Anyone worried about window's future?

ccaian

I had major issues with Windows 7, and I'm not buying 8. I went back to windows XP 2 days ago :)

What I had:

I often leave my Pc on 24/7, so windows 7 used up 2.5 GB of my RAM. My multi-display = lots of tabs open on my web browser, so I went over 5 GB's daily, 2GB for onboard graphics, so I was left with around 1GB of RAM. I open up an Adobe program or a game and the 8GB of RAM would be gone and would be stuck on a pagefile on an SSD (Very bad idea).

Drivers! I have an APU and a 6670 plugged in. I had to uninstall/reinstall my card everytime I booted 7 to enable my multidisplay.

Network: Sometimes, DHCP would stick to IP address, even if you "Unexpecetly" pulled the ethernet and plugged it into a new network IP config.

Security = games crashings.

Overall, I'm back on XP 64-Bit with, Yes, a quad core CPU and an SSD :D

For the records, bootup and shutdowns are <10 seconds.

Current Build

I really like windows 8, better then windows7 but i had some problems with it (my bf3 would crash) and i coulden't fix it so switched back to windows 7. also windows 8 is great if you a ssd or just take some time to learn the shotcuts in windows, exsample the hot corners was great, really liked them and miss them :(

Start8 is also a great application if you have windows 8.

All the hate about windows is funney because when a company dosen't change anything about there software (apple) people complain and when microsoft deside to make it easy'er for people making apps to they phones and windows platform,making windows faster, make a build in mail service and make a great designed operating system the camplain too.

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Nothing is wrong with Start Screen either. If you know how to use it, you'll prefer it over the Start Menu. The challenge that Microsoft faces is that the Start Menu has been worked on for many many many years, every version of Windows it got itself perfected. The new Start Screen is new, and doesn't have the luxury to pass through a perfection cycle. So is it perfect? No. A lot can be improved. But does it make me hate it, or find it unusable. Absolutely no.

What I like about the start screen is that you can pin and move anything you want practically. you can have the folders you want, you can have your games, you have your gadgets (live tiles Metro apps) and more clearing up your desktop and look better and out of the way, you can make your groups and such.

This is what I have:

dss.png

Also, I like it on my laptop. Touchpad, even the said to be the best, MacBook Pro touchpad, has a flaw: 0 precision. It's great to move across the screen easily, but anything small, is tricky. The large tiles makes it joy to use. By the way this is something I also like about Windows 7 with it's task bar.

On another thread here, I did mention how the lack of the Start button makes perfect sense, and I showed how difficult and problematic it becomes if you have one with the new Windows 8 layout. Sadly I can't find it yet. So if you are intrested, I'll type it again.

People say that the desktop computer is gone. This is idiotic claim and so not true. It might have reduced market share, but certainly not gone.

And another thing people say is that touch screen on a desktop is stupid, long live keyboard and mouse. I disagree (but agree on the keyboard and mouse)

I think Windows 8 opens doors to the desktop computer to evolve to it's next stage, as did computer with user interfaces with the mouse.

This is what I see the future of our desktop computer will be, thanks to Wacom with it's Cintiq monitor:

Now, I am not saying he all going to have to get these super fancy monitors, but it's to give you the conceptual idea. So basically, what i am saying is that, like the mouse that came after the keyboard.. the mouse didn't replace the keyboard it complement it. Touch screen and digitize pen support as you see from the Cintiq monitor, will also compliment the desktop experience. Also, I beleive such monitor will help reduce or solve common computer related issues from the users, such as back or neck pain, and carpel tunnel syndrome.

Worry about Windows 8? No, I am exited to see what comes next!

No worries win 8 is fine and windows 9 should be ready sooner than you think.

I'm not worried about Windows because I'll use Windows 7 until Steam is fully supported with Linux or until Windows 7 is not supported anymore.

or you could not fear change, metro isn't actually bad if you treat it like a full screen start menu.
That is exactly what it is. The only completely new thing is the touch friendly fullscreen 'metro/modern' apps and the store to go along with them. I think the upcoming Windows Blue project will bring alot more OS functions that still rely on the desktop under the new UI and things will really begin to get interesting.

Also Win8 brings alot to the table as far as improving the desktop experience and performance improvements. When it can boot in less than 15 seconds on my old Dell E1505, they sure as hell did something. There is alot of room for improvement as far as multitasking, but it will come. I don't see the desktop ever going away completely, it will just be needed less and less for all but us most powerful of users.

"Practice static safety, hack naked." - Mega Tokyo

i7-3770K, 16GB, Samsung 840PRO, R9-290X, Corsair 650D

Yeah but if you remove metro its just like an ugly half assed beta of windows 7. I hope windows can learn from this that changing the interface to metro is not a good thing, they should keep the general idea and layout and just improve its visuals. Just like Vista to Windows 7, which happened to be microsofts most successful leap.
Don't be afraid to use something new. Just because you were used to Windows 7 doesn't make 8 bad! If you go into it like "WHY IS THIS NOT WIN 7 DERP HERP" of course you're not going to like it. If you go into it with the attitude that hey, maybe MS is on to something, learn to use it the way its meant to be used, you'll have a much nicer user experience than with 7. And i'm talking both Touch and Keyboard and Mouse. Yes, there's a learning curve. But its worth it. Don't be one of those guys who hates it because you read the initial reviews of scared bloggers, be the guy who tries it and says, hey this isnt actually that bad... I was one of those guys when i tried the dev preview. But after learning how to use the polished version, I much prefer it to Win 7.

I agree with Zephik Windows 8 offers a lot more to the table. Part of the reason I didn't upgrade was Im getting my $200 out of Windows 7. I would say if your on XP or Vista then Windows 8 would be good for you. My concern is if Microsoft becomes like Apple and releases a new OS every Year or Every 2 years and stops supporting the old OS.

But I would also like to say this. Micrsoft should have gave us a choice when it comes to the GUI on Windows 8. Just like you can install different Desktop Environments in Linux, we should have has a option for Metro or Window 7 environment.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Why would be trouble. The Smart Phone and Tablet market requires frequente OS updates. So as microsoft is using a single OS (well for tablet and desktop), Windows model will change. The update, if charged, will be around 15-30$. You are still getting security update support and the rest.

• 2 weeks later...

Do any touchpads or something like that exist for PC? I would love to get one to use Metro UI or how's it called without a touch screen. Something that I will just put on my desk next to my keyboard and use it when I want.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

Not really, its innovating actually.

We are just not used to see windows adapt with the influence of touch technology :D

Not really; Windows will almost always be profitable just on business contracts. However, in the unlikely event that consumers start veering away from it, developers of games and applications will just support the next most popular OS, and when I find that I need to move to it, I will, and nothing of value was lost.

Check out my Trading Card Inventory, I probably have that one card you need

Gaming PC  Corsair C70 Arctic White ▪ MSI Z77 MPower ▪ i7-3770k, Core 4.0 GHz ▪ Patriot IEM 4 x 4GB @ 2133MHz ▪ 2 x Palit GTX 670 Jetstreams in SLI, Core 1250 MHz, Mem 3150 MHz ▪ OS on 128GB Samsung 840 Pro ▪ Silverstone ST85F-P w/ Fancy Silverstone Cables

Server ▫ Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey ▪ Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 ▪ i5-2500 ▪ Corsair Vengeance 2 x 4GB @ 1600MHz ▪ Asus GTX 550ti ▪ OS on 120GB Samsung 840 ▪ 5.2TB Storage Space ▪ Antex HCG 900

No, i'm not worried, windows 8 is fine.

But i' have switched to Linux.

Signatures are stupid.