Why is AMD the Budget Option for Gamers?

9 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

If AMD sponsored the video they wouldn't have been very happy about the title, unless thats why LTT changed it.

Im just joking around man ;)

Monitor: Alienware AW2518HF CPU: 9900K @ 5.1GHz Heatsink: 2x360MM Custom Loop GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING X TRIO RAM: Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 2x8GB 4400Mhz Mobo: Asus Maximus XI Gene Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 PSU: Corsair RM1000x Storage: Seagate Firecuda 510 2TB M.2, Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 256GB M.2

2 hours ago, Velcade said:

This isn't really a surprise.  The title wasn't going to last long...

What surprises me is your use of Day Theme

I was surprised that they used it to start with, but it was probably just to get views via controversy.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Interesting self-censorship.

Yes, different price points please.

I wonder what the original title to this one was supposed to be?

original title.PNG

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

On 3/15/2019 at 5:35 PM, Tristerin said:

Turns out taking my screenshot was worth 

I've got no idea why you think that's worth doing and even less idea about why you felt you needed to tell anyone, let alone a whole forum, know you had.

@GabenJr something to include in future comparisons would be how easy it would be to upgrade the system in the future.

Long term having the hardware for a couple of years and then bringing it back out and comparing upgrading what you had vs getting a new system. Given how much old stuff Linus has show, in various videos, gathering dust it's something worth considering.

It's an area where quality of motherboard might be important as you'll probably need a BIOS upgrade.

25 minutes ago, Cluey said:

I've got no idea why you think that's worth doing and even less idea about why you felt you needed to tell anyone, let alone a whole forum, know you had.

This place is a literal Soap Box (its...a...forum)

And you have the gumption to ask the question at me the way you did?  Oh wait, you used the Soap Box.  Glad you learned today.

Anyhow Ill give you the idea why cause you seem to be really concerned with me documenting LTT turning into a sideshow - because I can.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

On 3/14/2019 at 2:15 PM, GoldenLag said:

Bottlenecking is one of the biggest "fearmongering" talking point in PC-build/gaming. 

Its one of the most abused and misused terms. On the same level as "IPC".

Bottlenecking exist. For example if I put my VEGA64 in my Compaq Q963 with PCIe2.0 in an opened x1 slot. THAT is a bottleneck.

A Ryzen 1700x is NOT a bottleneck.

A Geforce GT710 in the Ryzen 1700x however would be a bottleneck.

And in the 2400g it just makes no sense...

On 3/14/2019 at 2:28 PM, GoldenLag said:

Im halfway concerned people havent watched the actual vid.

I agree.

The Video seems rather positive towards AMD or rather bashes Intel for the price....

On 3/14/2019 at 2:58 PM, remus243 said:

You do understand games are usually optimized for a platform?

Well, there are some things and also there are accusations that some game companies might use the Intel Compiler,..

And there is also the parallelization aspect.

What @Mahoney and some other don't get is that more than 4 Cores or rather more than 8 Thread CPUs in Desktop are only around 2 Years old, when AMD released Ryzen.

After only 2 years we are seeing Games that utilize more than 4 Cores/8 Threads. That's an amazingly quick step that shows that at least 6 Cores were more than needed.

But hey, lets buy a new Intel System NOW; that's worse than swiss cheese and plagued with secudity holes, wich also don't stop, that you can throw away in a year or two because of that (and that there won't be new CPUs for that Socket), and also upcoming games that utilize an 8 Core/16 Thread Processor fully because that is what upcoming Consoles will come with.

A 6C/6T CPU might perform a bit better in some games right now but in the long run it won't, it will be annihilated.

Why am I so sure about that?! Because exactly that already happened - TWO TIMES!

From 1 to two cores and from 2 to 4 cores a bit later...

But many people might be to young to remember that because we almost had 4C/8T Desktop CPUs for 10 full years, thanks to AMD it fell a bit short and the 10 year anniversary of that didn't happen luckily.

2008 was the release date of Nehalem...

If Zen2 is only half as awesome as the rumor mill mills, it will get interesting...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Im really looking forward to some high end competition for Nvidia too with Navi, although the pessimist in my feels that they'll be still mostly targeting the low/mid-range as that's where the money is

Monitor: Alienware AW2518HF CPU: 9900K @ 5.1GHz Heatsink: 2x360MM Custom Loop GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING X TRIO RAM: Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 2x8GB 4400Mhz Mobo: Asus Maximus XI Gene Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 PSU: Corsair RM1000x Storage: Seagate Firecuda 510 2TB M.2, Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 256GB M.2

18 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Its one of the most abused and misused terms. On the same level as "IPC".

Bottlenecking exist. For example if I put my VEGA64 in my Compaq Q963 with PCIe2.0 in an opened x1 slot. THAT is a bottleneck.

A Ryzen 1700x is NOT a bottleneck.

A Geforce GT710 in the Ryzen 1700x however would be a bottleneck.

And in the 2400g it just makes no sense...

I agree.

The Video seems rather positive towards AMD or rather bashes Intel for the price....

Well, there are some things and also there are accusations that some game companies might use the Intel Compiler,..

And there is also the parallelization aspect.

What @Mahoney and some other don't get is that more than 4 Cores or rather more than 8 Thread CPUs in Desktop are only around 2 Years old, when AMD released Ryzen.

After only 2 years we are seeing Games that utilize more than 4 Cores/8 Threads. That's an amazingly quick step that shows that at least 6 Cores were more than needed.

But hey, lets buy a new Intel System NOW; that's worse than swiss cheese and plagued with secudity holes, wich also don't stop, that you can throw away in a year or two because of that (and that there won't be new CPUs for that Socket), and also upcoming games that utilize an 8 Core/16 Thread Processor fully because that is what upcoming Consoles will come with.

A 6C/6T CPU might perform a bit better in some games right now but in the long run it won't, it will be annihilated.

Why am I so sure about that?! Because exactly that already happened - TWO TIMES!

From 1 to two cores and from 2 to 4 cores a bit later...

But many people might be to young to remember that because we almost had 4C/8T Desktop CPUs for 10 full years, thanks to AMD it fell a bit short and the 10 year anniversary of that didn't happen luckily.

2008 was the release date of Nehalem...

If Zen2 is only half as awesome as the rumor mill mills, it will get interesting...

So this is?Fake news? right? People keep on harping abut intel having the clock speed advantage yet in both vids amd is  clocked 400mhz higher  and is still behind - IN AMD sponsored titles at that

Also you're talking about the long run? Matey in 3-4 years time Ryzen 1st gen and refresh are going to bottleneck high end gpu's @ 1440p like they do now with the 2080ti  @ 1080p

You know how people - especially the AMD fanboys made fun of cpu benchmarking at 720p? You know that's happening now with 1080p on the AMD side and people keep going oh that's just poor optimization - we kept hearing the same shit about bullodzer & piledriver.

In gaming ryzen will always be second to Intel and that's a fact that can be easily confirmed.

I really hope the 3000 series improves things massively in gaming but im rather pessimistic at the moment.

I think yall should be more specific - HIGH REFRESH RATE GAMING Intel smashes AMD.  AMD isn't getting smashed in gaming.  AMD is getting smashed in HIGH REFRESH RATE GAMING.

There isn't a AAA title on the market an equal MB/RAM/GPU setup with the differing CPUs that couldn't be run on AMD or Intel.  Intel will typically, and historically, own the higher refresh rates.

59 minutes ago, Mahoney said:

So this is?Fake news? right? People keep on harping abut intel having the clock speed advantage yet in both vids amd is  clocked 400mhz higher  and is still behind - IN AMD sponsored titles at that

Oh interesting.

You link a video with just under 14k Views. How long did you look for that to find it?!

What you're doing is called "Cherry Picking". But what about this:

https://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/devil-may-cry-5-test-gpu-cpu

2600x beatin 8600k in avg. fps

And you understand the difference between CPU Performance and Latency?!
With 100fps+ or so, we're not talking about the "IPC", we're talking about Latency.

Also you're talking about the long run?

Yes, like this:

https://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/assassin-s-creed-odyssey-test-gpu-cpu-2018

And other instances where the AMD Chip isn't that much worse like you claim...

And there is the Upgrade Path that doesn't exist on Intel but does on AMD...

Matey in 3-4 years time Ryzen 1st gen and refresh are going to bottleneck high end gpu's @ 1440p like they do now with the 2080ti  @ 1080p

...at wich point in time you could just replace the CPU with a faster, 7nm Chip that's coming next year...

And, as said, your "bottleneck" claim is just utter nonsense, as @GoldenLag already stated. That ain't no Bottleneck!

Also:
If that would be the case, why are there so many people to this day with a Sandy and Ivy Bridge CPU??

Right now these words are typed from a Sandybridge CPU.

An i7-3930K to be precise..

2 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

I think yall should be more specific - HIGH REFRESH RATE GAMING

That's called Low Latency Gaming ;)

Because at those high refresh rates, the Calculating power is irrelevant, all that counts is the latency inside the CPU...

But that's another Problem:
Because we had a standstill for almost 10 years with just 4 Cores and 8 Threads at best, wich also got more expensive over the years (remember: I7-920 was just under 200€ at the time!!) and the Consoles holding it a bit back, the CPU Demand for Games stagnated, so that every somewhat OKish CPU from the last 10 years is able to be used in Games reasonably well...

But what is impressive is that there are some games, after just 2 years of 8 Cores in Consumer Desktop PC, that actually utilize all 8 Cores of modern CPUs and allow a performance increase because of the cores.

THAT is amazing and shows that there is a demand for that. 
And with the next gen consoles on the Horizon (to be released next Year), wich are said to also feature an AMD GPU as well as an AMD CPU with 8 Cores and probably SMT enabled -> 16 Threads, it doesn't look too well for older 4 Core CPUs with and without SMT and also 6 Core CPUs without SMT...

Also: Nobody cares about 150fps average vs. 125fps.

That doesn't tell you that one CPU is more powerful...

4 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Oh interesting.

You link a video with just under 14k Views. How long did you look for that to find it?!

What you're doing is called "Cherry Picking". But what about this:

https://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/devil-may-cry-5-test-gpu-cpu

2600x beatin 8600k in avg. fps

And you understand the difference between CPU Performance and Latency?!
With 100fps+ or so, we're not talking about the "IPC", we're talking about Latency.

Yes, like this:

https://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/assassin-s-creed-odyssey-test-gpu-cpu-2018

And other instances where the AMD Chip isn't that much worse like you claim...

And there is the Upgrade Path that doesn't exist on Intel but does on AMD...

...at wich point in time you could just replace the CPU with a faster, 7nm Chip that's coming next year...

And, as said, your "bottleneck" claim is just utter nonsense, as @GoldenLag already stated. That ain't no Bottleneck!

Also:
If that would be the case, why are there so many people to this day with a Sandy and Ivy Bridge CPU??

Right now these words are typed from a Sandybridge CPU.

An i7-3930K to be precise..

Oh boy first of Wolfgang makes some amazing videos comparing different gpu's/cpu/.. Same with Dude Random84

Second Cherry Picking? All 3 games including DMC5 are AMD sponsored if you didn't know that ?

So there's no bottlenecking going on here with the 2700x paired with all the RTX cards?

In some scenes there's less than 10fps difference between those cards - thats criminal if u ask me

22 hours ago, Mahoney said:

Oh boy first of Wolfgang makes some amazing videos comparing different gpu's/cpu/.. Same with Dude Random84

Second Cherry Picking? All 3 games including DMC5 are AMD sponsored if you didn't know that ?

So there's no bottlenecking going on here with the 2700x paired with all the RTX cards?

In some scenes there's less than 10fps difference between those cards - thats criminal if u ask me

All games ran like 100fps avg :D Thats more than 200% increase to what most people game on. I might pay 200-300€ to get fps from 60 to 100, but would not spend even half of that for 100 to 120-144.

• 2 months later...

mitigations=off (without internet) vs on in Manjaro Lignux with this same CPUs as now Intel is 40% worse after mitigations. Plus, of course, MS WOS and wine. Perhaps some games performance and video editing and rendering performance increases with Intel make worth to play - or render - wine - or Lignux native games or video editing software - offline and with mitigations=off, as it is 66% faster (60%x1.66=100) much more than any overclock