New PC build for a newb

So uh, I’m kinda new to the whole PC thing and I’ve been learning all I can about PCs and gaming on them.

I want to do a smaller PC build cause I don’t have any space.

I have a few things I already know generally what I want for it like the graphics card, ram, processor, types of storage and how much, and the type of IO and OS I want. I’d say that I know exactly what I need but I don’t anymore since switching to a mini build.

But what I really don’t understand still are cases motherboards and power supply. I’m utterly stumped when it comes to these two things.

If anyone can shed some light on this for me I’d highly appreciate the help and advice.

By the way, hello other forum people.

Are you looking for the smallest possible build, spare no expense, or the smallest build you can manage on a tight budget?

Essentially mATX can be done for similar if not the same price as full size ATX, or near enough it makes no difference.

mITX carries a notable price premium.

@LukeSavenije come see our new friend

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

13 minutes ago, RobFRaschke said:

Are you looking for the smallest possible build, spare no expense, or the smallest build you can manage on a tight budget?

Essentially mATX can be done for similar if not the same price as full size ATX, or near enough it makes no difference.

mITX carries a notable price premium.

I find that mATX cost less than full sized. Itx is expensive because it isn't super common. 

Case: stops dust and falling objects from slamming onto your hardware, while giving enough air to cool the components inside. Directly affects how big the system will be, but still needs to be big enough to fit everything

Motherboard: the hub for everything to communicate with one another. It's mITX all the way if you still want some level of user customization

PSU: Small cases usually require SFX and SFX-L units. Electrically same as typical ATX, but much smaller.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

I find that mATX cost less than full sized. Itx is expensive because it isn't super common. 

In motherboards, that's regularly quite true because there are most often just less materials involved. In apples to apples cases, that can be the case, however it's generally quite difficult to make a good apples to apples comparison between an ATX and mATX case unless it's been intentionally manufactured thus.

Very good mARX cases, especially where designed to be compact, can easily get more expensive for remotely similar features.

52 minutes ago, BakaTechDude_01 said:

But what I really don’t understand still are cases motherboards and power supply. I’m utterly stumped when it comes to these two things.

Cases are cases. You put the motherboard, 3.5" drive, 2.5" drive, power supply, and whatever else you can cram into there.

Motherboards are things where almost everything else plugs into. 

Power supplies supply power. That's in the name.

These things, however, are quite hard to judge from consumer reviews, and I wouldn't trust most Youtubers either on the matter (including Linus, JayzTwoCents, Bitwit, etc)

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

4 hours ago, BakaTechDude_01 said:

So uh, I’m kinda new to the whole PC thing and I’ve been learning all I can about PCs and gaming on them.

I want to do a smaller PC build cause I don’t have any space.

I have a few things I already know generally what I want for it like the graphics card, ram, processor, types of storage and how much, and the type of IO and OS I want. I’d say that I know exactly what I need but I don’t anymore since switching to a mini build.

If anyone can shed some light on this for me I’d highly appreciate the help and advice.

By the way, hello other forum people.

Okay, first, you need to decide how small is small when you say "smaller PC".

Shoebox sized? Maybe slightly larger?

If you're going for something as small as possible, then you're in ITX territory. What kind of cases do you like? Google some ITX case pics, and post them here so we at least have a baseline to recommend from.

As for motherboards, ITX boards are aplenty, but are usually spendy for what you get.

Also, you said you have a general idea of what you want for graphics cards. What kind of card?

11 hours ago, BakaTechDude_01 said:

There's ATX, and the short version micro ATX, which are both super common. Micro ATX is just a short version if ATX, just as wide. Then below that, you get ITX, which as you'll see by my signature, I've got some fandom for.

While Micro ATX boards are usually cheaper than ATX because it's just about the same thing with the bottom chopped off (and otherwise usually cheapened in some other way), mini ITX boards are slightly more expensive, because they're specialty items. Usually very precision engineered, they have a lot of features packed into a miniscule 6.7" x 6.7" square. They're so tiny, they fit into all sorts of neat tiny cases. They're still compatible with standard ATX power supplies, and the case you see in my signature, the Sugo SG13B, is also compatible with full ATX power supplies (up to a certain size)

There are tiny power supplies called SFX power supplies, which are far smaller than ATX power supplies. There are ITX cases made specifically to accommodate these small power supplies, and using them in small cases that can accommodate an ATX power supply can be quite helpful for cable managing.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I just checked back after a few days and I did not expect nothin, especially cause I had an email alert set.

Thank you all for the help.

I’ll post some of the things I’ve found. For now I guess:

I’m on a $1000 build, if I have to spend a little more, like a hounded or so that’s okay.

I want a matx motherboard

a gtx 1070ti

I want 16gb ddr 4 ram

both an ssd and hard dive

I think this “Cooler Master MCW-L3B3-KANN-01 MasterBox Lite 3.1” is a good case but I don’t know.

That’s all I know so far.

Thank you again guys for the help and I will change my profile picture....I’m just lazy.

14 minutes ago, BakaTechDude_01 said:

I just checked back after a few days and I did not expect nothin, especially cause I had an email alert set.

Thank you all for the help.

I’ll post some of the things I’ve found. For now I guess:

I want a matx motherboard

a gtx 1070ti

I want 16gb ddr 4 ram

both an ssd and hard dive

I think this “Cooler Master MCW-L3B3-KANN-01 MasterBox Lite 3.1” is a good case but I don’t know.

That’s all I know so far.

Thank you again guys for the help and I will change my profile picture....I’m just lazy.

mATX board, 16GB dual channel RAM, SSD+HDD & CM MB Lite 3.1, all check

GTX 1070Ti cheapest I can find is $399, at that price you could get a Vega64 that offers better performance. If budget is tight, take the RTX2060 as it performs about the same as the GTX1070 Ti anyway. Or a Vega56

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($164.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($75.61 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($77.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Crucial - BX500 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($59.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX VEGA 64 8 GB Video Card  ($399.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Lite 3.1 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($43.60 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($61.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $938.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-28 22:14 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

double posted

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

The Seagate BarraCuda has different versions, you can check the specific details of each one in the following link:

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

Okay so, I think I have everything I need now, I’m posting the full list, please let me know your thoughts, I highly appreciate all of your opinions.

In no particular order:

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660ti

Corsair Vengence LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2400

EVGA 500Bq 80+ bronze, semi modular

Gigabyte B450 DS3H (AMD) matx motherboard

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Processor

2xNoctua NF-A12x25 120mm

Noctua NH-U12S CPU cooler 120mm

Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 3.2

WD blue 1TB PC SSD 2.5”

Western Digital blue 4TB PC Hard Drive 3.5” (Might have to get a smaller one, I have to double check)

It comes is a bit over $1000 and that’s okay with me.