Server power usage hp dl380 g7

Hey guys,  New to the site. 

So I'm looking at picking up a hp dl380 g7 with dual x5650, 48gb of ram and dual 700w power supplies. Now I tried to do as much research online as I can to get a rough idea of what a simlair spec server would cost to run in kwh for power. Hoping one of you guys could ge me a rough idea. Don't really wanna pick one up if it will cost a arm and leg to run. 

Cheera

Really, try to get a g8 if you can, there not much more money, faster, better software support, and faster.

Probably about 100-150w idle and about 250-400w under load.

So how much does your power cost, General rule of thumb is about a buck a watt per year, so a few hundred a year in power costs.

I'm from nz and I pay. 28 per kwh. That spec g7 only cost me $300nzd to buy but a g8 with lower specs is 1300nzd to buy. 

1 minute ago, Escapenz102 said:

I'm from nz and I pay. 28 per kwh. That spec g7 only cost me $300nzd to buy but a g8 with lower specs is 1300nzd to buy. 

Yea that won't be cheap to run.

What are you using this for? Id probably get a new ryzen or intel system, its faster than the dual xeons and much less power hungy

Likely going to be average load of 180W-220W, that's what our G7 draw with a few disks and a RAID card etc. Also you $/kwh sucks, have a look at changing power companies, your current one will counter offer with a much better rate.

There is about 200ish people in my town who are pc gamers. So I host gaming servers for us all to play. (few different games at one) currently I just rent a vps in aus to host everything but was looking at just hosting at my house as I have the best Internet connection by far thanks to me going a little over board with my network set up ? also best deal I can get for power. Shopped around for it. Suck as I use to only pay. 08 

5 minutes ago, Escapenz102 said:

There is about 200ish people in my town who are pc gamers. So I host gaming servers for us all to play. (few different games at one) currently I just rent a vps in aus to host everything but was looking at just hosting at my house as I have the best Internet connection by far thanks to me going a little over board with my network set up ? also best deal I can get for power. Shopped around for it. Suck as I use to only pay. 08 

Id try to get a newer desktop system if you can, many game servers are single threaded and those servers aren't that great in single threaded speeds.

the dual power supplies are meant to be plugged into different circuits. 

its ratings published are,

Idle power consumption‎: ‎72W
Peak power consumption‎: ‎145W

but those processors are 95 watt TDP so expect a little more around 200 watts peak. the more difficult thing will be heat.

you will spend a lot on cooling its meant to run inside a data center with cooling.

its also 2U, so you will have to find a rack for this server.

4 minutes ago, tech.guru said:

the dual power supplies are meant to be plugged into different circuits. 

its ratings published are,

Idle power consumption‎: ‎72W
Peak power consumption‎: ‎145W

but those processors are 95 watt TDP so expect a little more around 200 watts peak. the more difficult thing will be heat.

you will spend a lot on cooling its meant to run inside a data center with cooling.

its also 2U, so you will have to find a rack for this server.

Got a source for that? What specs were they running to get those numbers?

I have done testing on many systems like this one and got much more power usage, things like ram, cards and disks add up, and those x5650's are pretty high power cpus.

Here is some peoples numbers

https://old.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/86q1dg/r710_power_usage/

seems to be around 100-150w ide and 250-400w load.

obviously depends on the options. As i said his processors have TDP of 95w and he has two.

250 watts under load seems reasonable.

Just now, tech.guru said:

https://www.alphr.com/hp/31070/hp-proliant-dl385-g7-review/page/0/1

but obviously depends on the options. As i said his processors have TDP of 95w and he has two.

250 watts under load seems reasonable.

thats a different server model

and a single socket version, and pretty low end

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

thats a different server model

and a single socket version, and pretty low end

yes  corrected, I see i made a mistake. but anyways the configuration of the server will better indicator of the pwr consumption that anyone else testing by researching the power draw of the computer components as servers have many different options.

Thanks everyone for the help. Kind of knew the server wouldn't be the best but rather use a server than my gaming pc. Serve would be keep in a room with ac and already have a rack it would fit into. May just use my gaming pc and keep a eye on how much it cost to run going 24/7. Imagine a i7 8700, 64gb of ram should be more than loads to run a few servers and still game on 

On 8/5/2019 at 11:59 AM, tech.guru said:

yes  corrected, I see i made a mistake. but anyways the configuration of the server will better indicator of the pwr consumption that anyone else testing by researching the power draw of the computer components as servers have many different options.

My dual L5630 servers still idle at the 200W mark with only 6 HDDs, LGA1366 generation is just power hungry.

image.thumb.png.2ac04acee81c2c5faf79e5103142fca6.png

CPU load average is 5% and peak of 18% during above graph.

I used to have a DL380 G7. Peak was about 250W with dual X5650s and 8 146GB 10K SAS disks. Idle in the 150 range, with fans set to auto (usually sat around 17%).

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

I'd get a ryzen 1600 or 1700 and assign each game server a couple of cores/threads and a chunk of ram.

If those game servers are less cpu and more ram heavy, maybe it would be fun to make a system with old G34 socket from AMD ... for example 80$ plus shipping gets you a dual socket MB with 2 16 core Opteron 6272 processors : https://www.ebay.com/itm/SuperMicro-H8DGU-F-Socket-G34-AMD-Motherboard-with-2-x-Opteron-6272/273910552138

The two cpus together are about as fast as a single Ryzen 1600 but you do get 32 cores to play with and you can shove up to 512 GB of ram in it. And Registered DDR3 is super cheap, around 1$ per GB , ex 8$ for 8 GB stick : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-8GB-PC3-8500-DDR3-1066MHz-ECC-Registered-M393B1K70BH1-CF8Q4/202728834785

4 hours ago, mariushm said:

I'd get a ryzen 1600 or 1700 and assign each game server a couple of cores/threads and a chunk of ram.

If those game servers are less cpu and more ram heavy, maybe it would be fun to make a system with old G34 socket from AMD ... for example 80$ plus shipping gets you a dual socket MB with 2 16 core Opteron 6272 processors : https://www.ebay.com/itm/SuperMicro-H8DGU-F-Socket-G34-AMD-Motherboard-with-2-x-Opteron-6272/273910552138

The two cpus together are about as fast as a single Ryzen 1600 but you do get 32 cores to play with and you can shove up to 512 GB of ram in it. And Registered DDR3 is super cheap, around 1$ per GB , ex 8$ for 8 GB stick : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-8GB-PC3-8500-DDR3-1066MHz-ECC-Registered-M393B1K70BH1-CF8Q4/202728834785

the TDP is even higher for those processors.  in my experience older opteron were very slow with cheaper clocked cores compared to the xeon. 

scores seem to confirm,

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Opteron-6272-vs-Intel-Xeon-X5650/1569vs1304

stay away from older opterons they were slow power hungry processors compared to the xeons relative to performance. i hated having any servers with them in it.

EYPC line is completely different story...

Indeed, they are high TDP processors, consumes quite a bit of power.

I was just saying that for SOME game servers it may make sense. 

However, I was simply giving it as an example of possible use with servers that don't need a lot of cpu cycles or high frequency cores (servers that are well threaded) but which use a lot of ram.

For example, let's say you have a game that has a server which needs 8 GB of memory to work or is memory intensive in general, less cpu intensive .

If you go with a Ryzen 1600 or 1700 or 2600 , you have 6-8 cores and 12-16 threads, and you're limited to 64 GB of memory, and you have to go with 16 GB memory sticks, as you can use a maximum of 4 sticks with this platform ... so you're looking at 60$ for a 16 GB stick of memory : https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ghs8TW/crucial-ballistix-sport-lt-16gb-1-x-16gb-ddr4-2400-memory-bls16g4d240fse

For 64 GB of memory, you're looking at 240$ for memory, 60$ for motherboard, 100$ for cpu, so 400$ for the kit, but you'll have a PC that will average maybe 100w of power consumption.

If each game server needs 8 GB of memory, you're looking at best at 4 game servers running at same time, so you're looking at 2 cores / 4 threads at best for each game server.

Alternatively you could spend 80$ for mb + 2 x 16 core processors plus maybe 50$ for 2 coolers and then you could fill the 16 memory slots with 8GB sticks and you get 128 GB Registered DDR3 for pretty much 128$

So 32 cores, 128 GB of memory for let's say 250$ but the system will probably idle at 200 watts.

The extra amount of memory will allow you to run more game servers in parallel, let's say you go with 6 game servers in parallel each with 5 cores allocated to them and 20 GB of memory. 

So you've saved around 100-150$ and you get 2+ extra game servers but you have a higher monthly bill each month ... if people pay a small fee to use your game servers then one or two of those extra game servers could pay for the electricity costs.

Anyway... for just one game server there may be other options, like going with a refurbished 2nd gen or 3rd gen Intel system for around 100$ but paying attention to get one that allows to add up to 16 GB or 32 GB of memory ... then add ram and you're good to go.