RX Vega 56 vs RTX 2060

Hi!

I'm considering doing a gpu upgrade. I currently use a 1080p 144mhz monitor, but want to change to a 1440p monitor in the future. So I'm considering 2 options: 

1. ASUS Radeon RX Vega 56 ROG Strix OC - 395$

2. ASUS GeForce RTX 2060 ROG Strix OC (you get FarCry New Dawn and Anthem included in the purchase) - 475$

(prices are higher in my country then compered to the US)

I want to spend as little money as possible, but if it's worth paying more for the rtx 2060, i'm willing to use 475$, but that is kinda my limmit. 

My current specs are:

MSI Gtx 970

i5-3470 with 8gb 1333mhz ram

I know my cpu is getting old, but I cant afford doing and gpu and cpu upgrade. Would an rtx 2060 or Vega 56 be a terrible match with the i5-3470? Will a bottleneck just give me less fps or would it give me framedrops??

Thanks for all answers!

2 minutes ago, Polariux said:

Hi!

I'm considering doing a gpu upgrade. I currently use a 1080p 144mhz monitor, but want to change to a 1440p monitor in the future. So I'm considering 2 options: 

2. ASUS GeForce RTX 2060 ROG Strix OC (you get FarCry New Dawn and Anthem included in the purchase) - 475$

I want to spend as little money as possible, but if it's worth paying more for the rtx 2060, i'm willing to use 475$, but that is kinda my limmit. 

My current specs are:

MSI Gtx 970

i5-3470 with 8gb 1333mhz ram

I know my cpu is getting old, but I cant afford doing and gpu and cpu upgrade. Would an rtx 2060 or Vega 56 be a terrible match with the i5-3470? Will a bottleneck just give me less fps or would it give me framedrops??

Thanks for all answers!

id say the rtx 2060 because its a bit faster and your getting those nice games with it to, but screw dlss as its bull shit

There is no benefit going beyond a 970 with that CPU. You might get better performance with that card already when upgrading to a Coffee Lake i5 or Ryzen 5.

The RTX2060 is also noticeably faster than the Vega56

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Forget Asus, Sapphire is your way to go, best cars around for amd and for nvidia go with evga. also Vega 56 sapphire pulse is a very good card. 299£ here

I honestly would upgrade your CPU before your graphics card. I would see if you can get away with a 3770 for $50 and if you can than sure get the graphics card, otherwise a whole platform upgrade is in order.

1 minute ago, schwellmo92 said:

I honestly would upgrade your CPU before your graphics card. I would see if you can get away with a 3770 for $50 and if you can than sure get the graphics card, otherwise a whole platform upgrade is in order.

Good luck finding a 3770 for that little money. They still fetch upwards of €120 in Europe so I doubt it's a lot cheaper elsewhere.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

It's not worth paying more in this case. Vega 56 is a tiny bit under the 2060. In terms of the overall package, at those two prices these are equal in value. You gain ray tracing and dlss (a horrendous feature) with the 2060 for a little more price. With the vega 56 you get 2gb more vram. That may help in the future a few years after you choose 1440p. (6gb gddr6 is easily enough for now, despite what people say. This isn't a 3gb 1060 situation. There are no frame drops at higher resolution in ANY game with a 2060 even in most cases at 4k)

I'd say get the vega 56.

And don't let the people who say 'you won't get higher fps than what you currently have if you keep using the i5 3470'. It's nonsense. You can put a vega 56 or 2060 in there and the performance will be higher, I can guarantee it. The minimums might stay the same, but the highs will be higher and that's what matters.

4 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

The RTX2060 is also noticeably faster than the Vega56

It's actually 7% faster at 1440p than a Vega 56. While it is faster, it's also almost 17% more expensive judging from the prices that OP listed. Vega 56 is a better buy in this case.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Buying a new Gen GPU to that weak CPU is not a smart idea. As @schwellmo92 and @NelizMastr said, buy a new CPU first. Of course this will be expensive considering getting a new Motherboard is necessary. Maybe you should get a RX 580 and a new CPU then.

The higher you go up in frame rate, the more the 3470 matters. It's got decent single core performance. But with only 4 threads it will most likely fall behind in newer games. I would agree with the others in saying it's probably a good idea to to upgrade the CPU first. But if you had to choose I'd go 2060

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

16 minutes ago, Polariux said:

Hi!

What PSU do you have?

Also the ASUS VEGA seems to have some Problems with the Heatsink I've heard. Are there other Options? What's the Sapphire?? Power Color??

Doesn't AMD give you 3 Games with the VEGA? You might look if there are stores in your area participating in that.

3 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

It's actually 7% faster at 1440p than a Vega 56. While it is faster, it's also almost 17% more expensive judging from the prices that OP listed. Vega 56 is a better buy in this case.

Well, the Performance strongly depends on the games.

There are instances where the AMD Card rocks (Forza Horizon 4 for example), there are examples where the opposite is the case, wich usually is the case with lets say heavily nVidia influenced games like Metro...

In the end, I'd say both are equal and it doesn't really matter.

Something you shouldn't underestimate however is the "HBCC" Feature that AMD has implemented. Its an Intelligent (Tecture) caching that seems to work OKish, wich means that if games demand more than 8GiB VRAM (like it can be the case in some games for example some TOmb Raider ones), the Card doesn't crap itself, when the VRAM Demand is high...

Though it is to be seen how it will be in "the future" and if remains useful.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

2 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

There are instances where the AMD Card rocks (Forza Horizon 4 for example), there are examples where the opposite is the case, wich usually is the case with lets say heavily nVidia influenced games like Metro...

Something you shouldn't underestimate however is the "HBCC" Feature that AMD has implemented. Its an Intelligent (Tecture) caching that seems to work OKish, wich means that if games demand more than 8GiB VRAM (like it can be the case in some games for example some TOmb Raider ones), the Card doesn't crap itself, when the VRAM Demand is high...

I'm well aware of that, my 7% figure was taken out of a 36-game comparison made by Hardware Unboxed which seems like a pretty good general performance metric across multiple different titles:
KILxpmx.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Also was thinking on trying the vega 56 from asus but I've heard it's not good cooling the vram. Vega shines when you undervolt it, might get as good performance as the 2060, on top of that at least in europe is getting cheaper (350-400us) and you have freesync..

I would go Vega 56. It's cheaper and will offer similar performance for less. I just had and sold my Strix Vega 56 to another member here (they love it), and it never crashed on me. I forget what the thermals were but you can undervolt and overclock it for better performance. Great looking card too, I would buy one again. But do keep in mind some have worse thermal issues then others and my exact experience is just that, my experience. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

I would do a CPU upgrade first

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

If your motherboard supports it, I would overclock it to 4ghz as it's easy to do with the non-k model.

I was doing it with my i5-3470 before I jumped onto the Ryzen bandwagon back in 2017 as my ASRock board allowed me to overclock to the rated turbo boost.

To be honest, I'd start there and you'll probably get noticeably better performance, at least with your minimums.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

1 hour ago, Jon Jon said:

If your motherboard supports it, I would overclock it to 4ghz as it's easy to do with the non-k model.

I was doing it with my i5-3470 before I jumped onto the Ryzen bandwagon back in 2017 as my ASRock board allowed me to overclock to the rated turbo boost.

To be honest, I'd start there and you'll probably get noticeably better performance, at least with your minimums.

I have a msi b75ma-p45 mobo. Dont know if its possible to overclock with that. 

1 hour ago, Strike105X said:

@Stefan Payne pointed to one of the most important things, what is your PSU? Vega cards are pretty power hungry, its one of the three main reasons i avoided it this time upgrading my graphics card and went with a 2060, sure a vega might be cheaper but if you also have to change the psu things are different.

PS: not worth going from a 970 to a rx580, better just a cpu upgrade or a better gpu like 2060 or vega and a cpu later, but for you i feel like the rx580 would be a waste of money.

@Stefan Payne pointed to one of the most important things, what is your PSU? Vega cards are pretty power hungry, its one of the three main reasons i avoided it this time upgrading my graphics card and went with a 2060, sure a vega might be cheaper but if you also have to change the psu things are different.

PS: not worth going from a 970 to a rx580, better just a cpu upgrade or a better gpu like 2060 or vega and a cpu later, but for you i feel like the rx580 would be a waste of money.

Not 100% sure about the psu, but I think its 650w or 750w maybe. Bought it 2.5 years ago when I Bought The gtx 970

3 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

What PSU do you have?

Also the ASUS VEGA seems to have some Problems with the Heatsink I've heard. Are there other Options? What's the Sapphire?? Power Color??

Doesn't AMD give you 3 Games with the VEGA? You might look if there are stores in your area participating in that.

Well, the Performance strongly depends on the games.

I think my psu is 750w maybe 650w. Bought it 2,5 years ago so Im not interested in bying a new one if the Vega needs more power. 

These 2 cards are my options because they are discounted like around 75$. My other options would be more expensive. 

4 hours ago, Xkillerpn said:

Forget Asus, Sapphire is your way to go, best cars around for amd and for nvidia go with evga. also Vega 56 sapphire pulse is a very good card. 299£ here

The ASUS Vega 56 is like 75$ cheaper, and The ASUS rtx 2060 is discounted so its same price as a evga

vega 56 after UV+OC / bios flash sits between the 2070 and the 2060 in performance, leaning closer to the 2070 

1 hour ago, Polariux said:

I have a msi b75ma-p45 mobo. Dont know if its possible to overclock with that. 

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/b75ma-p45#down-manual

I would go through that for sure then.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

8 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

No, what i meant was more in the line that you need a decent 750w to run that mod.

No you don't. Did you look at the video? 

~500W under gaming load for the vega 56 modded, besides the GPU is limited to 375W (150W for each 8 pin connector, 75W for the pcie slot). The 9900K under a gaming load isn't at 100% so it takes up ~120W or so. 

The exact brand and model is important. If its 650w and not one of better ones you could find yourself underpowered for the vega.

EVGA supernova 750 G2