Microsoft offers overseas data storage in response to NSA concerns

HDZx

Microsoft offers overseas data storage in response to NSA concerns

The Verge

Today, Microsoft announced an unpredecented response to concerns of NSA data access, offering customers in foreign countries the option of having their data stored outside US borders. According to Financial Times report, the company decided to launch the program after discovering the NSA was using their networks to surveil citizens of Brazil and the European Union. So far, Microsoft is the only major company offering explicitly non-US data storage, despite evidence that the agency has broken into the private networks of both Google and Yahoo.

While there's no guarantee the NSA won't be able to reach servers outside US borders, the move would offer an additional layer of protection, as local law enforcement is likely to respond more aggressively to agents of a foreign country. It also continues recent moves to shift web traffic away from the US in response to the NSA scandal, in Brazil and elsewhere. If privacy-conscious users want to shift away from the American parts of web, this latest offer ensures they'll be able to do so without shifting away from American companies like Microsoft.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.0GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 RAM: 12GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 Storage: Samsung 120GB 840 SSD Cooling: Corsair H100 with Noctuas Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2

SpeedTest: http://www.speedtest.net/result/3243874809.png

Why on EARTH would someone use that?! That's just allowing the NSA to access data overseas by some technicality of Microsoft being an American based company.

Just like saying Macs can't get viruses. It can still get them.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

They can still get it...

Yeah, but then it is at least illegal in that country.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Wow incredibly huge Microsoft bias in these comments here. Not a single comment praising Microsoft for their efforts to protect customer data. If this was another company doing the exact same thing, people would be all over it saying good job. So disappointed in the forum right now.

Personally, I congratulate them for doing SOMETHING. What is Google or Apple doing against the NSA?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Wow incredibly huge Microsoft bias in these comments here. Not a single comment praising Microsoft for their efforts to protect customer data. If this was another company doing the exact same thing, people would be all over it saying good job. So disappointed in the forum right now.

Personally, I congratulate them for doing SOMETHING. What is Google or Apple doing against the NSA?

QFT also people dont realize international companies like microsoft are subject to local regulation because they are its own company within those country on the legal aspect meaning if the NSA wants something from a ms server in japan they cant because its obviously outside their jurisdiction yeah sure the nsa will try an hack its way to the server but at least they cut the legal bs of it which is indeed something  

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

If Microsoft is scared, boy you know shit ain't right...

Well it does possibly make it easier for everyone to access...

Touche

sysloc

If Microsoft is scared, boy you know shit ain't right...

Well it does possibly make it easier for everyone to access...

Touche

I don't think they are scared, I think they are just trying to bring more customers that may be holding back because of privacy concerns.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.0GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 RAM: 12GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 Storage: Samsung 120GB 840 SSD Cooling: Corsair H100 with Noctuas Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2

SpeedTest: http://www.speedtest.net/result/3243874809.png

Still runs on the same infrastructure to get back to the user... So yeah... I guess this is to make people who don't know anything feel safer.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|