Thread For Tech Quickie Video Suggestions

How Movie Theaters Work. (Content Delivery/Tech and Anti-Piracy)

Specs:

Gaming PC: i5 3570, 16GB 1600MHz, GTX 780 3GB, Transcend 128GB, WD 500GB, Seagate 500GB, Thermaltake 600W Smart, S340 w/ RGB, Windows 10 Pro

Server: Xeon E5 2650, 12GB 1600MHz ECC, 8400GS, WD 2TB + 1TB + 1TB, EVGA 500B 500W, Windows 10 Pro

Laptop: Macbook Pro Retina 2013, i7 4558U, 8GB 1600MHz, Intel Iris Pro 1.5GB, Apple 256GB NVME, Mojave

Internet: $70/month For 500/100, Actually get 525/102

On 13/03/2018 at 3:57 PM, Jtalk4456 said:

Tech for new parents

Noise cancelling headphone :)

I make intelligent lights do cool things

35 minutes ago, YaBoiWill said:

Noise cancelling headphone :)

Definitely NOT. If you're a new parent, you're not wearing headphones, let alone noise cancelling headphones. the second I put headphones on is the second my son decides to run down the hall and smack into his sister, full head on collision and blood coming out of his forehead. I'm speaking from experience. I'd show a gruesome pic, but it's on my phone not my computer and it might get taken down anyway for the amount of blood

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

I'd like to see someone do a comparison of real time hardware video decode/encode performance across the different solutions (nvidia nvenc, intel quicksync, amd vce) with the latest version of ffmpeg.

Whether or not performance changes based on GPU performance across the same generation (slow, inexpensive Quadro P400 vs mid range GTX1050 vs a high end 1080ti, for example), if there is any performance increase is for newer generation hardware engines (AMD VCE 3.0 in polaris vs VCE 4.0 in Vega) what kind of framerate you can achieve with similar encoder preferences across the three solutions, overall power draw during transcoding, etc. with a focus on both 1080p and 2160p video sources to 1080p with both H.264 and H.265 codecs. Highlighting best economy, power efficiency, maximum number of streams, etc.

How Dolby Cinema works.

Pretty cool with 6 different color lasers, almost 100 kilowatt in audio etc.

Tip for tests:

• Full audience, sit in outside corners or center. They say it doesn't matter, but it does. But if you sit near center, the experience is FAR better then any other cinema tech (IMAX etc)
  • Contrast ratio is a lot higher vs IMAX (Imax requires reflective surface due it being polarized, Dolby cinema is standard projection screen)
  • IMAX you need to sit horizontal with the glasses, Dolby cinema you can have your head tilted without problems, for its not polarized, its chroma-keyed (or whatever its called)

A 2018 update on VRAM speed explained (Last one was 2015 I believe). For example how the effect memory bus width has on performance. It is well known by everyone here that when someone who doesn't know that much about what to look for in PC components decides they are going to buy a pre-built system with a monster GPU for gaming or production, or  upgrade their current graphics card (by watching a how-to video, which there's nothing wrong with), they "Spec shop". Higher numbers equals more better for double happiness, right?

But then you look at two cards side by side, one has HBM2 and the other has GDDR5X. The card with HBM2 says 1.75Gbps and the card with GDDR5X says or even 11Gbps. But the review sites and publications who are in in the know, that our customer looks up with any search term starting with "the best..."  are touting (correctly) that HBM2 is higher performance?? Our customer asks, "What gives?" We live in a world where bandwidth speeds in this format (XXGb/s) are preached by ISP's, wireless network providers, and router manufacturers as the endgame. The number that matters. But that's only part of the equation. In comes memory bus width, with HBM2 cards showing up to 4096bit, and cards with GDDR5X showing only 384bit. And now we have GDDR6 on the horizon to add more data to the mix.

An explanation of the relationship between these two numbers would be good. I know this is information that is probably old news to most of us on this forum. But as was stated at the top of this thread. The content in Techquickie videos is supposed to be found by those who don't know. That mom, dad, aunt, or uncle, who just wants to do something nice for themselves, their kid, or nephew or niece, and knows some about computers...but usually just enough to get themselves into trouble. Just enough to take them to the right website or store, and get them to spend the right amount of their budget on something that doesn't fit their needs or wasn't what they were after in regards to performance. Just my suggestion.

4 hours ago, Technician404 said:

-snip-

Memory speed doesn't matter that much anymore which is why I think he doesn't make a update lol

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

27 minutes ago, JDE said:

Memory speed doesn't matter that much anymore which is why I think he doesn't make a update lol

Lol, you're right, not too much anymore, unless you're into Ethereum mining which leans on VRAM hard (in addition to everything else attached to that PCB), but that's obviously off topic from my original post and not the reason for my suggestion. But, in regards to my suggestion, I still think it still might warrant an update, if only to explain why Nvidia and AMD choose one memory type over another, and why it may or may not matter to them, and to not sweat it over the numbers. Thank you for the feedback! :)

Just now, Technician404 said:

Lol, you're right, not too much anymore, unless you're into Ethereum mining which leans on VRAM hard, but that's obviously off topic from my original post and not the reason for my suggestion. But, in regards to my suggestion, I still think it still might warrant an update, if only to explain why Nvidia and AMD choose one memory type over another, and why it may or may not matter to them, and to not sweat it over the numbers. Thank you for the feedback! :)

AMD chose HBM2 because it's a gimmick they continue from the Fury days and because it heavily reduces power consumption. NVIDIA chose GDDR5X even if it's slower because they can get more and it's cheap

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

6 minutes ago, JDE said:

AMD chose HBM2 because it's a gimmick they continue from the Fury days and because it heavily reduces power consumption. NVIDIA chose GDDR5X even if it's slower because they can get more and it's cheap

I would assume that NVIDIA would have more of a reason to use HBM2 on both the Titan V and the Quadro GV100 than it just being a gimmick. Or would they?

1 hour ago, Technician404 said:

I would assume that NVIDIA would have more of a reason to use HBM2 on both the Titan V and the Quadro GV100 than it just being a gimmick. Or would they?

Faster too for work applications

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

• USB C PD (Power Delivery)

How it works?

What it will enable us to do?(charge any phone, laptop, gadget, etc)

Andriod on PC

Best of myself(1000th post)

Vista

Core i5-8400

8GB DDR4

GTX 1050ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI H310M PRO-VD

EVGA 450BT

Cooler Master masterbox lite 3.1

Arctic Cat

Core 2 quad q8200

8GB DDR2 ECC

GTX 550ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD

Dell precision t3400 motherboard

On 4/25/2013 at 11:11 AM, LinusTech said:

The old thread in the vBulletin forum got lost in the migration (don't worry I still have access to it and I'll still look at it) so I'm creating a new one.

Guidelines

1. Video should be possible to watch in 1-2 minutes.
 2. No elaborate props. If we can't shoot it in the white box with a couple of demonstrative pieces, it's probably not feasible.
 3. Keep it simple! The idea here is to simplify computer concepts to the point where your mom can understand it. Not looking for "how to peel the ramspreaders off your memory"

I will read these suggestions, but I may not reply to this thread very often. That doesn't mean I'm not paying attention, it just means I'm busy creating lots of new video content 

If you haven't heard of Tech Quickie, it's another YouTube channel we run for paid content and the ever-popular "Fast As Possible" series.

Techquickie's channel - YouTube

Learn about the latest cool technology in only a couple minutes! Hosted by Linus Sebastian

Multiboot as fast as possible

Cloning of SSDs/HDDs and probably a tutorial.

Javascript as fast as possible.  Javascript runs a majority of websites so it would be an interesting to see the basics of it and it's integration with html as well as it's history.

On 25/4/2013 at 5:11 PM, LinusTech said:

The old thread in the vBulletin forum got lost in the migration (don't worry I still have access to it and I'll still look at it) so I'm creating a new one.

Guidelines

1. Video should be possible to watch in 1-2 minutes.
 2. No elaborate props. If we can't shoot it in the white box with a couple of demonstrative pieces, it's probably not feasible.
 3. Keep it simple! The idea here is to simplify computer concepts to the point where your mom can understand it. Not looking for "how to peel the ramspreaders off your memory"

I will read these suggestions, but I may not reply to this thread very often. That doesn't mean I'm not paying attention, it just means I'm busy creating lots of new video content 

If you haven't heard of Tech Quickie, it's another YouTube channel we run for paid content and the ever-popular "Fast As Possible" series.

Techquickie's channel - YouTube

Learn about the latest cool technology in only a couple minutes! Hosted by Linus Sebastian

Can you make a video on different types of displays (IPS, OLED, TN etc.)?

On 29/3/2018 at 8:02 PM, teddy9264 said:

Java vs JavaScript - I’m so confused!!!

Short answer, 2 completely different coding languages for very different types of applications. (Almost front end vs backend for example)

How does 'Video Scrubbing' work? On YouTube and other media platforms where you scroll over the timeline, you get preview images.

How about a bit of nostalgia:

1- Direct Memory Access (yesteryear vs now)

2- Interrupt Request (IRQ)

Or maybe what a kernel is vs GUI

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...