what computer you own is your favorite?

Ashleyyyy

if you own multiple pc's (and laptops), which one is your favorite? and why? 

mine is my mid-2012 13" MacBook Pro. 

i love it because of the formfactor, and the reliability. by reliability i mean that it's not running Windows so it doesn't do Windows things that try to ruin my life xD. also it still works flawlessly after 6 years (mine was made in 2013 afaik) which is kinda impressive IMO.  

the specs of it are: 

I5 3210M

16GB DDR3

1TB SSD

Intel HD 4000

as you can see i have upgraded it further than most people would upgrade a system this age, but that's because i do all of my schoolwork on it, and i can easily use more than 8GB of ram when using it. 

the massive SSD is very useful because it is dual-booted with Linux, so being able to allocate 250GB to Linux is very nice. 

the only issue with it is the dual-core cpu. it really struggles with running VM's, but i solved that by just dual-booting, removing the need for a VM for certain programs. not ideal but it's fine. 

She/Her

If I had to get rid of all my computers and only use one I guess it would probably be my Razer Blade 14. It's not the newest or fastest but it's definitely one I enjoy using the most, and strikes the best balance of power/portability. Plus I think it's a REALLY nice looking machine.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

My current desktop.  First PC I built.

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 3 2200G
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte - B450 AORUS PRO WIFI
  • RAM
    G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
  • GPU
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
  • Case
    Fractal Design Focus G
  • Storage
    120 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD HDD
  • PSU
    Cooler Master - Master Watt 550 W Semi-modular
  • Display(s)
    Acer 27" XF270H
  • Cooling
    Stock AMD Cooler
  • Keyboard
    Red Dragon K580 VATA RGB
  • Mouse
    Black Web Grim
  • Sound
    Creative A250 2.1 Speakers
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Post Cable Management.jpg

Probably my main as it's kinda nostalgic and gives me a warm feeling :P

It desperately needs an update tho which will result in an all new build as it's rather dated.

I like my HTPC because it's pure power. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

6 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

if you own multiple pc's (and laptops), which one is your favorite? and why? 

mine is my mid-2012 13" MacBook Pro. 

i love it because of the formfactor, and the reliability. by reliability i mean that it's not running Windows so it doesn't do Windows things that try to ruin my life xD. also it still works flawlessly after 6 years (mine was made in 2013 afaik) which is kinda impressive IMO.  

the specs of it are: 

I5 3210M

16GB DDR3

1TB SSD

Intel HD 4000

as you can see i have upgraded it further than most people would upgrade a system this age, but that's because i do all of my schoolwork on it, and i can easily use more than 8GB of ram when using it. 

the massive SSD is very useful because it is dual-booted with Linux, so being able to allocate 250GB to Linux is very nice. 

the only issue with it is the dual-core cpu. it really struggles with running VM's, but i solved that by just dual-booting, removing the need for a VM for certain programs. not ideal but it's fine. 

Heyo I've finally met someone with a love for 2012 MBP's. I love all the ports it has. No need for dongles. Mine stil runs great and has almost the same spec as yours but only 8gb of ram. I haven't been able to figure out how to dual boot Linux on it, though. 

"Kieran just stole my girl!" - No-one

Discord: Kdog#7258

I like my current 8600k+1070 build. 1070 is fine for 100fps 1440p on medium settings, and 8600k is a god at 1t and 4t perf (esp. at 5ghz+)

1 minute ago, Kdog said:

Heyo I've finally met someone with a love for 2012 MBP's. I love all the ports it has. No need for dongles. Mine stil runs great and has almost the same spec as yours but only 8gb of ram. 

yea the I/O on these is great :) 

1 minute ago, Kdog said:

I haven't been able to figure out how to dual boot Linux on it, though. 

i could tell you but it has some serious issues on Linux. for one the fan doesn't ramp up when it gets hot so it gets to 90 degrees and then throttles down, and the wifi is crap out of the box. 

the temperature issue can be fixed by installing a program and setting a custom fan curve, but that requires the terminal (extensively) and knowledge of configuration files to set it up. 

the wifi can be fixed by installing the proprietary drivers for the wifi card. 

She/Her

Current build is my literal dream machine, wouldn't give it up for the world

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

I like my current 8600k+1070 build. 1070 is fine for 100fps 1440p on medium settings, and 8600k is a god at 1t and 4t perf (esp. at 5ghz+)

yea the 8700k is a beast. i would love to have one to mess around with but i don't need it. i barely play games (played a total of 30 minutes of games this past month) so yea... 

She/Her

My HP ProLiant N40L Microserver.

https://www.amazon.com/658553-001-ProLiant-Server-System-Turion/dp/B005KKJPCO

Of all the systems I've owned over the years, this one was the most fun I've had upgrading and playing with.

Yeah, it's hideously obsolete for gaming, but it has simply been fun to own.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Yeah, it's hideously obsolete for gaming, but it has simply been fun to own.

it doesn't have to game though... it's a server after all. 

She/Her

My 570$ 2012 Probook 6470b for its reliability.

A bit chunky, but utilitywise it is simply unbeatable. 

120GB SSD upgrade an 4GB Ramupgrade in 2017. Still chugs on today after surviving multiple drops.

My main PC, because it's my only PC.

I'd like to have my old, boxy gray/black window XP laptop back. 

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

but utilitywise it is simply unbeatable.

what do you mean by that? 

She/Her

30 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

what do you mean by that? 

Ports, expansion, upgradibility and featureset.

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Ports, expansion, upgradibility and featureset.

well.. one could argue that EliteBooks would be better. better specs etc. i googled that probook and it's a low spec unit even for the time with a core i3... 

She/Her

My pick has gotta be Zeus aka my XP rig. How can you say no to that mobo, after all.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

8 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

My pick has gotta be Zeus aka my XP rig. How can you say no to that mobo, after all.

a dual socket pentium 3 machine? holy hell that is cool!!!

She/Her

8 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

well.. one could argue that EliteBooks would be better. better specs etc. i googled that probook and it's a low spec unit even for the time with a core i3... 

Its a core i5 model.......

Great googling......

Also its a lot cheaper than an elitebook.

5 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Its a core i5 model.......

Great googling......

Also its a lot cheaper than an elitebook.

fair enough. i only found i3's. 

15 hours ago, fasauceome said:

Current build is my literal dream machine, wouldn't give it up for the world

yea that is a beast of a machine. damn... 

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

fair enough. i only found i3's. 

same CPU as in the more expencive Macbook while being not thermally restricted at all with plenty thermal headroom. easily swappable parts and CPU if wanted. and a fingerprint reader. because why not. 

definitvly the better buy at the time. 

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

same CPU as in the more expencive Macbook while being not thermally restricted at all with plenty thermal headroom. easily swappable parts and CPU if wanted. and a fingerprint reader. because why not. 

definitvly the better buy at the time. 

so the 3210M then? the one in my MacBook isn't thermally restricted. it boosts to the expected 2.9 - 3.1ghz turbo. 

it does get insanely hot if i load it up near 100%, but i installed an app that allows me to set a custom fan curve, and now it's fine. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

so the 3210M then? the one in my MacBook isn't thermally restricted. it boosts to the expected 2.9 - 3.1ghz turbo. 

it does get insanely hot if i load it up near 100%, but i installed an app that allows me to set a custom fan curve, and now it's fine. 

i do full load including iGPU if neccesary and it still boosts to the 2,9 ghz allcore boost. 

no need for custom fancurve. stays relativly chilly under full load

Just now, GoldenLag said:

i do full load including iGPU if neccesary and it still boosts to the 2,9 ghz allcore boost. 

no need for custom fancurve. stays relativly chilly under full load

well i don't 'need' a custom fancurve, but it's more for peace of mind. temps int he high 80's are a little too high for me. 

She/Her