HDD vs SSHD vs SSD

kodiak211

Looking to upgrade my hard drives in my QNap TS-451+. I mostly use this thing as a Plex server. The drives I have in it now, have been a few HDD WD green drives. Had them for about 6 or more years, without a problem, with two of them failing on me in the past few months, with only two left, with one in bad health. It's time to upgrade.

Been looking at the Seagate drives, the Barracuda, Firecuda, and the Iron wolf. I've also been looking at the WD Blue, and samsung Evo 860 SSD's. I've been thinking of upgrading the hard drive in my laptop as well. I'm going with a SSD in my laptop. But thought, with an adaptor, could I put a few SSD's in my QNap as well. I'm looking for longevity, and tho, I could get greater capacity from a HDD, I'm also looking for high capacity. I'm also looking for some speed. Not sure if a SSD would help with plex transcoding. 

If an SSD could help with plex transcoding, I might pay the price. Or go with a traditional HDD for capacity, or go with the best of two worlds, and get a SSHD.

Any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.

ID just get a hdd here, something like a ironwolf or a wd red would be the best bet. 

THe ssd won't help with speed much, as your limited by the network anyways.

THe ssd won't help with transcodiong, as thats cpu limited.

I wouldn't bother with a sshd, if you want more speed later on, use the caching the qnap box, but its probably not needed.

For drives, also look at those 8tb externals for like 130

4 minutes ago, kodiak211 said:

Looking to upgrade my hard drives in my QNap TS-451+. I mostly use this thing as a Plex server. The drives I have in it now, have been a few HDD WD green drives. Had them for about 6 or more years, without a problem, with two of them failing on me in the past few months, with only two left, with one in bad health. It's time to upgrade.

Been looking at the Seagate drives, the Barracuda, Firecuda, and the Iron wolf. I've also been looking at the WD Blue, and samsung Evo 860 SSD's. I've been thinking of upgrading the hard drive in my laptop as well. I'm going with a SSD in my laptop. But thought, with an adaptor, could I put a few SSD's in my QNap as well. I'm looking for longevity, and tho, I could get greater capacity from a HDD, I'm also looking for high capacity. I'm also looking for some speed. Not sure if a SSD would help with plex transcoding. 

If an SSD could help with plex transcoding, I might pay the price. Or go with a traditional HDD for capacity, or go with the best of two worlds, and get a SSHD.

Any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.

I been using plex for years and recently made the jump to 4k content encoded to H.265 with (Nvidia NVEnc). Most of my 4k content comes from Bluray Rips and has sizes from 12-25GB for 1 movie. Everything transcodes to every player I have. I don't run any raid or anything just single disks with no issues with multiple streams. I am using 8TB 5400RPM WD Purple Drives.

Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | 
XSPC EX 360mm | Corsair XC7 RGB CPU WB | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless 18,000DPI | Acer 32" 4K 60Hz HDR600 Cert. ET322QK CBMIIPZX |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

PC Parts Picker Link to Build

Network

Netgear LBR20 LTE Router | Verizon Unlimited Prepaid Hotspot Plan

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

Rasberry Pi 4 Running Pihole

Linksys Velop 3 Mesh Wifi AP's

SSHD is a 8gb ssd with a 1TB HDD absolute scam.

Ironwolf and WD red are the best for NAS.

for your laptop, I'd get the cheapest 2.5" SSD, ADATA makes some cheap ones, and so does inland (microcenter house brand), or a crucial MX500. The WD blue isn't a bad choice either. the 860 evo is wayy overpriced for what it gives.

6 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

the 860 evo is wayy overpriced for what it gives.

And yet, Samsung SSDs are the most popular (Samsungs, Pro and EVO, are the only SSDs I'll buy). If a Sammy is out of one's budget, Crucial MX500s have a good reputation. Keep in mind you generally get only what you pay for. You want quality? Pony up!

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

On 4/14/2019 at 9:13 PM, Lady Fitzgerald said:

And yet, Samsung SSDs are the most popular (Samsungs, Pro and EVO, are the only SSDs I'll buy). If a Sammy is out of one's budget, Crucial MX500s have a good reputation. Keep in mind you generally get only what you pay for. You want quality? Pony up!

Spoken like a true fanboy.

Ive bought tons of cheap ssds, and samsungs. Never have had one break, except for my ye old 20GB kingston.

9 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

Spoken like a true fanboy.

Ive bought tons of cheap ssds, and samsungs. Never have had one break, except for my ye old 20GB kingston.

First, I'm a woman, not a boy (my username and signature should have been your clues). And just because you've been lucky with cheap SSDs doesn't mean everyone will be. What I wrote had nothing to do with me being a fan of Samsung or Crucial. Heck,Ii've never even used anything from Crucial. I recommend the Samsungs since they are the most popular brand of SSDs and the Pros and EVOs (not the QVOs, though) have had the best SSD reputation since the 840 EVO fiasco and the Crucials have had the next best reputation as a budget substitute.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

On 4/15/2019 at 7:11 AM, Lady Fitzgerald said:

First, I'm a woman, not a boy (my username and signature should have been your clues). And just because you've been lucky with cheap SSDs doesn't mean everyone will be. What I wrote had nothing to do with me being a fan of Samsung or Crucial. Heck,Ii've never even used anything from Crucial. I recommend the Samsungs since they are the most popular brand of SSDs and the Pros and EVOs (not the QVOs, though) have had the best SSD reputation since the 840 EVO fiasco and the Crucials have had the next best reputation as a budget substitute.

Oh no! Sorry for being sexist.

Please find me an example, where somebody has had a broken SSD (within 3 years), There will be very few, if any.

On 4/14/2019 at 2:07 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

ID just get a hdd here, something like a ironwolf or a wd red would be the best bet. 

THe ssd won't help with speed much, as your limited by the network anyways.

THe ssd won't help with transcodiong, as thats cpu limited.

I wouldn't bother with a sshd, if you want more speed later on, use the caching the qnap box, but its probably not needed.

For drives, also look at those 8tb externals for like 130

Greatly appreciate your help. It didn't occur to me, until you said something. I knew transcoding was CPU based. lol

I believe you're right, WD Red, or IronWolf is the way to go. Thanks

On 4/14/2019 at 2:37 PM, Firewrath9 said:

SSHD is a 8gb ssd with a 1TB HDD absolute scam.

Ironwolf and WD red are the best for NAS.

for your laptop, I'd get the cheapest 2.5" SSD, ADATA makes some cheap ones, and so does inland (microcenter house brand), or a crucial MX500. The WD blue isn't a bad choice either. the 860 evo is wayy overpriced for what it gives.

Thanks for your help. I'm probably going to go with something I'm familiar with, just for piece of mind. 

On 4/14/2019 at 11:01 AM, kodiak211 said:

Transcoding tends to be bottlenecked by the CPU, so storage performance won't really help. SSHDs are also only helpful if you access things frequently. If you have the OS on it, it'll likely be cached so there's that, but it won't really help with the other files.

So I'd argue for a traditional HDD.

7 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

Oh no! Sorry for being sexist.

Please find me an example, where somebody has had a broken SSD (within 3 years), There will be very few, if any.

Having worked at a tech retailer as a repair tech and my own personal experience, I tend to stick with Samsung for reliability as well as performance.  Even my Samsung 850 M.2 SATA is WAY better than my Kingston M.2 SATA (forget which model).

I'm still running almost 4-5 years on my OCZ SSDs, so it's completely possible to have good drives that aren't Samsung. AData is rubbish (IMO), and don't like the entry level Kingston either. Why? Because I'd always seen my clients coming back with dead or defective SSD's MORE often than any of them other budget drives. If I'm going to recommend a budget SSD, I generally recommend PNY because I haven't experienced many drives failing in either my professional career or personal. AData is much more memorable as a failure, so I don't recommend them. And Kingston might be ok, but in my region, PNY is generally better price comparison for storage size.

The failures of ADATA and other brands could've been bad lots, or could've been something else. But for reliability (even on budget offerings) there are other options. I'm not a "fan boy" but I stick with Samsung because of their reliability and performance for certain cases. But I still have PNY and my OCZ drives as well. Crucial is good from what I hear, but never had one because I was able to find better deals with sales with different companies at the time.