Can I swap a CPU without reinstalling the OS?

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question; I currently have an i-6500 (non-k) as my current CPU, Z170XP MB, and a Hyper 212 cooler. I got some unexpected bonus, and decided to nab an i7-7700k (new).

I know it should fit the same LGA-1151 socket, but regarding the swap, do I need to do anything else besides the following:

0. UPGRADE BIOS
1. Power off PC

2. Disconnect PSU

3. Disconnect CPU cooler fan, and remove CPU cooler

4. Clean off old thermal paste

5. Remove i5

6. Install i7

7. Apply a correct amount of new thermal paste

8. Reinstall CPU cooler and reconnect fan

9. Reconnect PSU 

10. Experience glory?

*Edit* Thank you everyone for the swift and informative replies

*Edit 2* Updated BIOS without breaking anything (thank you @Pharr Carnell)

Edited by kingfurykiller
Gratitude for replies, and status of project

Yes, there will be no problem installing a new cpu.

There will be problems if you change the motherboard.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Keep it plugged in, just switch off the PSU. Keeps it grounded. Then touch the case to discharge any static electricity.

Should be fine otherwise 

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Yes that is possible, you'd only have to reinstall the OS if you were changing the motherboard. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

1. Remove old processor
  2. Install new processor
  3. reset BIOS (important)
  4. boot into Winblows
  5. go fast

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

10 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:
  1. Remove old processor
  2. Install new processor
  4. boot into Winblows
  5. go fast

I agree.

Current PC (Second Build) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (OC @3.8GHz, sometimes pushed to 4GHz) RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-2666 (OC @2733Mhz, sometimes pushed to 2800 for testing purposes)   GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX570 8gb MOBO: ASRock B450m Pro4 SSD: Inland 120gb HDD: 1tb Seagate Barracuda PSU: Cooler Master Masterwatt 500w Lite Case: NZXT H500 OS: Arch Linux+ KDE Plasma [Desktop Environment] & Windows 10 Pro [Broken due to grub 50% of the time]

Accessories: Mouse: Alienware AW958 Elite Keyboard: Corsair K63 Wireless  Headphones: Samsung Level On Pro

Phone (waiting on arrival): Samsung Galaxy Note 9

15 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:
  1. Remove old processor
  2. Install new processor
  4. boot into Winblows
  5. go fast

Should I also take the opportunity to update the firmware on my motherboard while I'm at it?

1 minute ago, kingfurykiller said:

Should I also take the opportunity to update the firmware on my motherboard while I'm at it?

Probably.

Current PC (Second Build) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (OC @3.8GHz, sometimes pushed to 4GHz) RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-2666 (OC @2733Mhz, sometimes pushed to 2800 for testing purposes)   GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX570 8gb MOBO: ASRock B450m Pro4 SSD: Inland 120gb HDD: 1tb Seagate Barracuda PSU: Cooler Master Masterwatt 500w Lite Case: NZXT H500 OS: Arch Linux+ KDE Plasma [Desktop Environment] & Windows 10 Pro [Broken due to grub 50% of the time]

Accessories: Mouse: Alienware AW958 Elite Keyboard: Corsair K63 Wireless  Headphones: Samsung Level On Pro

Phone (waiting on arrival): Samsung Galaxy Note 9

DO NOT JUST REMOVE OLD CPU AND INSTALL NEW ONE...VERY POOR ADVICE!!

You're likely to find that a Z170 series motherboard needs the BIOS updated to recognise a Kaby Lake CPU.

True...it is highly unlikely you'd need to reactivate Windows with just a CPU change...BUT...absolutely make sure you upgrade your BIOS before you replace the CPU...it is possible depending upon the motherboard, that if you install an i7 7700K Kaby Lake CPU that the Z170 motherboard will not boot...BECAUSE IT NEEDS THE BIOS UPGRADED TO RECOGNISE THE KABY LAKE CPU...spoken from personal experience...

5 minutes ago, Pharr Carnell said:

You're likely to find that a Z170 series motherboard needs the BIOS updated to recognise a Kaby Lake CPU.

True...it is highly unlikely you'd need to reactivate Windows with just a CPU change...BUT...absolutely make sure you upgrade your BIOS before you replace the CPU...it is possible depending upon the motherboard, that if you install an i7 7700K Kaby Lake CPU that the Z170 motherboard will not boot...BECAUSE IT NEEDS THE BIOS UPGRADED TO RECOGNISE THE KABY LAKE CPU...spoken from personal experience...

Ah ok! So I need to do BIOS upgrade first. I can do that tonight; CPU comes in tomorrow. I'll go look up the instructions on how to upgrade the BIOS; i got the motherboard in early 2016 and I don't think I upgraded the BIOS since.

Easy enough to do the upgrade...but it is almost certainly required. I've read somewhere that some Asus motherboards can have to BIOS update done without a CPU even installed...but it is far easier to check the manufacturer's website forst and read requirements for BIOS updates realtive to changing CPU series...good luck with the new unit...

46 minutes ago, kingfurykiller said:

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question; I currently have an i-6500 (non-k) as my current CPU, Z170XP MB, and a Hyper 212 cooler. I got some unexpected bonus, and decided to nab an i7-7700k (new).

While it is possible, the i7-7700K is just way too expensive for what you get.

Especially since in ~4Weeks something on the other side is released that could be awesome.

46 minutes ago, kingfurykiller said:

I know it should fit the same LGA-1151 socket, but regarding the swap, do I need to do anything else besides the following:

You wouldn't even need to do that if you swap the Motherboard.

However Windows needs to be activated again.

If you have installed it from a Windows 7 Key, you need to do a reinstallation - on whatever drive you can use for that.

Or live with the "Windows must be activated" thing...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

50 minutes ago, kingfurykiller said:

Aye. You'll have to do that.

45 minutes ago, Pharr Carnell said:

Come on now. We have to let OP figure out something on their own. Always nice to have experts like you though.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

While it is possible, the i7-7700K is just way too expensive for what you get.

Especially since in ~4Weeks something on the other side is released that could be awesome.

You wouldn't even need to do that if you swap the Motherboard.

I've already done my research and placed my order; I feel good about the price that I paid and the performance I'll be getting. Also, newer CPUs would require a motherboard swap, correct? i'm not quite ready for that.

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

However Windows needs to be activated again.

If you have installed it from a Windows 7 Key, you need to do a reinstallation - on whatever drive you can use for that.

If I swap CPU, Windows 10 needs to be re-activated? I will have to go digging for the key (or check the registry) for the code. I originally did a fresh install of windows 10 pro on this machine.

1 hour ago, Pharr Carnell said:

Easy enough to do the upgrade...but it is almost certainly required. I've read somewhere that some Asus motherboards can have to BIOS update done without a CPU even installed...but it is far easier to check the manufacturer's website forst and read requirements for BIOS updates realtive to changing CPU series...good luck with the new unit...

Sounds good. I've got a Gigabyte MB; I'll check their website instructions when I get home from work.

37 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Come on now. We have to let OP figure out something on their own. Always nice to have experts like you though.

I'm glad i'm getting to figure this out on the forum; not in practice :) made enough mistakes already (see the first CPU)

49 minutes ago, kingfurykiller said:

I've already done my research and placed my order;

Condolences.

Maybe should have waited another Month or so...

I feel good about the price that I paid and the performance I'll be getting.

You still have a similar CPU, just with SMT, wich is an advantage but not that great.

With a new MoBo you could have gotten more cores for the same price, sometimes even with the Board...

Also, newer CPUs would require a motherboard swap, correct? i'm not quite ready for that.

Yeah, would require a MoBo Swap.

But its not as bad as you think it is, if you have a big enough case. (=most µATX and ATX Cases)

The worst part is connecting the 4 Front Panel Connectors (Reset, Power, LEDs) to the Board.

Removing the 6-9 Screws for a normal ATX, just take out the Board, check if the holes on the Motherboard match the Studs in the Case, remove the I/O Shield, put the new one in, gently push the MoBo in the I/O Shield, check if something of the fingers of the I/O Shield are inside the connectors, if not screw the screws.

If you have a bit of time, here a Video about how to build a PC:

If I swap CPU, Windows 10 needs to be re-activated?

Nope, when Replacing the Motherboard.

That's what I was talking about in that Part...

As said, its not that big of a deal, if you done it a couple of times.

I think I'd do it in somewhere between 5-10min.

Reading Manuals is a good idea for those things.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

4 hours ago, kingfurykiller said:

I've already done my research and placed my order; I feel good about the price that I paid and the performance I'll be getting. Also, newer CPUs would require a motherboard swap, correct? i'm not quite ready for that.

If I swap CPU, Windows 10 needs to be re-activated? I will have to go digging for the key (or check the registry) for the code. I originally did a fresh install of windows 10 pro on this machine.

Sounds good. I've got a Gigabyte MB; I'll check their website instructions when I get home from work.

I'm glad i'm getting to figure this out on the forum; not in practice :) made enough mistakes already (see the first CPU)

How much did you pay for the 7700k?

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

2 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Condolences.

Maybe should have waited another Month or so...

You still have a similar CPU, just with SMT, wich is an advantage but not that great.

With a new MoBo you could have gotten more cores for the same price, sometimes even with the Board...

Yeah, would require a MoBo Swap.

I really had no interest in the additional work involved in getting a new motherboard and new CPU. 

The benchmarks on an i5-6500 vs an i7-7700k are fairly far apart. Also, I asked this same forum months ago which one i should upgrade to, and 7700k came out to be the winner. But who knows, we will find out tomorrow how wrong i am :)

But its not as bad as you think it is, if you have a big enough case. (=most µATX and ATX Cases)

The worst part is connecting the 4 Front Panel Connectors (Reset, Power, LEDs) to the Board.

I do have a big enough case; still didn't feel like doing it. I did build it the PC, but thanks for the video. Will help me not screw up the SSD cables like I did the first time.

Nope, when Replacing the Motherboard.

That's what I was talking about in that Part...

Not reinstalling windows today. I've adjusted too much and don't feel like starting fresh

Reading Manuals is a good idea for those things.

This is what i'm doing for the BIOS upgrade

32 minutes ago, Plutosaurus said:

How much did you pay for the 7700k?

$25 of my own money. Rest was a work bonus

3 hours ago, kingfurykiller said:

$25 of my own money. Rest was a work bonus

Well still should last you quite a while. In most games it's still faster than all the Ryzen chips and not much farther behind the newer Intel ones.

Try to sell the 6500. Might be able to get a few dollars for it.

I upgraded from an i3-6100 to an i7-6700K in my laptop a few years ago.  Works fine without having reinstalled the OS, although Intel XTU for some reason caps the non-turbo boost at 35x.  (I can OC though by adjusting the boost per-core multipliers, mine maxes out comfortably at about 46x single-core and 48x multi-core.)

On 4/29/2019 at 11:29 PM, Plutosaurus said:

Well still should last you quite a while. In most games it's still faster than all the Ryzen chips and not much farther behind the newer Intel ones.

Try to sell the 6500. Might be able to get a few dollars for it.

I'm hoping it will last me awhile as well, especially since most of what I play is either stuff that's CPU-bound (RTS games) or some heavy modding on older titles.

Also, yes, I'm going to sell the 6500. Still works just fine.

14 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

I upgraded from an i3-6100 to an i7-6700K in my laptop a few years ago.  Works fine without having reinstalled the OS, although Intel XTU for some reason caps the non-turbo boost at 35x.  (I can OC though by adjusting the boost per-core multipliers, mine maxes out comfortably at about 46x single-core and 48x multi-core.)

I'm just impressed that you upgraded your laptop