Want 5G? Pay no more! Three UK announces 5G Prices

yolosnail

Three UK has just announced prices for their new 5G network,  and that announcement is that there are no changes. 5G will come as standard on every plan.

Three has announced its 5G pricing in the UK, and the good news is it won't cost you any more than its current "contract, SIM only and PAYG 4G mobile plans.

So this means that customers will be able to get unlimited 5G data for as little as £22 per month

As a Three customer, this is no surprise as they did the same with the launch of 4G, when EE launched their 4G network there was a significant price increase for the faster speeds.

With the 5G launch, this is no different. EE has increased their prices for 4G, and while Vodafone has reasonable prices and unlimited data, they have speed caps on their plans, so you pay more for faster speeds.

The downside is Three's 5G network hasn't been rolled out yet, and my area isn't on the launch list, but the smaller cities an towns around me are!

We know it will starting rolling out the service for mobile broadband in August, but the closet 5G release date we've had so far for smartphones is "later this year."

Source:

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/threes-5g-network-wont-cost-you-any-more-than-4g

http://www.three.co.uk/5g

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

I'm very much looking forward to Three's 5G rolling out in my area (I'm in the Southeast so I imagine it'll be pretty quick) and picking up a 5G handset when my contract is up.

A slight aside: Is their home broadband any good? I understand they use a router to connect to their mobile network, but was wondering how much latency and instability it introduces. If their 5G home broadband is cheap, it sounds like a no-brainer

Been on Three PAYG for a long time. The 4G was pretty bad coverage early on but is now not bad. Guess we'll see that cycle again with 5G. Fortunately I don't see any massive rush to get it, so probably wont even be a consideration for me for a couple of years before I look at replacing my phone to something that might support it.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, James300 said:

A slight aside: Is their home broadband any good? I understand they use a router to connect to their mobile network, but was wondering how much latency and instability it introduces. If their 5G home broadband is cheap, it sounds like a no-brainer

I have a 3GB/month broadband package with them, accessed via dongle. I've used it as backup/travel. Even used it for gaming before when my regular cable connection was down, but there were lag spikes so I wouldn't want to do realtime online games with it regularly.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 minutes ago, James300 said:

Is their home broadband any good? I understand they use a router to connect to their mobile network, but was wondering how much latency and instability it introduces. If their 5G home broadband is cheap, it sounds like a no-brainer

I tether from my mobile a lot when I'm working on the go, and in my area at least Three's network is amazing. I usually get at least 40mbps down and about 25mbps up wherever I go, and the latency hasn't been too bad, but it's still 4G so it'll never be as good as a physical connection. 

4 minutes ago, porina said:

The 4G was pretty bad coverage early on but is now not bad

Three has always had really good coverage where I am, in fact it was the only network that I could get signal on at our caravan up in Kielder. I used to get full 4G signal whereas on EE and Vodafone I would struggle to get 3G.

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

8 minutes ago, James300 said:

I'm very much looking forward to Three's 5G rolling out in my area (I'm in the Southeast so I imagine it'll be pretty quick) and picking up a 5G handset when my contract is up.

Why?

Honest question. Other than the number changing from a 4 on the handset to a 5... why?

Just now, TechyBen said:

Why?

Honest question. Other than the number changing from a 4 on the handset to a 5... why?

The main improvement is latency, 4G is plenty fast enough for most uses, but the latency isn't the best. 

I think why Three has upgraded it's whole core network for 5G is because they're rolling out 5G home broadband before 5G for phones

Laptop:

Spoiler

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

i wonder if sprint trashed their 4G network in chicago for 5G because before when i go to chicago i get 4G LTE everywhere and now i get 3G in most places

I've been an EE customer for 70% of my time holding a mobile phone, and 20% of that was spent with Three. I live in Edinburgh, capital of Scotland and Three's coverage was always garbage indoors and I left them to go back to EE after less than 3 months.

Three do offer exceptionally nice data plans for decent prices, but their coverage - at least where I live - is still something they have to address, as well as their speeds.

Props to Three for offering 5G at no extra cost, as far as I'm aware, 5G plans over on EE will be quite pricey over 4G ones.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

52 minutes ago, seoz said:

I've been an EE customer for 70% of my time holding a mobile phone, and 20% of that was spent with Three. I live in Edinburgh, capital of Scotland and Three's coverage was always garbage indoors and I left them to go back to EE after less than 3 months.

Three do offer exceptionally nice data plans for decent prices, but their coverage - at least where I live - is still something they have to address, as well as their speeds.

Props to Three for offering 5G at no extra cost, as far as I'm aware, 5G plans over on EE will be quite pricey over 4G ones.

Three's coverage tends to be very, very good or very, very poor.

I remember them being abysmal when they first came onto the scene, and only gave them a second chance last year when I grabbed a sim for their free US roaming. They're great where I live, at my office and in London, but there are some dead areas on my drive into work.

Three seem to have an awful lot of the 5G spectrum tied up so hopefully coverage will improve at least comparatively once rolled out

52 minutes ago, seoz said:

Down in Newcastle we have great coverage on Three, but as with all networks, it depends on your area. There's no denying EE's network is good, in fact when I was with EE, I don't think I ever lost signal except from in Kielder. Their 4G network is pretty quick too, I remember being really surprised when I was just doing a speed test and was getting over 100mbps down, I just think their network is way too overpriced 

Laptop:

Spoiler

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

I grabbed a sim for their free US roaming

Yeah, I have a friend who works abroad, so she has a Three PAYG plan, so when they decide she's used it abroad too much, she just gets a new sim, but they seem to have been relaxing the amount of time you can use it abroad now, she was out of the country for 4 months and they didn't stop her roaming this time

Laptop:

Spoiler

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

I remember them being abysmal when they first came onto the scene, and only gave them a second chance last year when I grabbed a sim for their free US roaming. They're great where I live, at my office and in London, but there are some dead areas on my drive into work.

Three seem to have an awful lot of the 5G spectrum tied up so hopefully coverage will improve at least comparatively once rolled out

Absolutely, it's a dice roll for if you'll get good coverage or not on Three, which is ultimately why I decided to leave them due to my usage outside, I needed close enough to 100% coverage.

Agreed, can only hope their 5G rollout improves things for them.

2 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

Down in Newcastle we have great coverage on Three, but as with all networks, it depends on your area. There's no denying EE's network is good, in fact when I was with EE, I don't think I ever lost signal except from in Kielder. Their 4G network is pretty quick too, I remember being really surprised when I was just doing a speed test and was getting over 100mbps down, I just think their network is way too overpriced 

For sure, EE has pretty much 95% signal where I live, compared to around 70% when I was on Three. Take into account speed and Three was just not a good partner to stay with.

Yes, EE can be on the pricey side, but I believe for what you're paying, you're getting near-perfect reliability in signal, speed, and plan offers. I'm on a £21 per month contract which includes 20GB of (4G) data and unlimited calls and texts within the EU. Should note that I got this plan as an offer because I was an EE customer for I think a year, and have stuck by them since. I pay for my own plan and can afford it, and I use my mobile data an awful lot so the price side of things is worth it to me.

1 minute ago, yolosnail said:

Yeah, I have a friend who works abroad, so she has a Three PAYG plan, so when they decide she's used it abroad too much, she just gets a new sim, but they seem to have been relaxing the amount of time you can use it abroad now, she was out of the country for 4 months and they didn't stop her roaming this time

It's an absolute godsend, and their prices are insane. I got a black Friday deal for unlimited everything for £20 a month for 12 months, and fully expect a similar price for a 5G contract this time around.

I understand that their signal is still sketchy in areas, but if you live in an area with good coverage, three are absolutely the way to go

36 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

We switched to Sprint a while ago- prob 3 years or so and were only with them for about 4 months IIRC. Coverage was so shit that I didn’t have reception in our apartment, and I also couldn’t use my phone for GPS going to my friends house one town over. Its not like we lived out in the sticks either. This is one college town to a surrounding smaller town. 

i never have problems where i live which is a suburb 40 minutes away from chicago so its confusing why i would have problems in chicago where you would think they are investing a lot more into the infrastructure and i remember going to chicago in the past without signal issues

7 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

i never have problems where i live which is a suburb 40 minutes away from chicago so its confusing why i would have problems in chicago where you would think they are investing a lot more into the infrastructure and i remember going to chicago in the past without signal issues

4G and 5G can work together, it is just more likely you have shit service in the city because of network congestion. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

53 minutes ago, mr moose said:

4G and 5G can work together, it is just more likely you have shit service in the city because of network congestion. 

With the upgrade to 5G, Three is doing something quite unique and upgrading it's whole core network to alleviate all the congestion, so even it's 4G customers should get a speed increase, in theory at least

Laptop:

Spoiler

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

On 7/26/2019 at 1:21 PM, yolosnail said:

Three UK has just announced prices for their new 5G network,  and that announcement is that there are no changes. 5G will come as standard on every plan.

So this means that customers will be able to get unlimited 5G data for as little as £22 per month

As a Three customer, this is no surprise as they did the same with the launch of 4G, when EE launched their 4G network there was a significant price increase for the faster speeds.

With the 5G launch, this is no different. EE has increased their prices for 4G, and while Vodafone has reasonable prices and unlimited data, they have speed caps on their plans, so you pay more for faster speeds.

The downside is Three's 5G network hasn't been rolled out yet, and my area isn't on the launch list, but the smaller cities an towns around me are!

Source:

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/threes-5g-network-wont-cost-you-any-more-than-4g

http://www.three.co.uk/5g

That's good news. I would be more excited about it though if they fixed their 4G network range.... currently my PAYG sim card on my phone nets me a whole 6Mbit/s down and about 1Mbit/s up on a 2 bar signal at home with Three. and for phone calls, sometimes get drop-outs... admittedly I am on the edge of their area though, so not a complete surprise. That's why I am more interested in Vodas 5G plans, their coverage in my area is second to none, with a full bars signal on 4G, IIRC that nets around 60+ Mbit/s in my house (I'd check, but it's my brother that's with Voda, not me). I am considering ditching my landline in the future for whoever can deliver with 4G/5G in my house, including tethering, unlimited etc... I know Voda can.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

35 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

That's good news. I would be more excited about it though if they fixed their 4G network range.... currently my PAYG sim card on my phone nets me a whole 6Mbit/s down and about 1Mbit/s up on a 2 bar signal at home with Three. and for phone calls, sometimes get drop-outs... admittedly I am on the edge of their area though, so not a complete surprise. That's why I am more interested in Vodas 5G plans, their coverage in my area is second to none, with a full bars signal on 4G, IIRC that nets around 60+ Mbit/s in my house (I'd check, but it's my brother that's with Voda, not me). I am considering ditching my landline in the future for whoever can deliver with 4G/5G in my house, including tethering, unlimited etc... I know Voda can.

I'm lucky in that most networks have fairly good signal around me. Voda are supposed to have full 4G signal at my house, but I'm lucky if I get 20mbps down. In fact I'm supposed to get full 4G for the whole of my bus route, but for a considerable amount of it I scrape by with one bar of 3G. Whereas with Three I rarely get slower than 20mbps down, and it's usually a lot faster than that.

Even in central Newcastle, where I supposedly get '4G+', the speeds are appallingly slow. I've also found the call quality to be a lot clearer with Three than any other network.

But I guess because Three was built from the ground up to be a network for 'internetting', they don't have any of the legacy backbone to slow them down

Laptop:

Spoiler

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

On 7/26/2019 at 3:18 PM, seoz said:

Absolutely, it's a dice roll for if you'll get good coverage or not on Three, which is ultimately why I decided to leave them due to my usage outside, I needed close enough to 100% coverage.

Agreed, can only hope their 5G rollout improves things for them.

For sure, EE has pretty much 95% signal where I live, compared to around 70% when I was on Three. Take into account speed and Three was just not a good partner to stay with.

Yes, EE can be on the pricey side, but I believe for what you're paying, you're getting near-perfect reliability in signal, speed, and plan offers. I'm on a £21 per month contract which includes 20GB of (4G) data and unlimited calls and texts within the EU. Should note that I got this plan as an offer because I was an EE customer for I think a year, and have stuck by them since. I pay for my own plan and can afford it, and I use my mobile data an awful lot so the price side of things is worth it to me.

Were you paying them with proper money, or that Scottish stuff with funny pictures on it? May make the difference you know ;)

Ayyyy.

I knew holding out would be great.

The best 5G UK prices combined with the UK's fastest 5G Network*2 . Sounds awesome to me. EE and BT Group needed to be dethroned.

*1 - Disclosure: I am a Three UK customer.

*2 According to Three UK marketing

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

55 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Ayyyy.

I knew holding out would be great.

The best 5G UK prices combined with the UK's fastest 5G Network*2 . Sounds awesome to me. EE and BT Group needed to be dethroned.

*1 - Disclosure: I am a Three UK customer.

*2 According to Three UK marketing

I think we all knew Three would do something like this, they did the same with 3G, 4G and now 5G

Laptop:

Spoiler

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

The best 5G UK prices combined with the UK's fastest 5G Network*2 .

That is very much debatable. Where I live in Scotland, EE is top dog.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

EE and BT Group needed to be dethroned.

I do agree that some healthy competition would be beneficial for the mobile network market. It would encourage EE to lower their prices which would be great for me as an EE customer. :P

Just now, seoz said:

Where I live in Scotland, EE is top dog.

EE is a solid service in my area too. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

3 minutes ago, seoz said:

That is very much debatable. Where I live in Scotland, EE is top dog.

In 4G EE is the best. But Three's 5G network is the only one in the UK to be considered real 5G.

3 minutes ago, seoz said:

I do agree that some healthy competition would be beneficial for the mobile network market. It would encourage EE to lower their prices which would be great for me as an EE customer. :P

Yeah considering BT Group have really milked their customers ad their position in the market for the past few years.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),