is windows 8.1 faster than windows 10?

just that pc guy
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,
16 minutes ago, just that pc guy said:

its a 32 bit laptop, asus transformer t100. has a quad core intel atom with 1.6ghz, but thats a lie for some reason it punps out 2.4ghz, it has a saughtered on ssd thats 60gb, and 2gb ram

eMMC storage, not SSD.

Windows 10 will not run better than Windows 8 on it. But should run similarly.

Just remember that Windows 10 does a lot of stuff one you get to the dektop for the first time. Too much for an Atom based system and eMMC.

I would recommend to not use the system and just wait 10min, just make sure the system doesn't go to sleep. You'll know things are ready when disk activity goes down, CPU is down, and you have no arrows showing on the live tiles in the start menu.

Once you reach that stage, now you start checking for updates, and after updates from the built-in apps via the Store. Check Device Manager to make sure everything is detect, else install missing drivers (Win8 drivers should work). Once done, you can head over the Settings panel (Start > Settings (gear icon)) and start enabling/disabling things.

Once everything is done, do Start > type: Maintenance > select: Security & Maintenance, expend Maintenance section, and click on the blue link to start it. Let the computer do its things, I recommend to disable sleep. It will take a long time. Once done, you are ready to enjoy your system.

iv been thinking of upgrading my very very smol 32 bit windows 8.1 laptop to windows 10 and then i thought, wait with all the new stuff that windows 10 has like cortana. the advanced start menu while seeing the desktop at the same time, all these other background tasks. is windows 10 really faster than 8.1? this topic isnt by look preference i just want to know by speed and performance if its really faster

No 

Also Windows 8 hasn't received a security patch in like 3 years so

My life

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

No 

Also Windows 8 hasn't received a security patch in like 3 years so

nono they do recieve security updates its just the feature updates they dont support

i would think that 10 would be better optimized since microsoft focuses on it the most, but I'm not entirely sure

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Just now, just that pc guy said:

nono they do recieve security updates its just the feature updates they dont support

Ah my bad,yeah your right

However if you want a lightweight OS your almost infinitely better going on some kind of Linux

My life

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

Ah my bad,yeah your right

However if you want a lightweight OS your almost infinitely better going on some kind of Linux

i mean i could always get windows server. but all that does is remove cortana

8 minutes ago, just that pc guy said:

wait with all the new stuff that windows 10 has like cortana. the advanced start menu while seeing the desktop at the same time, all these other background tasks.

There are scripts you can run that will disable everything heavy and all the stuff you don't need.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

The answer is it depends.

On older hardware, Windows 8.1 is infact less heavy. If you can find it anywhere, Windows 8 is even lighter. 

Still bloated when compared to Windows 7, but the 7/8 transition brought around a new language for drivers that are not compatible. Don't expect to run any hardware newer than 8.1 on Windows 7.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

1 minute ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

The answer is it depends.

On older hardware, Windows 8.1 is infact less heavy. If you can find it anywhere, Windows 8 is even lighter. 

Still bloated when compared to Windows 7, but the 7/8 transition brought around a new language for drivers that are not compatible. Don't expect to run any hardware newer than 8.1 on Windows 7.

see thats what i thought, i had a dell optiplex 780 with windows 7, with 8gb ram before had alot avalible after had only half, could that apply with 8 to 10

Just now, just that pc guy said:

see thats what i thought, i had a dell optiplex 780 with windows 7, with 8gb ram before had alot avalible after had only half, could that apply with 8 to 10

Yep. Windows 10 is bloated as hell without running scripts to remove it all.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

1 minute ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Yep. Windows 10 is bloated as hell without running scripts to remove it all.

so should i just stick with windows 8.1 than?

13 minutes ago, just that pc guy said:

iv been thinking of upgrading my very very smol 32 bit windows 8.1 laptop to windows 10 and then i thought, wait with all the new stuff that windows 10 has like cortana. the advanced start menu while seeing the desktop at the same time, all these other background tasks. is windows 10 really faster than 8.1? this topic isnt by look preference i just want to know by speed and performance if its really faster

People got Windows 10 running on Rasberry Pi 3's, and 2-3 old  smartphones. 

What is the system specs?

Just now, GoodBytes said:

its a 32 bit laptop, asus transformer t100. has a quad core intel atom with 1.6ghz, but thats a lie for some reason it punps out 2.4ghz, it has a saughtered on ssd thats 60gb, and 2gb ram

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

image.png.11f8333392edcd9238ccf5940b71e663.pngsorry 2.24 but still they lie for some reason when they say 1.46

I have windows 10 on my old pentium dual core 4GB DDR3 based Lenovo G580 Laptop since its debue and it still works fine i have even played upto assassins creed 3 on it on lower settings. Still works great.

So, in my experience it does works fine.

2 minutes ago, Screen said:

I have windows 10 on my old pentidum dual core 4GB DDR3 based Lenovo G580 Laptop since its debue and it still works fine i have even played upto assassins creed 3 on it on lower settings. Still works great.

So, in my experience it does works fine. 

yeah same i got a optiplex 780 with pentium dual core and it runs fine with 10, just dont run it intigrated or else that cpu will max out so easilly.

16 minutes ago, just that pc guy said:

eMMC storage, not SSD.

Just remember that Windows 10 does a lot of stuff one you get to the dektop for the first time. Too much for an Atom based system and eMMC.

I would recommend to not use the system and just wait 10min, just make sure the system doesn't go to sleep. You'll know things are ready when disk activity goes down, CPU is down, and you have no arrows showing on the live tiles in the start menu.

Once you reach that stage, now you start checking for updates, and after updates from the built-in apps via the Store. Check Device Manager to make sure everything is detect, else install missing drivers (Win8 drivers should work). Once done, you can head over the Settings panel (Start > Settings (gear icon)) and start enabling/disabling things.

Once everything is done, do Start > type: Maintenance > select: Security & Maintenance, expend Maintenance section, and click on the blue link to start it. Let the computer do its things, I recommend to disable sleep. It will take a long time. Once done, you are ready to enjoy your system.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

eMMC storage, not SSD.

I would recommend to not use the system and just wait 10min, just make sure the system doesn't go to sleep.

You'll know things are ready when disk activity goes down, CPU is down, and you have no arrows showing on the live tiles in the start menu.

Once you reach that stage, now you start checking for updates, and after updates from the built-in apps via the Store.

Then, you can head over the Settings panel (Start > Settings (gear icon)) and strat enabling/disabling things.

thanks for the help m8 i think il stick with 8 for now, il wait untill it gets close to the support end and if my ssd doesnt die by then il get windows 10

Windows 10 is faster but DO NOT upgrade.

Do a clean install properly, otherwise it will most definitely be slower and probably have issues in the future.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Doesn't using the windows 10 upgrade adviser build a version of windows for the platform itself? I had upgraded a Dell tablet from 8.1 to 10 and it ran just fine. Heck, I have some older core duo desktops that are running windows 10 just fine for normal office and web browsing. Oh and the olny thing I could think that would cause an issue would be driver comparability.