That Time, is this Time [PC Build]

Hello Community!

UPDATEv3

Hey guys, I went to work today and notice this Thursday is payday,  I was happy and all since I though I was gonna get the chance to buy the computer this week, but it turns out that this won't be enough for my groceries list, so I'll have to wait yet another 2 weeks. But then again,  Black Friday and Christmas deals are around the corner, so I was wondering, how good can these deals be?

Black Friday vs Christmas 

______ ________ ______ ______ ______ _____ ______ ____ _____

Just wanted to say that I've been waiting to be a part of the PC Society for 4 years now, and what better way to start by building my first PC. When it comes to hardware, I only know bits of information on how to actually compare each other parts, so I apologize in advance if I ask some minor intellectual questions about this and that.

So on with the build...

(This is somewhat of a build I made: PcPartPicker)

-Place and Budget-

I live in Southern IL, and my current budget is $800

(I could stretch to $1000, only if its performance is worth those extra $200)

-Goal-

I'm currently on the go for a Workstation/Gaming computer, but more into the Rendering/3D modeling for programs such as Maya, Unreal Engine, Zbrush, After Effects, etc. I really don't mind about the monitors though, one 4K or one/two Full HDs will be fine. Have a keyboard, have a mouse, I'll upgrade those later when the time comes.

-More Info-

About this build, I really want to focus on performance here, I am thinking of overclocking it, but for that I need to study... hard.

So yes, I know about water coolers, but for my first build I'll stay out of it, I rather be safe than sorry. I7-K for its Hyper-Overly-Sugar Power! A GTX 970 to be at least "up to date" and let’s not forget its CUDA cores. 1TB HDD is enough for now, will need a better SSD.

And last but not least, the case; I want it simple, with a clean design and most importantly, space!

So that's about it, in case of color combination, black/red or blue will be nice, but just to keep the budget at its place, is not more important than others. Thanks, hope to hear from you guys soon.

"Perfection is not the end, it's the beginning." 

[First Build] [About Me]

Seems like a pretty solid build :)

EDIT: you could probably go with a R9 390 which is roughly the same price and more powerful :P

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

Hello Community

You should probably go skylake to prep for USB 3.1, if you want to get the price down grab a 380 over the 390

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/krhyMp

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/krhyMp/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($329.99 @ Newegg)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($28.59 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: Asus H170M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($103.75 @ OutletPC)

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($49.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($51.00 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 390 8GB SOC Video Card  ($319.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.98 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Rosewill HIVE 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($75.53 @ Amazon)

Total: $988.82

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-08 23:54 EST-0500

-

-

Although if you're serious about the 3D stuff, you'll want a workstation GPU, the Firepro W7100 is reasonably affordable at about $600

maya seems to be growing it's support for opencl as well

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/06/11/amd-and-autodesk-speed-up-maya-with-opencl/

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Hello Community!

Just wanted to say that I've been waiting to be a part of the PC Society for 4 years now, and what better way to start by building my first PC. When it comes to hardware, I only know bits of information on how to actually compare each other parts, so I apologize in advance if I ask some minor intellectual questions about this and that.

So on with the build...

(This is somewhat of a build I made: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TVJvMp)

-Place and Budget-

I live in Southern IL, and my current budget is $800

(I could stretch to $1000, only if its performance is worth those extra $200)

-Goal-

I'm currently on the go for a Workstation/Gaming computer, but more into the Rendering/3D modeling for programs such as Maya, Unreal Engine, Zbrush, After Effects, etc. I really don't mind about the monitors though, one 4K or one/two Full HDs will be fine. Have a keyboard, have a mouse, I'll upgrade those later when the time comes.

-More Info-

About this build, I really want to focus on performance here, I am thinking of overclocking it, but for that I need to study... hard.

So yes, I know about water coolers, but for my first build I'll stay out of it, I rather be safe than sorry. I7-K for its Hyper-Overly-Sugar Power! A GTX 970 to be at least "up to date" and let’s not forget its CUDA cores. 1TB HDD is enough for now, will need a better SSD.

And last but not least, the case; I want it simple, with a clean design and most importantly, space!

So that's about it, in case of color combination, black/red or blue will be nice, but just to keep the budget at its place, is not more important than others. Thanks, hope to hear from you guys soon.

Good build get a better SSD and cooler. That 17$ won't oc a 4790K over .1Gz

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

A few things I would change in that list. Don't get the V300 SSD, Don't get that RAM, and Dont get that cooler.

Here is what I would get.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($314.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($102.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($70.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($44.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card  ($296.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1032.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-09 00:00 EST-0500

My new Gaming PC.

Spoiler

Case: Coolmaster CM690III, Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR, CPU: I5 6600K 4.6Ghz, OS: Windows 10 HP 64 bit, RAM: X1 8GB G.Skill DDR4, GPU: Galax GTX 960 (Overclocked), Storage: Kingston V300 SSD 120GB(OS), X2 1TB 5400RPM HDD, 500GB Samsung 7200RPM HD, PSU: Cougar RS 750 Watt, Peripherals: Logitech G910 Orion Spark,  World Of Tanks Edition 2014 DeathAdder Razer Mouse And Mouse Pad, Sennheiser HD 518. , Palsonic tftv6042fHD, Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers

Wow, this forum is one of the best ones I've been in.

@Nonco

Thanks for the tip, I preferred to stay with the GTX since my whole choice of applications will have CUDA advantage on them, but I will consider it ;)

@Streetguru

Nice build, I'll save it just in case, I'm still a little bit doubtful on the skylakes though. How much +% performance?

@GDRRiley 

Updated, thanks. Wasn't sure about that SSD either, but the price tough, it just doesn't like to go down huh?

@Mcmole

Updated. Actually I didn't want to change the RAM cause of its clean design, but the frequency for the price was a good find. Oh and that Sandisk SSD is having a lot of bad DOA reviews.

[First Build] [About Me]

@Mcmole

Updated. Actually I didn't want to change the RAM cause of its clean design, but the frequency for the price was a good find. Oh and that Sandisk SSD is having a lot of bad DOA reviews.

You never want to buy un-known brands of ram. Trust me it will not go down well.

As for the SSD I have personal experience with the Kingston, it does the job just not at the speeds it was advertised at. If you possibly can get the Samsung 850 Evo.

I don't have experience with that specific SandDisk SSD, i just trust the brand, but hey, Just find a SSD in your price-range from a reputable maker and go for it. Just don't get the SV300:P

After looking at the builds above Streetguru's  Is nice but it lacks a SSD and only has 8 gig ram. And since you stated that you wanted to do some audio/video editing the lack of ram and SSD will slow you down. However the Skylake chips and DDR4 will help with that function of the PC and improve performance... Maybe a mixture of both Streetguru's build and my own would suit you best...something like this?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($314.99 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($19.98 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($106.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($77.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($44.89 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card  ($309.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Micro Center)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $984.80

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-09 01:19 EST-0500

I'll leave the SSD to your choice...

My new Gaming PC.

Spoiler

Case: Coolmaster CM690III, Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR, CPU: I5 6600K 4.6Ghz, OS: Windows 10 HP 64 bit, RAM: X1 8GB G.Skill DDR4, GPU: Galax GTX 960 (Overclocked), Storage: Kingston V300 SSD 120GB(OS), X2 1TB 5400RPM HDD, 500GB Samsung 7200RPM HD, PSU: Cougar RS 750 Watt, Peripherals: Logitech G910 Orion Spark,  World Of Tanks Edition 2014 DeathAdder Razer Mouse And Mouse Pad, Sennheiser HD 518. , Palsonic tftv6042fHD, Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers

@Streetguru

Nice build, I'll save it just in case, I'm still a little bit doubtful on the skylakes though. How much +% performance?

Performance wise it wouldn't be as fast as an unlocked haswell i7, but you get the updated platform that has USB 3.1 for whenever a lot more that stuff comes out, which will give you much higher speeds on any USB archive storage solutions or USB 3.1 Flash Drives, as well as a potential upgrade path in the future, not that you'd really have to upgrade your set up for a while with either system

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

@Nonco

Thanks for the tip, I preferred to stay with the GTX since my whole choice of applications will have CUDA advantage on them, but I will consider it ;)

@Streetguru

@GDRRiley 

Updated, thanks. Wasn't sure about that SSD either, but the price tough, it just doesn't like to go down huh?

@Mcmole

Ah yep if you want the CUDA usage then go for nvidia <3

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

Quick question, if I re-edit my posts, does it let other users see that I changed or made updates with it? Or do I have to actually make another comment on it?

[First Build] [About Me]