Has anyone else noticed a precipitous drop in packed-in USB cable durability?

Baryn

I haven't really had a USB cable fail on me since... USB became a thing.  However, in the last 2 years, I've had a handful just kick the bucket.  Both Mini-USB and Micro-USB.

I'm not going on the road with my cables often, so they're not getting roughed up.  In fact, one of the failures was the cable for my charging stand, which never even moves.

Anyone else notice this?  And, could it be related to global manufacturing standards getting cheaper (and worse) for commonly-packed cables?

2 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Depends on the company I guess, cables are an obvious way for lowering costs imo

Right, I neglected to mention that I have been cannibalizing cables for my oft-used items from other things.  For example, the Vive VR headset doesn't get a lot of use from me anymore, but it came with several very premium Micro-USB cables.

It's kind of weird to think about.  "Premium USB cables."

In my experience, buying multiple cheap cables has been cheaper than buying a few really good ones anyway. 

I've had good luck with Amazon USB-C cables. I have a Micro-B to USB-C cable for my external USB HDD. Cable is very thick and feels sturdy. I bought some lighting cables from them, they are pretty cheap but they still work (barely). Once they break I'll buy another for less than $6 probably. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

In my experience, buying multiple cheap cables has been cheaper than buying a few really good ones anyway. 

I've had good luck with Amazon USB-C cables. I have a Micro-B to USB-C cable for my external USB HDD. Cable is very thick and feels sturdy. I bought some lighting cables from them, they are pretty cheap but they still work (barely). Once they break I'll buy another for less than $6 probably. 

I prefer something that will last several years, and under my use, my cables tend to last for years. Soon as my sibling and Dad get ahold of them though, lifespan drops to about a month... Maybe...

This is with Micro-B. USB-C seems to show somewhat faster wear on the cable end, though the biggest pain is the lint getting inside the port ifself and being a PITFA to clean out. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

The best cables I've ever had are those magnetic ones, I don't currently have a phone/tablet with a type C connector, everything is still micro.  So I picked up a couple of cables with the magnetic tips... those sit in my phone/tablet and never need to be removed, prolonging the life of the socket and the cable as it no longer gets kinked are moved around.

I paid around £10 for a pair, one sits in my home office and the other in my car... I got some for my mum too as she'd had multiple failures... one of which shorted out and damaged 2 tablets.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.