Cheap or free Home School UK?

Guiltyxz

Hi, I’m less than 16 and school just isn’t working for me. I’m in the UK and I was wondering is there a way to Home School/Online School for cheap or free? My parents aren’t stay at home parents so it would have to be a tutor/online. I was looking at khan academy but I don’t know if you can use that for home school in the UK

PC: Ryzen 7 2700 | RX 5700 XT | Asus Prime B450-PLUS | CoolerMaster Masterwatt 600W | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz RAM | 512GB NVME SSD & 7TB combined HDD | macOS Monterey 12.6.6, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and WIndows 10 Pro x64

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" 2015 | i7-4870HQ | R9 M370X | 16gb | 1tb SSD

iPhone 13 Pro Max | 256GB | iOS 15.7

My Folding Stats | #MuricaParrotGang

If UK home schooling works anything at all like US home schooling your parents would have to vouch for pulling you from public school and the school would send you regular tests to make sure you're learning everything you're suppose to be.

So if your parents can't actually be there to teach you that's not a good first step to the school/district allowing you to go. If you do go anyways and you fall behind because nobody is there to teach you what you need to know the school will pull you back in and your parents could get in legal trouble.

Again that is if their rules are like the U.S. education system but I'm going to assume they're different in a multitude of ways so your mileage will vary.

Word of the wise here:

Home schooling is an absolute last resort sort of decision to make, it really only ever "works" for those who cannot safely to go school due to a physical or mental illness. In my life, I have met plenty of home schooled kids, none are well adjusted simply because they did not have social contact while growing up.

Also, there will never be free home schooling, and I would be weary of anything cheap. By home schooling, you are paying for the costs of tuition to the service hosting the schooling, the wage of the teacher, and all materials costs. It's like going to college, which at it's absolute cheapest around here (southern US) is ~1200USD/950GBP/1060 euro in tuition alone, ignoring materials costs. Expect to pay around this for anything, unless the home schooling market is drastically different in the UK.

Also, general good advise is not to run from your problems. Whatever is making school "not work", talk to the adults in power. Teacher, Guidance Counselor, your parents, whoever has the most direct control. I'm sure you've heard this 1000 times, and I'm sure others in this thread will say it, but as somebody who is actually living in the education system of 2019 you will never regret making your concerns be heard.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

im gonna say one thing just live with it deal with it i already suffer enough that i know all of those isnt going to matter later on or maybe will because you have the mental of just doing it not because you have to because i have no reason not to.
Well idk how the structure of home schooling but if you found 1 i hope its a good 1 good luck dude.

SenpaiKaplan is absolutely right about everything. If your issue has to do with something mental or you genuinely need it, then that's totally understandable. I emphasize the the impact that it might have on you since there would be no social contact. My friend doesn't go to school because of anxiety that runs in the family and he doesn't understand social ques and manners the same just because he isn't there. It would obviously be different since you're already 13 but being isolated will still have an effect.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Don't. Whatever the situation is, go to school, many reasons why. If you think it is not working then home schooling won't work either. And trust me, almost everyone thought that school was pointless at 13 years.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

The UK is really strict on clamping down on truancy, so local authorities want to see provisions put in place for people who home school. You will need a private tutor or someone with a degree in teaching at secondary school level. This will not come cheap, costing in excess of thousands, but if you have severe mental or physical disabilities the council or government may subsidise this cost. Also you will need to be enlisted under a secondary school, which will provide some resources and are responsible for managing your GCSE entries etc. But unless you're severely handicapped, I'd suggest staying at school until 16, so you can feel the sweet, sweet feeling of walking out of the final exam knowing it's all over.

Also this is in the wrong section, could a mod please move it. And why on earth are you asking a tech forum on life advice?

Thanks to everyone who responded. Also @Vulkan HeStan, I forgot to pick the off topic one

PC: Ryzen 7 2700 | RX 5700 XT | Asus Prime B450-PLUS | CoolerMaster Masterwatt 600W | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz RAM | 512GB NVME SSD & 7TB combined HDD | macOS Monterey 12.6.6, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and WIndows 10 Pro x64

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" 2015 | i7-4870HQ | R9 M370X | 16gb | 1tb SSD

iPhone 13 Pro Max | 256GB | iOS 15.7

My Folding Stats | #MuricaParrotGang

2 hours ago, josbeph83 said:

Hi, I’m less than 16 and school just isn’t working for me. I’m in the UK and I was wondering is there a way to Home School/Online School for cheap or free? My parents aren’t stay at home parents so it would have to be a tutor/online. I was looking at khan academy but I don’t know if you can use that for home school in the UK

I don't think online home school is a thing that exists (or would be allowed to exist) in the UK. If you're home-schooled I think you actually need a person there at home teaching you. And it all gets checked up on.

17 hours ago, josbeph83 said:

Online Schooling can be a great alternative to normal schools if you can't go there for some reason. Keep in mind tho:

That kind of more self-paced learning is more hard work than you have right now. Don't consider an online school

because you want something academically less intense. 

You have to understand one fact: You will neither get legal or money support by most European governments for Online Schooling, if you don't have disabilities.

This means, you can't just tell your local school administration you will change to an Online School, because it is nothing official. 

If you really want this, there are 2 options:

1. You have a disability, either mental or physical, that is severe enough so a doctor will make up a letter that you can't attend normal school.

2. You are old enough so education in a school is no must anymore. Then nobody from the government is interested whether you attend an online school or not. I believe it's a minimum age of 16 in the UK, but don't quote me on that.

I will suppose only the second option is the case. Congratulations: You can now carry responsibility for your own education (as long as your parents agree).

BUT: Like you carry the responsibility yourself which makes you have a choice, you also carry the financial responsibility the government was carrying before.

Every teacher, whether he is working for an online school or a personal attendance one, needs to be paid.

Prices can range from 300 USD per month open end. US prices are given because there are the only good options for online schooling.

Hope I could clarify a bit,

Caspar

Stick it out until the end of the year (it should only be a few weeks) then arrange a meeting with the school, they maybe able put things in place for the next year like smaller groups and support in lessons that you struggle with. Unfortunately home/online schooling isn't enough these days meaning that if you move onto further education (college/Sixth form) you'll be required to retake GCSE English and Maths because without decent grades you'll struggle to get apprenticeships or find employers to take you on for full-time work. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

1 hour ago, Mr. horse said:

That is a load off bull corn. Almost my entire family from brothers and sisters to cousins were home schooled. Aside form me being dyslexic none of us are have physical or mental illness. Many home school their kids for religious reasons and still have perfectly normal social lives. Most of my family went onto college and now have rather prestigious jobs, engineers, doctors, pilots and so on.

You don't have to pay for tuition or anything other then the typical school supplies. You can at lest when I was in school use your own curriculum and just submit (with proof) your progress to the appropriate people.

I did my high school grades almost entirely on my own. And I gradated high school almost 2 years early as I was able to work through the summer and weekends.

I don't doubt that that was your senario, but that goes against everything I have known from people close to me.

Different experiences for different folks, different scenarios and all ?‍♂️

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 

1 hour ago, Mr. horse said:

In all honestly I never really see the case you posted about. Not saying it does not happen. Because I"m sure it does.

It's all I've seen, but we are probably from very different areas and live different lives with different people.

I don't doubt that home schooling works for people who don't strictly need it, but I haven't seen it. The fact that you can honestly say it has worked for you and others is heartwarming to me.

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

On 6/9/2019 at 12:58 PM, SenpaiKaplan said:

Word of the wise here:

Home schooling is an absolute last resort sort of decision to make, it really only ever "works" for those who cannot safely to go school due to a physical or mental illness. In my life, I have met plenty of home schooled kids, none are well adjusted simply because they did not have social contact while growing up.

Also, there will never be free home schooling, and I would be weary of anything cheap. By home schooling, you are paying for the costs of tuition to the service hosting the schooling, the wage of the teacher, and all materials costs. It's like going to college, which at it's absolute cheapest around here (southern US) is ~1200USD/950GBP/1060 euro in tuition alone, ignoring materials costs. Expect to pay around this for anything, unless the home schooling market is drastically different in the UK.

Also, general good advise is not to run from your problems. Whatever is making school "not work", talk to the adults in power. Teacher, Guidance Counselor, your parents, whoever has the most direct control. I'm sure you've heard this 1000 times, and I'm sure others in this thread will say it, but as somebody who is actually living in the education system of 2019 you will never regret making your concerns be heard.

I disagree with you partially. I was homeschooled, and I'm a normally functioning adult. That being said, the only reason it worked out that way was because one of my parents stayed home to teach my sibling and I. Trying to solo it will be a rough ride.

That being said, I agree with the "don't run" argument. I am not crazy about my ongoing secondary education, but there's no way around it. I think the OP needs to decide if he/she genuinely "needs" to be homeschooled, or if they just don't like school, like so many of us. Homeschooling is the same work being done, just at home.

And +1 on the expensive side of things.

Screwdriver specs: Long, pointy. Turns things. Some kind of metal.

Main rig: 

i9-7900x | Asus X299-Prime | 4x8GB G-Skill TridentZ @3300MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | Intel 5400S 1TB | Corsair HX1200

unRAID server:

Xeon  E5-1630v4 |  Asus X99-E WS | 4x8GB G-Skill DDR4 @2400MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB cache drive | 12TB spinning rust | Corsair RM750X

FreeNAS server:

AMD something-or-other | Asus prebuilt sadness | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 9TB magnetic storage | Potential fire threat

HTPC:

i7-4790 | GTX1650 | Dell Sadness | 12GB DDR3-1600 | Samsung 860 250GB | 1TB magnetic storage | James Loudspeaker SPL3 x2 | Corsair SF450

On 6/9/2019 at 3:53 PM, Windows7ge said:

If UK home schooling works anything at all like US home schooling your parents would have to vouch for pulling you from public school and the school would send you regular tests to make sure you're learning everything you're suppose to be.

So if your parents can't actually be there to teach you that's not a good first step to the school/district allowing you to go. If you do go anyways and you fall behind because nobody is there to teach you what you need to know the school will pull you back in and your parents could get in legal trouble.

Again that is if their rules are like the U.S. education system but I'm going to assume they're different in a multitude of ways so your mileage will vary.

Tell that to the Amish in America. Their children are learning 15th century farming methods and how to ride horses/ponies. 

Their education ends at 13 years old. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

8 hours ago, Lord Mirdalan said:

I disagree with you partially. I was homeschooled, and I'm a normally functioning adult. That being said, the only reason it worked out that way was because one of my parents stayed home to teach my sibling and I. Trying to solo it will be a rough ride.

That being said, I agree with the "don't run" argument. I am not crazy about my ongoing secondary education, but there's no way around it. I think the OP needs to decide if he/she genuinely "needs" to be homeschooled, or if they just don't like school, like so many of us. Homeschooling is the same work being done, just at home.

And +1 on the expensive side of things.

I'm wondering... How would you apply to college if you were homeschool? Most need to see your high school diploma so how does that work?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 6/9/2019 at 2:58 PM, SenpaiKaplan said:

Word of the wise here:

Never bean to school I am homeschooled it ain't a last resort!

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

7 hours ago, wasab said:

Tell that to the Amish in America. Their children are learning 15th century farming methods and how to ride horses/ponies. 

Forgot about them. To my knowledge most of them live secluded independent in their own settlements. I know part of their culture has them occasionally going out into the modern day community but otherwise they live in their own world they just happen to be within the US so I don't think they're bound to the same terms.

Not sure why you brought them up. It was kind of irrelevant.

Plenty of universities do online degrees now. 

9 hours ago, wasab said:

I would not say there education ends at 13 but there schooling dose.

I known a few Amish and mennonites. Wile they do not know the same things you or I would know, they are rather smart. Like early/mid 1800s smart and most are bilingual.

18 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

I would not say there education ends at 13 but there schooling dose.

I known a few Amish and mennonites. Wile they do not know the same things you or I would know, they are rather smart. Like early/mid 1800s smart and most are bilingual.

Their education stops at 8th grade. They may be smart but they are squandering it by not educating their children properly. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

28 minutes ago, wasab said:

Their education stops at 8th grade. They may be smart but they are squandering it by not educating their children properly. 

Have you spent any time with such people ? Just because they don't learn all the extra and quite frankly mostly useless stuff dose not mean there squandering anything. And there schooling does end at 8th grade, but not there education, there taken out of school then and thought real life skills in the real world.

OK guys, let me tell you how it actually works. You have to send a letter to the school you currently attend and you should be taken off attendance and be allowed to leave to educate yourself, however someone from the local council will be in contact to make sure you actually have a plan for your education. You will need some kind of schedule/calendar and you will need to keep notebooks and files with all your work and grades. Wolsey Hall is an option in the UK, it is essential an online school with assignments, grades, tests, exam prep, etc. They give you all the online reasources and textbooks you will need and you will have a tutor for each subject you can ask questions at any point. They will grade and give feedback on the assignments that you will need to submit, basically tests or essays. These are graded and using Wolsey Hall makes it easier to provide the council with proof that you are being educated. Wolsey Hall is expensive, I think £1000-2000 a year for 7 GCSEs. I wouldn't reccomend it unless you absolutetly have to. It is very difficult to educate yourself and stay focused. let me know if you have any questions @josbeph83

Zeddex

Desktop: Slick

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600    Motherboard: Asus Prime X470-Pro    RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz CL16   GPU: GTX 1080 8GB 

Storage: Samsung PM981 256GB (970 EVO)    PSU: Corsair TX650M   Case: Lian-Li PCO11 Dynamic - White  Fans: Deepcool RF120mm RGB

Peripherals: HP Omen X 35 Ultrawide (3440x1440, 100hz, G-Sync), Logitech g903, mdr-1000x, umc22 + AKG D5, Drevo Blademaster 87K RGB (Gateron Browns)

Laptop: Surface Laptop 2 Platinum - i5 8250u, 8gb ram, 256gb nvme, 13 inch pixelsense touch display

Phone: Huawei Mate 20 pro 128gb Black + iphone 6s 32gb gold

11 minutes ago, Zeddex said:

OK guys, let me tell you how it actually works. You have to send a letter to the school you currently attend and you should be taken off attendance and be allowed to leave to educate yourself, however someone from the local council will be in contact to make sure you actually have a plan for your education. You will need some kind of schedule/calendar and you will need to keep notebooks and files with all your work and grades. Wolsey Hall is an option in the UK, it is essential an online school with assignments, grades, tests, exam prep, etc. They give you all the online reasources and textbooks you will need and you will have a tutor for each subject you can ask questions at any point. They will grade and give feedback on the assignments that you will need to submit, basically tests or essays. These are graded and using Wolsey Hall makes it easier to provide the council with proof that you are being educated. Wolsey Hall is expensive, I think £1000-2000 a year for 7 GCSEs. I wouldn't reccomend it unless you absolutetly have to. It is very difficult to educate yourself and stay focused. let me know if you have any questions @josbeph83

Zeddex

This is for in the UK?