before a mechanical keyboard (i.e. a good mouse). Also beware when looking at keyboards, just because it says "brown switches" does NOT mean they are cherry brown switches, there are other manufacturers of switches that use the same colours and they are not as good as cherry switches.

Below I will put a very good guide on the different switches that you should look at to decide which switch is right for you. If there is a store near you that has mechanical keyboards it is also a good idea to go to the store and try typing on the keyboards.

https://gaminggem.com/cherry-mx-mechanical-switch-guide/

10 minutes ago, sniip said:

try to customize the keyboard down the road

If by that you mean changing keycaps then stay away from Razer and most of Corsair boards,they use a lot of non standard caps, they are very hard to find,sometimes even not possible. Look at Cooler Master, that hyper X, and some ducky boards should be in that price range. If you were willing to up your budget and don't care about RGB and other gimmicks get this : https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3545 quality is superb, much better than other boards in this price range.

@schwellmo92 Some of the cherry clones are better than cherry, he should pay attention to which switch exactly is used, some clones are great, even better, and some are real shit.

Edited by noxdeouroboros

If you like keyswitches that are not that loud, Razer Green should definitely not be on your list.

To give a little bit of context, Cherry MX is basically the 'standard' on the market, so it's easiest to compare whomever's switches to their. Razer Green is kinda like MX Blue. Feels awesome to type on, but it loud. Quite loud. Just look up a type test for either switch to get an idea.

Razer Orange is more like MX Brown, Razer Yellow is a lot like MX Red.

If you are thinking of customizing your keyboard, I typically advice against Razer and Corsair because of their non-standard bottom row:

http://blog.maxkeyboard.com/faqs/keycap-compatibility-and-size-chart/

Basically the size of the Ctrl, Alt, Windows key and spacebar is different than on a standard keyboard, meaning you have to get a set specifically for your keyboard.

Personally I love my mechanical keyboard and would never go back to membrane (voluntarily), but a normal keyboard is fine too. It just depends on if you want to spend just about 80+ euros on a keyboard.

I have used the Razer Cynosa and do not like that keyboard at all, same for the Ornata. If you want a more budget mechanical keyboard, but still have some cool features (RGB, onboard memory, standard keycap set, maybe TKL?) Coolermaster have some good offerings, like the CK550 and CK350. These use Gateron and Outemo switches respectively, which are kind of a knockoff Cherry MX switch, but especially Gateron is IMO a really good switch manufacturer.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Personally if you like tactility and a nice amount of key travel yeah but the me h keyboard is a market full of bs do your research and but key testers to find the switch right for you. I would say about Logitech, corsair, HyperX any gaming brands . But on sale some corsair, cooler master , and hyper x boards are actually a great deal. But look at ducky,Leopold, look at things like the Anne pro, and glorious makes a pretty awesome offering the same company that does the model offering great box switches and gateron you can really customise it at a really competitive price point

23 minutes ago, -Kriss- said:

Its not going to make you better at a game, but i really like typing on my mx browns

Yeah, mostly I am going to use for typing. Want to have something that would be best suited for that. I dont expect to become better at gaming just want something comfortable :)

Just now, sniip said:

Yeah, mostly I am going to use for typing. Want to have something that would be best suited for that. I dont expect to become better at gaming just want something comfortable :)

I don't think a mech keyboard will be more comfortable than a standard membrane but to me it's more fun to type on and the tactility and feedback and keytravel is more satisfying. If you want comfortable you want to look at ergonomic keyboards.

2 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

What other peripherals do you have? I would say yes a mechanical keyboard is worth it, but there are some other peripherals I would buy before a mechanical keyboard (i.e. a good mouse). Also beware when looking at keyboards, just because it says "brown switches" does NOT mean they are cherry brown switches, there are other manufacturers of switches that use the same colours and they are not as good as cherry switches.

Below I will put a very good guide on the different switches that you should look at to decide which switch is right for you. If there is a store near you that has mechanical keyboards it is also a good idea to go to the store and try typing on the keyboards.

https://gaminggem.com/cherry-mx-mechanical-switch-guide/

For a mouse I currently have Razer Deathadder 3.5G. Not the biggest fan of the mouse but works good enough for me. I also have few headsets one for music and one for gaming (Marshall Major II for music and Patriot Viper PV3607UMLK. Monitor is a Dell U2412 24 inch IPS display. Not made for gaming but for what I game it is good enough and I need to have high color accuracy when I work with photos.

6 minutes ago, rice guru said:

I don't think a mech keyboard will be more comfortable than a standard membrane but to me it's more fun to type on and the tactility and feedback and keytravel is more satisfying. If you want comfortable you want to look at ergonomic keyboards.

Maybe, but at least it would be more satisfying to type on. Also I could buy a wrist rest for comfort.

1 minute ago, sniip said:

Maybe, but at least it would be more satisfying to type on. Also I could buy a wrist rest for comfort.

Basically what I do for mine

IMG_20190710_131040.jpg

7 minutes ago, rice guru said:

IMG_20190710_131040.jpg

What brand is this? More like a couch than wrist rest, thinking of buying one of these.

7 minutes ago, rice guru said:

IMG_20190710_131040.jpg

Really like how yours look like. Sadly I would not be able to ship these to my country...

As I checked what I could get locally I would then have to choose between Cooler Master CK350 RGB with Outemu Brown; Logitech G413 Red; HyperX Alloy FPS with Cherry MC Brown.

1 minute ago, sniip said:

Really like how yours look like. Sadly I would not be able to ship these to my country...

As I checked what I could get locally I would then have to choose between Cooler Master CK350 RGB with Outemu Brown; Logitech G413 Red; HyperX Alloy FPS with Cherry MC Brown.

I just noticed you are from Lithuania, you are a bit mistaken, you can get ducky shipped to you. 

1 minute ago, noxdeouroboros said:

I just noticed you are from Lithuania, you are a bit mistaken, you can get ducky shipped to you. 

Looking at the price Ducky keyboards have + shipping that would be near 150-160 Euros

Just now, sniip said:

Looking at the price Ducky keyboards have + shipping that would be near 150-160 Euros

Do you have to have RGB or just lighting would be fine?

Just now, noxdeouroboros said:

Do you have to have RGB or just lighting would be fine?

Any backlight is good, do not need RGB.

14 minutes ago, sniip said:

Any backlight is good, do not need RGB.

This one is great: https://www.kilobaitas.lt/Klaviaturos/Cooler_Master/Cooler_Master_Keyboard_MasterK/SGK-6020-KKCM1-US/CatalogStoreDetail.aspx?CatID=PL_401&ID=814166 but there was white lighting only version of it just a few days ago for 90 euros, keep on the lookout for it, might reappear. Other than that, HyperX Alloy FPS is the best offered locally, besides Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro L , hyper x is the best in that price range. I would recommend not buying Cooler Master CK350 RGB, it's flimsy compared to Masterkeys series, if choosing between CK350 and HyperX, definitely get the latter.

18 minutes ago, sniip said:

I personally stay away from browns they are brown cause they are poo. And I don't like Romer g switches . So personally I don't like any of them.butbif I had no choice I would probably go with the hyper x but I would try my best to get reds or blues 

28 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

What brand is this? More like a couch than wrist rest, thinking of buying one of these.

Just some random Chinese wrist rest I got from amazon. I've gone through a lot even the spam block looking stuff but this one is probably my favorite. But debating getting a wooden one from glorious as I might grab a new mech keyboard with kaihua switches from them

Screenshot_20190811-091842__01__01.jpg

Just now, rice guru said:

I personally stay away from browns they are brown cause they are poo. And I don't like Romer g switches . So personally I don't like any of them.butbif I had no choice I would probably go with the hyper x but I would try my best to get reds or blues 

Agree with you, but blues are loud as fuck, I lubed my browns, and they feel like reds now, and I like them much more now, so reds might be a bit better, but not everyone likes reds for typing, he should try them first in some store, browns have very little tactility, but it's better for typing than having no tactility (reds), or having tactility, but being loud as fuck (blues) , yes I know you can put o rings, but they only help with upstroke and kinda make it mushy.

3 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Agree with you, but blues are loud as fuck, I lubed my browns, and they feel like reds now, and I like them much more now, so reds might be a bit better, but not everyone likes reds for typing, he should try them first in some store, browns have very little tactility, but it's better for typing than having no tactility (reds), or having tactility, but being loud as fuck (blues) , yes I know you can put o rings, but they only help with upstroke and kinda make it mushy.

Masterkeys pro does look a lot nicer, but does cost a bit more. I will check at local stores that have any display units available. Previously I only had a chance to check Razer Blackwidow with green switches , Razer Mecha membrane one (felt nice to type but was very loud) and some other with Blue ones but also was very loud.

I also really like how Logitech looks like and the price does not look too bad. I previously used their mice and was never disapointed with them, sadly last one broke due to old age and was offered a razer deathadder one for free so couldnt resist that deal :D

5 minutes ago, sniip said:

Masterkeys pro does look a lot nicer, but does cost a bit more. I will check at local stores that have any display units available. Previously I only had a chance to check Razer Blackwidow with green switches , Razer Mecha membrane one (felt nice to type but was very loud) and some other with Blue ones but also was very loud.

I also really like how Logitech looks like and the price does not look too bad. I previously used their mice and was never disapointed with them, sadly last one broke due to old age and was offered a razer deathadder one for free so couldnt resist that deal :D

Logitech when it comes to keyboards in your price range, mostly come with romer G switches, keycaps for them are hard to find, and I personally hate how they feel, and many people agree with that, if you are thinking getting romer g's, you must try them, they are not everyone's cup of tea for sure. What models of logi you are thinking exactly?

16 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

I prefer no tactility  but smooth linears like a gateron red over a shitty scratchy feeling brown. the little bump on the brown makes th ewhole swtch feel scratchy to me. 

4 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Logitech when it comes to keyboards in your price range, mostly come with romer G switches, keycaps for them are hard to find, and I personally hate how they feel, and many people agree with that, if you are thinking getting romer g's, you must try them, they are not everyone's cup of tea for sure. What models of logi you are thinking exactly?

Only one I could find was G413 or G Pro but I do not like the keyless layout.