Japan imposing export ban to Korean for electronic parts and materials

appleache

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/07/03/business/japan-looks-turn-heat-south-korea-stricter-export-controls-items/#.XR9eb49OmUk

Expanding the list of items, possibly to include electronic parts and related materials that can be diverted to military use, will likely exacerbate bilateral tensions, and some within the government remain cautious about taking further steps, the sources said.

Japan has already announced it will require manufacturers, effective Thursday, to file applications when they export to South Korea three materials used in the production of semiconductors and displays for smartphones and TVs.

as for "display" it is mainly OLED related material, which is a huge deal

Speaking at a news conference Tuesday in Tokyo, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said the export controls on the three items would be enforced for national security reasons, denying it is a retaliatory step over the wartime labor issue.

The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry is also seeking to remove South Korea from its “white list” of countries that are considered as posing no security risk and can receive preferential treatment in export procedures.

I wonder who they learn that from

the reason for the trade ban

Since late last year, a series of court rulings in South Korea have ordered Japanese firms to compensate people who said they were forced to work during Japan’s 1910-45 colonization of the Korean Peninsula.

Japan has maintained that the issue of compensation has been settled “completely and finally” under a 1965 bilateral agreement.

After the firms refused to follow the court orders to pay compensation, lawyers for the South Korean plaintiffs seized the firms’ assets through local courts and are now threatening to sell them.

At the governmental level, Japan’s initial efforts to solve the dispute through bilateral consultations failed after South Korea did not respond.

Japan then proposed in May to set up a three-country arbitration panel under the 1965 accord, but South Korea let the deadline for selecting a panel member pass.

In June, South Korea proposed that companies from both countries fund compensation for the plaintiffs, but Japan rebuffed the proposal.

4 minutes ago, Arika S said:

how can an OLED panel be for " military use" in any meaningful way?

"military use" is for various semiconductor, electronic, not just panel.

If you want to stretch far, army training VR headset lmao.

but you know, everything can be "national security" nowadays since US opened the flood gate.

Since I don't know the details on this one, is this like the Comfort Women issue where it was really Chinese Intelligence using Korean fronts? Because this would be a great way to trip up regional adversaries. The SK-Japan Trade War wasn't high on the probability list this year, but it's been a pretty wild one already.

6 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Since I don't know the details on this one, is this like the Comfort Women issue where it was really Chinese Intelligence using Korean fronts? Because this would be a great way to trip up regional adversaries. The SK-Japan Trade War wasn't high on the probability list this year, but it's been a pretty wild one already.

No, korea is always on US side, take the missle crisis for example, plus they need US much more than Japan becasue they have an atom boy right on their north side, they are always the most loyal one.

Comfort Women is a ASIAN issue, it is just China & Korea have enough voice, same for many more issues. Korea hates Japan MUCH MUCH more that China, if you visit Korea you will find they hardly use any Japan electronic or car.

It still funny has heck that Japan decided to do it at G20, a massive cock for everyone there. I did not expect anything else from Japan foreign policy thu, on G20 they are still giving international guest the food's from fukushima ffs.

murica starts trade war with china and bans houway

everybody else giphy.gif

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

This seems like a weird issue tbh. It's understandable that South Korea doesn't like Japan because of what they did to them but it seems like that was a long time ago and I dont get why they are bring it up now. 

10 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

This seems like a weird issue tbh. It's understandable that South Korea doesn't like Japan because of what they did to them but it seems like that was a long time ago and I dont get why they are bring it up now. 

it always been there, if you watch a lot of international news, this comes up every year, it is just now Japan decided to go nuclear, prob because they got some assurance to back them up from trump etc.

25 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Centuries of hostile foreign suzerainty (whether as a tributary state or outright foreign occupation by China or Japan) coupled with the effective enslavement of the native population  and attempted cultural genocide when the Japanese had their go...

Stuff like that isn't going to disappear off the collective (sub)-consciousness in just a couple generations, when the populace itself is capable of keeping written records.

10 minutes ago, thorhammerz said:

Centuries of hostile foreign suzerainty (whether as a tributary state or outright foreign occupation by China or Japan) coupled with the effective enslavement of the native population  and attempted cultural genocide when the Japanese had their go...

Stuff like that isn't going to disappear off the collective (sub)-consciousness in just a couple generations, when the populace itself is capable of keeping written records.

it is more of Japanese problem than Korean, although Korea does have a strong nationalism. Japan has never being properly trial like Germany. there is still a strong imperial sentiment in high elite, take the Yasukuni for example. not to mentions culturally there still large amount of fantasizing for that era, like in anime etc, even cosplay as old emperial soldier is usual. (now try wearing a Nazi uniform in public). even the school are leaving out stuff like unit 731, not to mention some try to intentionally while washing  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_history_textbook_controversies

I don't blame japan not wanting to pay reparations to people who weren't alive during that time, punishing the people in japan who also had no part in those horrors

2 hours ago, appleache said:

it is more of Japanese problem than Korean, although Korea does have a strong nationalism. Japan has never being properly trial like Germany. there is still a strong imperial sentiment in high elite, take the Yasukuni for example. not to mentions culturally there still large amount of fantasizing for that era, like in anime etc, even cosplay as old emperial soldier is usual. (now try wearing a Nazi uniform in public). even the school are leaving out stuff like unit 731, not to mention some try to intentionally while washing  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_history_textbook_controversies

the sad truth is that probably most countries play around with their history depending on current affairs, in africa for example there is lots that its taken out, their history books for schools are a small A6 book with 40 ish pages per main event / time, but interestingly enough the time where it was a colony has like 6-10 pages, because there is lots there that would go against their current dogma, i heard that in the US they now focus mainly on the less religious Founding Fathers though i dont have first hand experience with that so its unconfirmed how true that is.

about these trade tariffs and bans, i dislike the bans more, but i am ok with the tariffs as long as they are being used as bargaining chips for deals and they aren't trying to straight up black mail the guys

4 hours ago, Eaglerino said:

I don't blame japan not wanting to pay reparations to people who weren't alive during that time, punishing the people in japan who also had no part in those horrors 

they are not asking Japanese people to pay, they are asking Japan gov & companies. it not about payment, it just about attitude at this point. Plus it is the worker that is actually suing, and it is not even that much to begin with

It upheld a lower-court ruling in 2013 that Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal must pay 100 million won, or about $88,700, to each of four South Korean men who said they had been subjected to forced labor between 1941 and 1943. Korea was a Japanese colony from 1910 until Japan’s surrender in 1945. The ruling could apply to pending cases involving other companies accused of using forced labor.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/30/world/asia/south-korea-japan-compensation-world-war-two.html

When you're being made responsible for acts that happened long before most people living today were alive... during WARTIME of all things... for which you've already compensated them by about 800 millions... But they are still demanding more decades later because it somehow came back into the news and everyone just forget you've compensated them... You just can't please everybody, they will always demand more and more and more.

The "crime" is quickly remembered, but the "apology" is forever forgotten until you get a new one from them.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

9 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

People don’t forget easily. Same could be said for the Nazi trials, which are still going on today. Personally, what the Japanese did to China and SK was quite unforgivable (and to the British and Anz POW).

However it’s not an issue that should be sorted out by private companies, the Japanese government needs to claim more responsibility - but the past is the past, and it’s not right to use the G20 to submit stuff like this.

16 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

When you're being made responsible for acts that happened long before most people living today were alive... during WARTIME of all things... for which you've already compensated them by about 800 millions... But they are still demanding more decades later because it somehow came back into the news and everyone just forget you've compensated them... You just can't please everybody, they will always demand more and more and more.

The "crime" is quickly remembered, but the "apology" is forever forgotten until you get a new one from them.

I don't know how much time I have to say this in this thread. it always about getting Japan to fully admin it's wrong. why do you not see german get the same treatment? because they have done everything they can to extirpate Nazism. textbook, education, banning swastika etc. but in Japan, there is people in education that is activity leaving out large part of history. not to mentioned a lot of other thing Japan is doing purely to piss off other country. because the pp who is running gov now a the same bunch of people as in ww2. simply say, they do this to themselves

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21226068

https://youtu.be/lnAC-Y9p_sY

51 minutes ago, floofer said:

People don’t forget easily. Same could be said for the Nazi trials, which are still going on today. Personally, what the Japanese did to China and SK was quite unforgivable (and to the British and Anz POW).

However it’s not an issue that should be sorted out by private companies, the Japanese government needs to claim more responsibility - but the past is the past, and it’s not right to use the G20 to submit stuff like this.

people forget is one thing, school deliberately don't teach you is the other. several of my Japanese roomate ( exchange student) simply don't know about unit 731 or even Nanjing Massacre, it like german school dont teach you about concentration camp. not to mentioned several Japanese high up still saying Nanjing Massacre is a fabrication

1 minute ago, appleache said:

people forget is one thing, school deliberately don't teach you is the other. several of my Japanese roomate ( exchange student) simply don't know about unit 731 or even Nanjing Massacre, it like german school dont teach you about concentration camp. not to mentioned several Japanese high up still saying Nanjing Massacre is a fabrication

Well that's up to them to decide for themselves whether to be the bigger man. It's not really a topic to talk about on this forum. Personally, as a person of jewish descent, with my Grandmother being jewish during the war (quite traumatic for her - was quite scary near the end), the Germans have done quite well in terms of reparations, and I think perhaps they treated themselves a bit harshly. Quite lovely people just like everyone else. However the stuff my grandfather said, and he served in the east, made me a little prejudiced against Japanese, even though some of them are quite lovely. 

The truth of the matter is the world has itself moved on. Even though it may be hard, it is ridiculous to persecute the naive or misjudged. We're all people here and now. 

12 hours ago, Arika S said:

how can an OLED panel be for " military use" in any meaningful way?

Maybe to spy in 8k definition?

I'm greatly above potato, but I'm getting there...

Midrange Potato LVL 60:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 with Snowman MT-6 Dual Fans (CPU @ 3.8 GHz - 4.375 GHz to 4.5 GHz @ 1.1V - 1.35V),

MOBO: MSI B550-A Pro
GPU: Asrock RX 5600 XT Phantom Gaming D3 (1820MHz core @930mV)

RAM: TeamGroup T-Force Delta DDR4 Gaming 16GB (2x8GB) 3000MHz 16-17-17-37-58 @ 1.35V,

HARD DRIVE: WD 1TB Blue 
SSD: Toshiba XG5 Series NVMe 512GB (KXG50GVN512G) & Crucial MX500 1TB

CASE: DeepCool Kendomen Titanium case
PSU: Corsair RM-750 (2019) 80+ Gold

Display: Asus VP249QGR via HDMI (144Hz)

Keyboard: Generic PS/2 Keyboard

Mouse: Generic Honeycomb 250Hz Mouse
Speakers: Generic Headset

And yes, there are now fans. 5 Arctic P12 PST's

Userbenchmark Run: 
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/25234338 I don't trust that site anymore

12 hours ago, appleache said:

No, korea is always on US side, take the missle crisis for example, plus they need US much more than Japan becasue they have an atom boy right on their north side, they are always the most loyal one.

Comfort Women is a ASIAN issue, it is just China & Korea have enough voice, same for many more issues. Korea hates Japan MUCH MUCH more that China, if you visit Korea you will find they hardly use any Japan electronic or car.

It still funny has heck that Japan decided to do it at G20, a massive cock for everyone there. I did not expect anything else from Japan foreign policy thu, on G20 they are still giving international guest the food's from fukushima ffs.

Uh.. You're kind of wrong about Japanese electronics in South Korea. I just saw a bunch of Sony headphones being sold in a bookstore.

Sony, Nintendo, etc are all popular. We don't use Japanese cars that much because we have cheaper alternatives like Hyundai.

We don't "hate" Japan.

I would like to clarify something as a South Korean.

We are *not* hating on Japan as a whole. We want the Japanese *government* to chalk up to its acts and be like Germany. So far, the Japanese government has tried to deny and bury the issue. This attitude is what we have a problem with.

We are fine with companies like Nintendo. We are not fine with war companies.

Also note that North Korea has gotten no compensation or an apology from Japan.

On 7/6/2019 at 12:17 AM, realpetertdm said:

Also note that North Korea has gotten no compensation or an apology from Japan.

To be entirely fair here do you think they'd even take it?  I mean haven't they outright denied or blocked off aid and supplies from other countries in the past? 

Just now, TacoSenpai said:

To be entirely fair here do you think they'd even take it?  I mean haven't they outright denied or blocked off aid and supplies from other countries in the past? 

Would the Japanese also be slipping a nice little "donation" to the dear leader's Swiss bank account ??

5 minutes ago, thorhammerz said:

Would the Japanese also be slipping a nice little "donation" to the dear leader's Swiss bank account ??

Only if it included copies of Boku no Pico