I built myself into a corner...

NetherRealm

Over the time I have built my PC...

Spoiler

(Which I pretty much just hobbled together with whatever I could get my grubby little hands on (since it was in the middle of the ETH mining of 2018/ DRAM shortages))

I basically ordered whatever I could possibly manage to acquire without going into debt... Now I am looking at buying a new GPU, specifically a Radeon VII, because AMD for the win I guess ?... and if I want to upgrade my GPU I HAVE TO upgrade my monitor, and my PSU just to make use of almost ANY newer/better GPU... not that my PSU couldn't handle it, but I would have to remove most of my (internal) storage drives, add-in cards, and whatnot just to make sure I have enough wattage to make the most use of better hardware; as for my monitor... lets just say I'll need a monitor with AT LEAST HDMI, preferably freesync, and a higher refresh rate than 60hz.

So in order to get a newer monitor (which I have already chosen), PSU (also chosen), and GPU, it comes out to around $1,230 (I think this is with certain deals/discounts on newegg)... I currently have less than $450 in my checking account... Eff-Me...?

There's nothing like doing something without planning, thought, or brains... Now I get to fix all my mistakes, buying everything new, and not cheaping out on ANYTHING like the twat I was/ am.

Spoiler

This probably goes without saying, but I am going to leave this here anyways...

Personal advice for new builders: Planning a build for a "new" PC should ALWAYS include some planning and thought about your parts... even if GPU mining, DRAM shortages/ literally ANYTHING else causes prices to skyrocket on what you want... Also, just don't cheap out too much, it might come back to bite you later when you want to upgrade... 

4 minutes ago, NetherRealm said:

Personal advice for new builders: Planning a build for a "new" PC should ALWAYS include some planning and thought about your parts... even if GPU mining, DRAM shortages/ literally ANYTHING else causes prices to skyrocket on what you want... Also, just don't cheap out too much, it might come back to bite you later when you want to upgrade... 

I learned this the hard way too when I purchased a cheap (but luckily not fire hazard) PSU. I've since learned to buy a bit more than I need, and something of quality, too, because it can follow me from build to build for at least 5-10 years rather than having to be upgraded every build.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

I'm not really good at English so I'm just going to be blunt, what is the problem that you run into? PSU blowing up the whole system? 

1 minute ago, kirashi said:

I learned this the hard way too when I purchased a cheap (but luckily not fire hazard) PSU. I've since learned to buy a bit more than I need, and something of quality, too, because it can follow me from build to build for at least 5-10 years rather than having to be upgraded every build.

Luckily I didn't go too low on a PSU, 650 watts new, but I do need a bit more headroom if I want to get into the deeper waters of better, and better hardware... not to mention I am looking at upgrading almost every aspect of my PC, since I am now looking to get the best hardware I can buy/ available... What I really need to do is get rid of as much extra crap inside my PC as I can, consolidate what I don't want to give up entirely into 1 HDD, 1 SSD, and 1 M.2... I also need to move my windows installation to an M.2 so I can go even faster... and you know what? Tonight I am going to remove that stupid blu-ray drive I barely use and put it back into the hollowed out corpse of a case I initially built my PC in... give it to my brother when I upgrade everything I have now, give him the hardware I don't use anymore and don't want... at least it won't go to waste, or sit in a landfill forever...

Spoiler

None of this even matters, I don't know why I typed it out, but i'm too lazy to delete it... sorry.

With the storage I have I have plans to consolidate my storage into single drives... I have 2x2TB HDDs, a 120GB M.2, a 500GB SSD, and a 240GB SSD... not to mention the 4TB external backup drive I am looking at moving INTO my PC, rather than having it on the outside... so yeah, with ALL the new stuff I am looking at buying... it's going to be approaching $2000 just to get up to speed, and up to date... My RAM is too slow, my M.2 drive is cache only, my GPU is aging like my will to live, my motherboard chipset is preventing my PC from reaching it's true potential, and I have no idea why I bought a blu-ray R+W drive... I barely use it, though it's nice to have for device drivers... assuming I don't want the latest one available... I can't even watch movies on my PC why the Eff did I buy it? Backups? Archival? That trash is expensive to keep buying continually!

My monitor doesn't has HDMI yet kicks most modern 1080p LED crap right in the ass

29 minutes ago, NetherRealm said:

I currently have less than $450 in my checking account

I have $13

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

30 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

My monitor doesn't has HDMI yet kicks most modern 1080p LED crap right in the ass

I have $13

OOF

1 minute ago, ryanjenson90 said:

try earning through freelancing.

i guess you would not make a mistake on that.

Regards.

I currently work at an Amazon Facility, but when I started building I worked for my local McDonalds... made more money working at mcdonalds than I do working for amazon... then again, quite a bit of my mcdonalds income was spent buying gas to help out our other locations... didn't always get cash to pay for my gas, but I still went like the mindless worker I was... My life is more stable now than the entire time I worked at mcdonalds too...?

39 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

I have $13

DVI and even VGA is perfectly fine for 1080p. 

I have $-256.00

I spent two hundred and fifty dollars on my rig, its a 200 watt hp with a 25 watt 4gbgddr5 gpu from zotac that can run tomb raider on ultra on a 720p screen at 40 fps. I wanted an off grid gaming computer that was able to handle decent gaming performance. i think this fits the bill. Building PC's is a trial by fire process despite having many options. If you need some one to text to hmu 1-707-734-3096

Just now, floofer said:

DVI and even VGA is perfectly fine for 1080p. 

I have $-256.00

Radeon VII cards don't have VGA or DVI... as far as I know, and I don't really want to be stuck on 60 hz 60 FPS with my screen flickering as much as it does... so a converter is out of the question for me... I am looking to get some of the best hardware that is within my budget...ish... I like to plan everything out, not that I can afford anything anyways, not yet at least.

BIG OOF... what does your bank charge for overdraft fees?

2 minutes ago, NetherRealm said:

Radeon VII cards don't have VGA or DVI... as far as I know, and I don't really want to be stuck on 60 hz 60 FPS with my screen flickering as much as it does... so a converter is out of the question for me... I am looking to get some of the best hardware that is within my budget...ish... I like to plan everything out, not that I can afford anything anyways, not yet at least.

I'd probably look at either saving, buying your other components firsts or settling for something second hand, like maybe a 1070ti. 

2 minutes ago, NetherRealm said:

BIG OOF... what does your bank charge for overdraft fees?

$2 max, but mine will be like $1. I'm pre-approved for around 700, but I'm working on just getting rid of it. Makes me spend too much. 

1 minute ago, ricksanchez said:

I spent two hundred and fifty dollars on my rig, its a 200 watt hp with a 25 watt 4gbgddr5 gpu from zotac that can run tomb raider on ultra on a 720p screen at 40 fps. I wanted an off grid gaming computer that was able to handle decent gaming performance. i think this fits the bill. Building PC's is a trial by fire process despite having many options. If you need some one to text to hmu 1-707-734-3096

I should probably mention I can play in 720p, but I want to get into playing in 1080p... preferably above 1-5 FPS in Fallout 4.... Though the card I have now was an upgrade to what I initially had...? let's just say, that one was actually ancient, and I was lucky if I got any detail moving at 1-5 FPS with mods to lower the quality even more than the lowest settings even allowed. however, it's nice to know someone if I ever need a build done, though I have done everything myself so far, and it's a wonder I haven't killed any components I delt with since my static wristband snapped on first/last use, and I no longer use it when I work on my PC in MY CARPETED ROOM! I have no idea how this thing even boots TBH.

1 minute ago, floofer said:

I'd probably look at either saving, buying your other components firsts or settling for something second hand, like maybe a 1070ti. 

$2 max, but mine will be like $1. I'm pre-approved for around 700, but I'm working on just getting rid of it. Makes me spend too much. 

a $2 overdraft fee? the bank I (used to(it's a long story i'll summarize) go to charged like $32 as an overdraft fee... though they've been bought out by a bigger bank and we haven't got our cards/info yet, and they switch over starting next week and ending the week after that..? where's my new card?

22 minutes ago, NetherRealm said:

a $2 overdraft fee? the bank I (used to(it's a long story i'll summarize) go to charged like $32 as an overdraft fee... though they've been bought out by a bigger bank and we haven't got our cards/info yet, and they switch over starting next week and ending the week after that..? where's my new card?

Look, all these overdrafts, loans etc will just dig you into a hole, don't worry about them. You're much better off with patience, no more added stress. Don't worry about a new card at all, just use efpos till it arrives. 

8 hours ago, ricksanchez said:

-Texts random memes throughout the night-

"Liam" - CPU: Ryzen 3700x Base GPU: EVGA Titan X(Maxwell) RAM: Trident Royal Z 32GB @ 3600mhz Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic White Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro RGB 360mm Case Fans: Thermaltake Riing 12 Series Whitex6

I planned a 1080p rig with the upgrade to 1440p in mind for the future.

the 1440p upgrade for monitor and card is about the same as the entire 1080p PC cost.

The decent 1440p monitor alone cost more than the graphics card and monitor for 1080p combined!

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

5 minutes ago, NineEyeRon said:

I planned a 1080p rig with the upgrade to 1440p in mind for the future.

the 1440p upgrade for monitor and card is about the same as the entire 1080p PC cost.

The decent 1440p monitor alone cost more than the graphics card and monitor for 1080p combined!

tfw pretty much any half-decent 1440p monitor will cost more than my entire PC. ?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)