Senator Klobuchar wants to mandate a "Kill Switch" in all Mobile Phones

geforceftw

http://www.techdirt.com/blog/wireless/articles/20140125/22372025987/really-bad-idea-senator-klobuchar-wants-to-mandate-kill-switch-all-mobile-phones.shtml

This would be to combat stolen phones or lost phones rendering them somewhat useless.In the article they say that this could be abused but she says that its with the best intentions.

Do you think this is a good idea or a bad idea? personally i think this is a bad/good idea because if it gets abused... well thats whats bad about it

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

Also if this is a repost i looked and didnt find it.

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

It's an okay idea. I'd rather have a blow up button.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

It's with the best intentions, but it will end up being abused as everything the government have control of.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

It's with the best intentions, but it will end up being abused as everything the government have control of.

This made my eyes roll so hard they popped out.

Anyway, shes my representative interestingly enough. I feel like this is a good idea so long as the terminology is right. If a carrier can kill switch your phone if you say, took it to a different carrier (if that phone was unlocked for example), that would be bad.

This should be something that the customer asks the company to do and that's it. If that's how it's written into law that would be great.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

isn't this the reason IMEI was created?

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

we need people in office in the us to actually understand technology. To many people in our government probably don't even know how to properly use a computer.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Everyone and their dog knows that will never be how it is written.  Especially once SOPA or similar laws get pushed through and completely warrantless direct tapping is allowed by request only with nothing backing.

Anyway, shes my representative interestingly enough. I feel like this is a good idea so long as the terminology is right. If a carrier can kill switch your phone if you say, took it to a different carrier (if that phone was unlocked for example), that would be bad.

This should be something that the customer asks the company to do and that's it. If that's how it's written into law that would be great.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

If anybody was wondering, there's an app for that. I don't see why "everybody must have this on their phone!" if they already CAN have this on their phone if they want it.

Apple killing the switch every year.

Oh, and bad idea. We're responsible for our own items. Sorry, gumblement. 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

If anybody was wondering, there's an app for that. I don't see why "everybody must have this on their phone!" if they already CAN have this on their phone if they want it.

isn't that the thing we're talking about here? the fact that she wanted it to be mandatory?

if that happens, then there's no "opt-out" button, but then again buying a phone from overseas would kinda fixes the problem until they figured out another way to

control phones from outside as well.

Check out the build: Used to be Obot, now Lilith

Shameless: Me

Let's say this passes. Let's say the government has become even more controlling, or perhaps there is a revolution like the one in Ukraine. If it isn't going the government's way, they could just pop everyone's phones and stop them from communicating. Its actually kinda scary. 

ELEPHANT SEALS EVERYWHERE!

we need people in office in the us to actually understand technology. To many people in our government probably don't even know how to properly use a computer.

Exactly this. People in Government are completely clueless about technology, hell our Prime Minister reportedly called out an electrician because he didn't know how to flick a trip switch (or locate his fuse box). More often than not politicians pass legislation specifically pertaining to technology, which caters for corporate (or worse) agendas, with little to no realisation of how anything works, how it would be implemented, or how it could be misused. Furthermore, the political process lags far behind the advancement of technology, to the extent where they are in a constant state of playing catch-up while continuing to lag further and further behind. Which of course gives rise to political headaches like the NSA / GCHQ mass surveillance debacle, where here in the UK at least, the legislation covering such activities is over 10 years old (pre-smartphone) and can largely be circumvented, because it's simply not fit for purpose. There are countless examples of 'Bills' like this, that may actually have the best of intentions, but only end up emphasising the point that not only are politicians clueless about tech, but the general population (for the most part) are completely clueless too.

Another Minnesotan I see. 

I'm not really a huge fan. Idea is great if say... I had control over it. Or the account owner or whatever. But not a fan anyone else having control though.

isn't this basically what find my iphone does in ios 7?

you cannot reset the device unless you use the apple id of the previous owner.

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

I'm sure that airplanes would love to welcome hundreds of passengers with explosive phones and tablets! 

The easiest way to guard against theft of your phone is to keep it in your pocket when not in your hand :)

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

There's a big difference between that and the government being able to shut down your phone because you happen to be in a designated "trouble" area, which is what they want. I hope you understand the gravity of that.

*Ahem* Blackberry Protect *Cough*

Untitled.jpg

I can already do it with my phone.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers