SSD in a DIMM slot !

qwertywarrior

Probably is the same thing as the theorathical 2TB storge on (micro)SD cards. It will never be archievable the next 5 years i think.

i bet they are using  highly stacked NANDs

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

DDR3 Ram + Ram disk. Done. It'll get you a good bit of storage that you can do now.

You can also back it up to an SSD or HDD before shut down and after boot so it will be there all the time.

So, is it gonna be like a ram disk?

ELEPHANT SEALS EVERYWHERE!

Damn dat ping :P

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

I thought PCIe SSDs were enough... we'll see soon enough then

Wait.. what? How?

jaw-drop.jpg

How has no one done this before? So much awesome. I mean thats gotta be fast man, fast as all hell

shut-up-and-take-my-money-530x298.jpg

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

But you lose a ram slot.. Yeeaaahh.. I'm good.

This wouldn't be for consumers, they'd be professional environments (or enthusiasts).

Basically, people running proper servers (E5 Xeons) or high end workstations (X79), so they would have 8 DIMMs.

Now my question, is this volatile memory? Because if it is, then this is basically just really high density RAM disk, if it's not then it's basically a never nice looking SSD.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

This isn't practical for consumer devices because each time you restart, the ram will clear itself. I'm pretty sure this is still applicable to this, but someone correct me if I am wrong.

If irs a ssd it should t the question is if itll be used as ram or storage really I havnt read anytjing else but this interesting but no consumer would have a use for it either way at this point.

If irs a ssd it should t the question is if itll be used as ram or storage really I havnt read anytjing else but this interesting but no consumer would have a use for it either way at this point.

I have a feeling it will be used as ram, since I see no need for servers to have blazing fast hard drives. high capacity memory/ram on the other hand would seem like a big necessity for enterprises, even if it will operate slower than double data rate ram.

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

But you lose a ram slot.. Yeeaaahh.. I'm good.

You wouldn't sacrifice a single RAM slot for a 12.8TB SSD.

Are you crazy?

S2011 will be king now lol

CPU: core i7 3930k @4.2ghz- MOBO: ASUS P9X79- GPU: GTX 680 2gb Reference SLI- SIMM: 8gb Kingston hyperX genesis 1600mhz- HDD/SSD: Seagate Baracuda 1.0tb/OCZ agility 3/ Vertex 2- CASE: corsair graphite 600T- COOLER: corsair H100- PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 850w- FANS: Noctua NF-F12.

OMG I WANT

Ive always wondered why no one has come up with the brilliant idea to cache your OS on ram

I thunk it but my youth and my choice in major has crippled my idea of making this reality.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

you can always use ram disk its really really fast and you can use it as a hard drive, but if you loose power or reboot you will loose all data since its a ram...

but in the software you use for ramdisk there is always a method to back up your data when you shut down your PC

This isn't practical for consumer devices because each time you restart, the ram will clear itself. I'm pretty sure this is still applicable to this, but someone correct me if I am wrong.

If that where the case why even release this? They would only label it as high storage ram and not as a dedicated ssd. Normal ram uses volatile storage which would be a different chip than what an ssd would use

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

If that where the case why even release this? They would only label it as high storage ram and not as a dedicated ssd. Normal ram uses volatile storage which would be a different chip than what an ssd would use

This is just my guess. I didn't look into it too much. 

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

This looks amazing for EXTREMELY low profile builds!

Specs: CPU: FX 8350 MOBO: Crosshair V Formula-Z RAM: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Beast 1600Mhz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce GHz Edition PSU: Corsair CX750M Case: Corsair 750D Storage: Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB + WD 2TB Green + WD 200GB Black (non-functional/to take up space) Monitor: ASUS PB238Q Upgrade Plans Herehttp://pcpartpicker.com/user/chipsndip104/saved/3AAt

You wouldn't sacrifice a single RAM slot for a 12.8TB SSD.

Are you crazy?

When we get 16gb ram DIMMS then yes.

hello

OMG that looks amazing :)  :)  :)

12.8 TB OMGGGGGG!!¨even more awesome that would be Fu**ing super incredible AMAZING :rolleyes:

1364242146053.png

Where do bad folks go when they die?
They don't go to heaven where the angels fly
They go to the lake of fire and fry, Won't see them again 'till the fourth of July

There's actually a program that allows you to install anything on your existing ram, you can run an OS if you use virtual computer to install it there. I used to install my games onto ram

I havent seen this posted as yet unless i missed it but anyway i thought this was pretty awesome :) would love to get my hands on some to play with for a while xD

more info here

“The SanDisk ULLtraDIMM SSD was designed to expand the reach of ultra-low latency flash storage throughout the data center and scale to meet the requirements of any enterprise application, no matter how bandwidth or capacity intensive,” said John Scaramuzzo, senior vice president and general manager, Enterprise Storage Solutions at SanDisk. “The ULLtraDIMM SSD’s linear performance scalability and innovative DIMM form factor allow organizations to deploy flash as their application requirements change, without requiring significant infrastructure investment.”

Edit: sorry link should be good now guys