Did this guy make up 'death in the family' to sell his PC?

Fizbin

I saw this auction on ebay...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-Z97-A-LGA-1150-Motherboard-USED/183800307852?hash=item2acb5a208c:g:~0gAAOSwMupcz1jX

The seller says his brother died in 2012 and he is parting out his brothers old PC. Nothing wrong with mentioning that. But the problem is his brothers Asus Z97-A and i5-4690K (which he listed separately) are from 2014.

Wut? He was from the future! 

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

Maybe they upgraded it after he passed away. Just ignore the death part and compare the parts with other ebay prices

4 minutes ago, tp95112 said:

Maybe they upgraded it after he passed away.

The brother? That would be interesting. :) But if it was the seller who upgraded it then it's no longer his brothers hardware that he is selling. (Seller notes that he only used his brothers PC for "about a month".)

Bidders with 0, 1 and 2 feedback. Not looking good for this guy.

1 hour ago, quakeguy81 said:

Just browsing some of this eBay seller's other items he has an EVGA GTX 1070 Ti Box Only and it has 13 bids at $100.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-Geforce-GTX-1070-Ti-FTW-2-8GB-Graphics-Card-Box-Only/183800316991  

"I've seen people post boxes on here before. I have no idea who the heck buys boxes only, but I thought I'd post this box to see if someone out there actually wants to buy it."

10/10 description. Who the hell buys a box.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

But the item lists specifications etc, he isn’t selling a box. He is selling a GPU. Anyone reading the listing sees a GPU for sale.

A box does not have 8 pin power...

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

6 hours ago, NineEyeRon said:

But the item lists specifications etc, he isn’t selling a box. He is selling a GPU. Anyone reading the listing sees a GPU for sale.

Wasn't that a common scam in the past?

6 hours ago, NineEyeRon said:

That's just Ebay auto filling that info when you select the "product" that you're selling(they obviously don't have the specs on a box). It helps increase visibility to the auction.

The title and their description clearly mention that it is only the box.

ALWAYS read the description, never rely on the auto filled specs from ebay(you can edit them a bit if you want, but most sellers don't bother with that other than adding some extra info), if someone can't read/impulse bid, that's their problem. Seller made it clear that it was a box, so he's protected on that front. If a buyer wants to be refunded after receiving an empty box, they'll have to return the box with tracking to get their money back.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Actually a relatively frequent eBay thing.

A more frequent occurence is buyers saying they really want the item but can't afford it, with a BS story included.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Scammy sellers. I sold an item on eBay one time and the buyer keep telling me his son is sick and he must have that item for his son at a low-ball price of 50% off. 

Why so many scammers?

Sudo make me a sandwich