What are the best LP Air Coolers?

Mr.Muffins

So, the title says it all.

What are some of the best Low-Profile Air Cooler in terms of performance, looks, price and size.

How do they all stack up?

Which one do you think would be the KING of LP coolers?

Give me all the knowledge you have, I will take it! ?

"Perfection is not the end, it's the beginning." 

[First Build] [About Me]

the g100m is really good in looks, size and price

the performence is good enough to keep a 8600k cool, so i'm not complaining

Is the g100m really that good compare to others? (I mean that heatsink looks kind of small and weird compared to others.)

How about the Shadow Rock LP or the Cryorig C7? I would like to keep my build within the black and silver pattern. (White is okay)

I also want to have the lowest temps as possible since I'm not going liquid. Probably no higher than 70C. (If that's even possible)

[First Build] [About Me]

What is your cooler height limitation?

Bequiet Dark Rock Top Flow or Noctua NH-C14S, I think these 2 are the best down draft air coolers in terms of performance, unless someone else add some better alternatives I can't think of..

https://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/572

https://noctua.at/en/nh-c14s

Here you can see both coolers head to head each other between all the other coolers on a big list,

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7444/quiet-dark-rock-tf-top-flow-cpu-cooler-review/index6.html

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

2 hours ago, Mr.Muffins said:

I also want to have the lowest temps as possible since I'm not going liquid. Probably no higher than 70C. (If that's even possible)

Depends on how high is the CPU voltage when you overclocking it and the airflow provided by your case and fans setup. Also room ambient temperature.

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

I have a Cryorig C1 with a 140mm Noctua redux fan. In terms of bang for bucks it is not the best cooler, but it looks awesome.
WIth the upgraded fan it might actually be on par with the Shadow Rock LP. WIth the stock fan it is a little bit worse.

@_Hustler_One_ I think 140mm, but I would like it to be less than 70mm. Don't want it to be the main focus of the build.

I think the Dark Pro TF is to big for my case. (It looks so nice though ?)

@Pyramiden Nice! I like the redux fan actually, might considering getting one depending on the cooler I get.

[First Build] [About Me]

35 minutes ago, Mr.Muffins said:

@_Hustler_One_ I think 140mm, but I would like it to be less than 70mm. Don't want it to be the main focus of the build.

I think the Dark Pro TF is to big for my case. (It looks so nice though ?)

@Pyramiden Nice! I like the redux fan actually, might considering getting one depending on the cooler I get.

It is called the P-14R, and uses the mounting pattern of a 120mm fan, so it will only fit on heatsinks that use that pattern. If you have on that uses clips or something this model might not fit.

On 2/13/2019 at 10:16 AM, _Hustler_One_ said:

Bequiet Dark Rock Top Flow or Noctua NH-C14S, I think these 2 are the best down draft air coolers in terms of performance, unless someone else add some better alternatives I can't think of..

It's not exactly a better alternative but the Scythe Susanoo is a better performer.

On 2/13/2019 at 11:59 AM, Mr.Muffins said:

What cpu and case are you using?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

That Scythe cooler isnt low profile... It needs 160mm of clearance, and probably some more if you ha e a glass panel in your case... 

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply.

The case that I'm using is a MetallicGear Neo G Mini (This One). It has enough room for a bigger heatsink, but I prefer having the fan on top of the CPU than on the sides.

I've found one that looks good and will work with what I want to do. It's the NH-L12S (This One), and I'm planning on adding an extra ring RGB fan on top just for a little more airflow and of course, the aesthetics. ?

[First Build] [About Me]

12 hours ago, Mr.Muffins said:

The case that I'm using is a MetallicGear Neo G Mini (This One). It has enough room for a bigger heatsink, but I prefer having the fan on top of the CPU than on the sides.

I've found one that looks good and will work with what I want to do. It's the NH-L12S (This One), and I'm planning on adding an extra ring RGB fan on top just for a little more airflow and of course, the aesthetics. ?

160mm of clearance is plenty and you don't need a low profile cooler. What you're asking for is a downdraft cooler. 

As mentioned, the NH-C14S pr Dark Rock TF would probably be the best.

What cpu are you cooling? 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The NH-C14S would give you much better cooling and allow you to put one fan on top and one underneath. I think you can also repalce the top fan on the Dark Rock TF with a 120mm fan, but I'm not 100% sure.

@WoodenMarker

@Bearmann

Daaang, that Dark Rock looks sick! They definitely don't fit within with my budget... ?

I could consider the Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4 instead unless there's a way to get my price down enough to get the NH-C14S.

If you want to help with the build, here's the link:

[First Build] [About Me]

Hummmmm.....    I can't find any fat to trim in your system.

What about the bequiet Shadow Rock TF 2?

@Bearmann

It looks like that will cover the RGB from the RAM, in which case having RGB RAM will just go to waste. I think I'll stay with the NH-L12S for now. 

Again thanks for the reply, if you have any other suggestions please let me know. :)

[First Build] [About Me]

Have you considered just using the stock cooler and seeing how that performs first?

I'm probably going to stick with the Wraith Stealth stock cooler for now. I found out that the NH-L12S will block the view of my RGB RAM.

Will consider the NH-L9i, not the best at thermals but... man finding a really good low profile CPU cooler that does it all is hard!

[First Build] [About Me]

Depends on how low you want, Cryorigs C7 is among the best but it really depends on what you count as LP here

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

On 3/17/2019 at 7:53 AM, Mr.Muffins said:

I'm probably going to stick with the Wraith Stealth stock cooler for now. I found out that the NH-L12S will block the view of my RGB RAM.
Will consider the NH-L9i, not the best at thermals but... man finding a really good low profile CPU cooler that does it all is hard!

The NH-L9a isn't any better than the stock cooler. 

You don't need a low profile or downdraft cooler if you just want to see your ram. A slim or offset tower cooler could completely clear the ram. 

• 3 years later...

Guys, i Have horrible generic fan on i7 11700 noisy etc considering - better NH-L12S or Be quiet! Shadow Rock TF2 so same as most people in thread, my question would be also cooling of surrounding componets since transistors between cpu and outputs heats very much - up to 100 degress. (on photo i have currently installed bequiet pure rock 2 which keeps cpu pretty cool but does not blow at MB so it heats up)

Question would be which one to choose considering also this?

heat.jpg