New Firefox update released, blocks autoplaying audio, prevents page-jumping from late ad loading

kuhnertdm

Source: https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2019/03/19/todays-firefox-aims-to-reduce-your-online-annoyances/

Release notes: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/66.0/releasenotes/

Today, Mozilla released a new major version of Firefox that comes with two new features to mitigate online annoyances commonly caused by ads.

With version 66, Firefox now automatically blocks autoplaying audio on the web. This option is able to be disabled, and also allows for the use of a whitelist, so users can let some domains autoplay audio while blocking it from everywhere else. The second new feature is "scroll anchoring", which stops the page from jumping up or down when ads or other page contents load, pushing the main content away from where the user is looking. The new feature automatically changes the scroll position to keep the content where it is on screen.

The following smaller improvements were also added to the new version:

• Added a search bar to the tab overflow menu, so users can search for tabs when they have obscene numbers of them open
  • Added a search bar to the default private browsing tab
  • Improved performance of reading extension settings
  • Redesigned keyboard shortcuts options
  • Redesigned certificate error pages, giving more layman-understandable descriptions of why the error is happening and why a site is deemed unsafe
  • Increases default number of content loading processes from 4 to 8, improving performance
  • Added Windows Hello support on Win10 for face/fingerprint/etc authentication on websites
  • Added touchbar support on macOS
  • Redesigned Pocket layout on the new tab page
  • Various bug/security fixes

So long as it doesn't betray the Jedi, we're good.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

The lads at Mozilla looking out for us. This is a huge help on the web, especially when listing to music and all the sudden you're interrupted by (turn volume down)

Spoiler

I really hate when the page jumps after content has loaded. Does it specify if it applies to non ad related content such as images or videos embedded in the text of a page? Since most of us use adblock anyway, that would be more the issue here.

EDIT: I should learn to read harder .-. But still, I am super happy this finally is a thing. Shit like that legit caused me to just close a webpage because it pissed me off so much.

What websites right now uses facial login?

I wish they update firefox for Linux ARM, really don't want to use chrome on the raspberry pi

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

14 hours ago, kuhnertdm said:

The second new feature is "scroll anchoring", which stops the page from jumping up or down when ads or other page contents load, pushing the main content away from where the user is looking. The new feature automatically changes the scroll position to keep the content where it is on screen.

This is a godsend.

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

7 hours ago, williamcll said:

What websites right now uses facial login?

I wish they update firefox for Linux ARM, really don't want to use chrome on the raspberry pi

Technically, it can be done through Microsoft Hello and password manager like Bitwarden. Haven't tried it myself yet. You still need password behind, but it's managed by a password manager. So, you show your face/fingerprint, password manager authenticates it and uses attached passwords to login to certain webpage.

15 hours ago, kuhnertdm said:

Added a search bar to the tab overflow menu, so users can search for tabs when they have obscene numbers of them open

?

8 hours ago, williamcll said:

On debian, it's built for ARM64 https://packages.debian.org/stretch/firefox-esr. Same for Fedora (latest and ESR).

HTTP/2 203

Now if someone could make a functional Media Keys extension for it, I'd be all set and move from Chrome.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

Mine updated last night and annoyingly broke youtube. I was force signed out on all my tabs and kept getting an error when trying to sign back in. Ended up clearing all my cookies and history to fix the issue.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

They should include a free VPN at least on incognito, like Opera does

useful for watching youtube vids

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

20 hours ago, kuhnertdm said:

With version 66, Firefox now automatically blocks autoplaying audio on the web . . . The second new feature is "scroll anchoring", which stops the page from jumping up or down when ads or other page contents load, pushing the main content away from where the user is looking. The new feature automatically changes the scroll position to keep the content where it is on screen.

. . .

• Increases default number of content loading processes from 4 to 8, improving performance

In my book, Mozilla Firefox just one-punch-KO'd Google Chrome with these new features.

Quick question:  Will the increased number of content loading processes eat more battery on my laptop?  I switched from Chrome to Firefox because Firefox isn't as resource-heavy which helps my battery life.  (Didn't realize the other Chrome-beating perks of Firefox until I had used it for a few days.)

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

20 hours ago, kuhnertdm said:

"scroll anchoring"

I have had a small issue with this so far. When opening and closing images on 4chan, it will sometimes cause the page to jump around. Basically doing the opposite of what the update intended.
When closing an image, the screen scrolls up instead of down, which is what i'm use to and is more convenient when scrolling down a thread.

Been swapping between Firefox and Chrome for sometime. Updates like this and Mozilla's focus on customer privacy makes me want to stick with Firefox and I think I will for sometime now.

16 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

?

On debian, it's built for ARM64 https://packages.debian.org/stretch/firefox-esr. Same for Fedora (latest and ESR).

No, ESR is buggy on the pi, I've tried it on lubuntu and mint.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Auto play of any kind could already be disabled under the hood on previous versions of firefox but I guess it;s nice that it's now disabled by default.

And pocket is about as useful as a fart in a windstorm and should just die already.

At least Mozilla is focusing on increasing performance rather then adding more tracking like other more popular browsers...

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.