12 pin CPU header?

I was looking for some boards since I want to upgrade my CPU and I noticed that some of them have 8 then a 4 pin power connectors. Like the one I want here https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813144262.
My PSU only has two 4 pin connectors.
Do I need a cord with 12 pins or is the other 4 pins just for extra overclocking power or something?

You just need two 4+4 connectors, though its probably not necessary for most use cases.

8700K @ 5.2ghz 1.29V, 4x8 Rev.E @ 4040 13-20-20-39 1.7V.

5 minutes ago, Trippsy said:

I was looking for some boards since I want to upgrade my CPU and I noticed that some of them have 8 then a 4 pin power connectors. Like the one I want here https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813144262.
My PSU only has two 4 pin connectors.
Do I need a cord with 12 pins or is the other 4 pins just for extra overclocking power or something?

The 4 pin is an older backwards compatible plug. the 8pin should be able to plugin to the 4pin socket.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

No, his 4+4 connector goes into the 8 pin connector on the motherboard and the 4 remains unused.

The power supply is designed to split the 8 pin EPS connector into 2 x 4 pin, so that user can insert one on the 4 pin connectors into a motherboard that has only a 4 pin connector for the CPU power.

on some new motherboards meant for heavy overclocking that extra power conector might be used when overclocking a 8 or more cores cpu

if your cpu only has 4 or 6 cores is likely you will not need that extra cpu power cable

if your psu is decent enough you can do some light overcloking on 6 cores, 500mhz without problem on such motherboard, consider that i made a 700mhz overclock on 4 cores athlon that ate around 140 watts, with a cx500 psu, psu never let me hear psu fan and that is not a good psu, is on the cheap side, using only 4 of the 8 pins

The 8 pin EPS connector is good for 380 watts.

The 3rd gen Ryzen processors don't consume even 200w when overclocked (the way a normal user would overclock). See picture below.

You can see the Ryzen 5 3600 reaches 90w when overclocked (only 79.2w without overclocking) and the 3900x (12 core) reached 170w when overclocked.

As an idea, a single 4 pin power connector is good for around 9-10A per pair of wires, so 2 pairs x 10A x 12v = 240w... It would be safe to power a non-overclocked Ryzen R9 3900, with its 150w peak power consumption, using just a 4 pin connector.... not recommended, but would be possible.

Someone that uses extreme overclocking may get 12core or 16core (when released) Ryzen processors near the 300-350w mark, in which case using the extra 4 pin connector would help reduce the current going through each wire between the power supply and motherboard and also reduce the "strain" on the 8 pin connector. Basically, more wires and more connectors means the connectors and the wires will heat a bit less - they heat up a bit due to wire resistance and the resistance at the contact between the connectors.

image.png.503c94536a4a777e8f242bc01f33479b.png