650W vs 1000W

Nanda Velugoti

I am getting a cheaper deal on 1000W than a 650W 80+ Gold Certified PSU in India. Should I go with the 1000W?

Is there any other alternative?

Capture.PNG

There is nothing bad in getting a higher power unit, only benefits. 

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

6 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

There is nothing bad in getting a higher power unit, only benefits. 

Except for the higher OPP tripping point, since the RMx lacks multi rail. So potentially more dangerous, in case of a catastrophic failure. 

There can also be a higher inrush current, since the caps are larger. 

:)

What system are you running that needs 1000w? 1000w is waay too much. Unless you're running CPU that has high TDP and high end GPUs..

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Except for the higher OPP tripping point, since the RMx lacks multi rail. So potentially more dangerous, in case of a catastrophic failure. 

There can also be a higher inrush current, since the caps are larger. 

You certainly are a certified cat.

Anyways i thought more about that: 1) The 1000w unit is sold by amazon not some rando. 2) Better 0db fan curve 3)Better efficiency at load 4)more ports on the back 5)Better upgradeability 6)free delivery

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

4 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Better upgradeability

For the purposes of a regular PC, these power supplies have effectively the exact same upgradeability, unless quad SLI makes one hell of a comeback.

Also, 1000W = 350W more of bragging rights.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Whichever is cheaper, obviously.

I only have a 750w unit in my rig because it was on sale. Most rigs need PSUs under 500w. It's price that should win out over Max wattage.

There's no way in current condition that you will need a 1000 watt psu, unless you would fill all 4 PCIe slot with 2080.

BUUUT, getting lower power psu usually for cost consideration.

IF 1000watt psu is the same price as 650watt, i say just get it.

For the amount of watt it will use, comparatively the same, it will output the amount of what the system's demanded.

If all the same (components, heatsink, fans, casing) there's no benefit.

Pretty logical for the price drop as nobody wants 1000 watt psu right now, the only market it has was miners, and now miners are gone.

But wait, i think i see the difference, the 1000watt has more ports, thats a deal for me (although i won't use it).

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

7 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

You certainly are a certified cat.

Anyways i thought more about that: 1) The 1000w unit is sold by amazon not some rando. 2) Better 0db fan curve 3)Better efficiency at load 4)more ports on the back 5)Better upgradeability 6)free delivery

All wrong.

Because the difference in Efficiency is negligable with more modern Designs. 

The semi-fanless stuff is based on Temperature, NOT load.

Better efficiency depends on the Curve and you also loose Efficiency at lower loads as well.

Better Upgradability is not entirely true either...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

17 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

The semi-fanless stuff is based on Temperature, NOT load.

Correction:  The fan controller uses load AND temperature.  The OP AMPs used to measure current for OCP also reports back to the fan controller.  The reason an MCU is used instead of a standard thermistor fan controller is because there's a rather complex algorithm programmed into it to tell the fan when to spin and how fast it should spin.

1000 all the way. 750 is petty, I do have one as a coaster though. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz