why is xvid still a thing?

zassou

i just realised that some groups still publish xvid movies on tpb / rarbg despite h264 is already decade old and h265 is all the rage. and most of them are in sd, sometimes 720p resolution.

i'm not familiar with xvid (and divx) codec, but if im not mislead by wikipedia, it's basically a codec that largely compatible with mpeg4 standard and the specs is very close to h264. speaking of which, rm / rmvb was quite popular back then, and it's also based on h264, plays well on all kinds of agricultural equipments. so why did rm gone but xvid isnt?

(yes i'm a filthy pirate, yarr)

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

58 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

Pirates are cheap and poor and cant afford a PC that can handle h264

Hardly. It's more like catering to older systems that can't handle modern rips.

Offer products to all your clients, regardless of status, in other words.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

A lot of old dvd players and TVs can decode xvid but can't decode h264

A lot of content that's released encoded with XVID is SD quality, videos recorded with cameras in cinemas etc ... for SD content, in some cases XVID can produce better quality than more modern codecs... h264 and newer codecs are often more optimized for HD resolutions, and these newer codecs can produce additional artifacts..

You may also find XVID used for TV episodes or episodes ripped from DVDs but it's more and more shifting to h264 and even hevc these days.

A lot of groups follow "scene rules" ... for some categories of releases they simply never updated their "rules" as there's little interest or little benefit from newer codecs ... ex tv episodes (when you can get web-dl rips a few hours later, so they go for speed of release not necessarily quality)

I don’t mind, it’s a nostalgic codec 

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

It's been awhile since I came across Xvid. Didn't think it was still used when h.264 support is very widespread (with CPUs as old as C2D being able to brute force decode the hi10p variety), and h.265 gaining steam.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Kind of like asking "Why is Windows XP still a thing?"  As much as companies would love everyone to spend all their money immediately, not everyone can afford an upgrade.  And some people don't use that as an excuse to break the law. ;)

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

6 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

It's been awhile since I came across Xvid. Didn't think it was still used when h.264 support is very widespread (with CPUs as old as C2D being able to brute force decode the hi10p variety), and h.265 gaining steam.

thats what i was curious about, even single core cpu with resonable clock can software decode up to 1080p video.

until i find out in some part of the world, there are companies who can cramp dozens of episode of tv shows into a dvd-rom disc, not dvd-video (even dvd-r). often compressed to potato quality. vcd-level resolution, lowered framerate, mono audio with lowered bitrate and even sample rate. but apperently those who bought these discs dont mind about quality at all, all they want is quantity.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

19 minutes ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

in 2019 they can

Nieche video players, like in Caravans or Boats arent easily replacable or bothered with - its much easier to buy a DVD or use an older codec. 

If this is a thing I wonder if I can make RealAudio rips from 2019 music, just for shits n giggles.

-------

Current Rig

-------

16 hours ago, Mr. horse said:

Exactly what I mean.

Whoops, I mis-interpreted your post. I was thinking that the pirate *creators* did it for those that didn't have modern systems.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Divx you had to pay license as it was a proprietary license (may have changed) but xvid was as GPL but was the original name if i recall (don't quote me on that memory is fuzzy on that). The natural evolution of people doing xvid encoding was x264 at the time and i followed the bandwagon. People still doing AVI-DIVX went H.264 instead. same thing. Proprietary vs open source.