Did I get a good deal?

Gino Motyka

Hello Everyone, Long time reader but first time poster. 

So a few weeks ago I was at a company estate sale. It was at an abandoned house and they had bought items from other sales they had that did not sale all to this one location. In the very basement in the back corner of this room where there christmas decorations I found a Computer tower box with $50 marked on it. Not expecting much I opened it up and looked through the top vent hole and saw a CPU cooler. intrigued I opened it up and saw two crossfired cards and DDR3 memory sticks. I made an offer of $20 knowing they would come back with a counter offer and ended up buying it for $35 all together. 

This is what I got: 

AMD FX Phenom ii Black edition (Not sure the number) 

16 gig of DDR3 samsung Ram

2 MSI twin foil ii 6950's in cross fire

ASRock 990fx extreme 4

HAF Case

I call it the "Micro Center Special" there was no cable management done, and not a speck of dust anywhere. Im guessing it was never used or hardly used.

Did I get a good deal for all that for only $35? 

1 minute ago, Gino Motyka said:

So a few weeks ago I was at a company estate sale. It was at an abandoned house and they had bought items from other sales they had that did not sale all to this one location. In the very basement in the back corner of this room where there christmas decorations I found a Computer tower box with $50 marked on it. Not expecting much I opened it up and looked through the top vent hole and saw a CPU cooler. intrigued I opened it up and saw two crossfired cards and DDR3 memory sticks. I made an offer of $20 knowing they would come back with a counter offer and ended up buying it for $35 all together. 

This is what I got: 

ASRock 990fx extreme 4

HAF Case

I call it the "Micro Center Special" there was no cable management done, and not a speck of dust anywhere. Im guessing it was never used or hardly used.

yea the stuff might be old but for 35 dollars thats a good deal

Even the ram alone was a good deal for that price, awesome score. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Earnist_ said:

yea the stuff might be old but for 35 dollars thats a good deal

That's what I was thinking its not the most new and i'm okay with that. I have spare hard drives I was looking at making a spare room computer my nephew can play on and not touch my main one 

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

It's definitely not a bad deal.

I'd imagine it would still fare quite well at 1080p.

Call of duty black ops 3 at all max'd settings 

They had another but it was DDR2 ram so I avoided it, If this was a private garage sale I would of told the person they should be asking more but I didn't feel bad with it being a company. I never try and rip someone off 

2 minutes ago, Gino Motyka said:

Call of duty black ops 3 at all max'd settings 

Doesn't the call of duty franchise scale pretty well with multi GPU? Not bad.

Also, I hope that CPU is the x6 1100T, that's the best phenom CPU there was. Would make it an even better score.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Doesn't the call of duty franchise scale pretty well with multi GPU? Not bad.

Also, I hope that CPU is the x6 1100T, that's the best phenom CPU there was. Would make it an even better score.

Sadly it was not the 6 core, it was the quad core. I always had a sweet spot for the Phenom ii's. my first computer I ever owned was AMD. 

17 minutes ago, Gino Motyka said:

This is what I got: 

ASRock 990fx extreme 4

HAF Case

That's a damn good deal. That was a pretty high end system at one point, 16 gigs of DDR3 back when everyone used to do 8 gigs. That HAF case is my favorite case of all time, my dream has always been to build a high end system in the large section and add several HAF stack modules to the case to house watercooling components or server hardware like so many YTbers used to do some years ago.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

26 minutes ago, Gino Motyka said:

This is what I got: 

ASRock 990fx extreme 4

HAF Case

16GB of DDR3 is worth $40 by itself right now. Instant victory.

HAF cases are very desirable on the second hand market. Another win.

The 6950s are still decent cards, especially crossfired. You are limited to DirectX 11, IIRC, so that limits resale value somewhat. I'd consider offloading the pair ASAP for about $40 each and picking up an RX 570 instead.

The mobo is a solid AM3+ board, and those aren't easy to come by. Points to you.

Once you know the CPU's exact model, search it online. Some of those Phenom II quads could be unlocked to hexa-cores in BIOS.

You got a very good deal. I'm extremely jealous.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

16GB of DDR3 is worth $40 by itself right now. Instant victory.

HAF cases are very desirable on the second hand market. Another win.

The 6950s are still decent cards, especially crossfired. You are limited to DirectX 11, IIRC, so that limits resale value somewhat. I'd consider offloading the pair ASAP for about $40 each and picking up an RX 570 instead.

The mobo is a solid AM3+ board, and those aren't easy to come by. Points to you.

Once you know the CPU's exact model, search it online. Some of those Phenom II quads could be unlocked to hexa-cores in BIOS.

You got a very good deal. I'm extremely jealous.

:D thank you! I actually went there to look at Kitchen Dishes ... I left without the Dishes though :(