FloatPlane Related

Nano Adam

If I want to create a video platform similar to FloatPlane or YouTube but mostly like FloatPlane, what will I need to know if I want to do it from scratch. 

What languages would I need to know? 

Thanks

I don't think you understand how complex it is to set up a video streaming platform.

Do you have a degree in computer programming or computer engineering?

You could start with that, then maybe work on a masters/phd.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I understand CDN's and setting up of Remote Servers and know most of Linux. I just created a mini platform where I used a remote server to run it. But the downside was that it didn't operate.

I do not have a degree of any sort and my knowledge comes from my Computer Science course and Udemy and YouTube. 

Thanks !

These services have a long list of components, for example:

• The websites front end (UI)
  • Media delivery stack (CDN etc.)
  • Media ingestion and transcoding
  • user management (both viewers and creators/admins)
  • payment processes
  • suggestion algorithms

and I'm sure much much more.

Some of these need very different skill sets. For web front end you might want to look at HTML, CSS & JS where as for media transcoding you might be looking at C++/Rust libraries.

Are there one or two of these components that you are most interested in starting with? If you can narrow down what you are looking to learn first, we can hopefully be of more help.

You could start simple and learn HTML, JS and CSS, HTML has a decent-ish media player that you could use to play video files. For user management, I'd recommend setting up a database (probably MySQL, since it's free) and learning SQL and PHP to interact with it.

It really depends on how far you want to go with things

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

On 4/21/2019 at 10:08 PM, Enderman said:

I don't think you understand how complex it is to set up a video streaming platform.

Do you have a degree in computer programming or computer engineering?

You could start with that, then maybe work on a masters/phd.

Really don’t need a masters or PhD ?

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

10 minutes ago, Blade of Grass said:

Really don’t need a masters or PhD ?

If he wants to do it on his own without hiring a team of people that have decades of experience, he should definitely get at least a masters.

I've seen what compsci students graduate university with, and it's not nearly enough to build a streaming platform from scratch.

Hell, even the team at floatplane is not doing it from scratch, simply because of how ridiculously complicated it can get.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, i use floatplane for about 1 month, it is very educational and i like your videos. Keep on doing your great work. I have some issues. The biggest for me is that when i start viewing the video on wifi it works fine, but if in the middle of the video change to mobile data, the video stops. Then i have to refresh the page and the video starts from start. the scrooling on the phone is quite bad ,specialy if you have big fingers-(I miss double tap for forrward and rewind). Keep doing videos like this. 

Good day