Why tech is dead

oldSock
Message added by WkdPaul

Please note that this thread will be monitored, but moderators aren't here to take care of misunderstanding and misconceptions, we moderate what is outlined in the CS, so until people are antagonizing, or being aggressive or disrespectful, we're not going to be intervene.

Also, keep the Community Standards in mind when interacting with others : stay respectful.

5 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

That is a peasant level gaming PC. 

How? how do you define peasant?

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

25 minutes ago, oldSock said:

Who can really afford to buy a brand new i9 system in 2019? The other more important question is. "Do i need it?" 

No.

Most games run fine on an i5 or i3

Please mark as helpful and informative so my profile looks better.

quote or reply to me if you want me to reply to you.

Thanks

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Yes and 2000$ is really high end.

Wages have gone up.

Research cost has gone up 

And tech in general is better for everyone. Budget things are better than ever and in case of phones. Sort of better than their flagship. 

The highest of highest end has probably gone up in price, because its the bleeding edge akd the market demans these products. 

Wages in general are stagnant since 2009, and actually went down from 2004 to 2008.

4 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

60hz is for peasants at this point.

A high end system would be running games at 4k ~100hz. 

You can do that on a 300$ used PC......

Or a 500$ new builds. 

By that i mean 4k titles from 2007. Visuals have gone up. You should know this

11 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

A high end system today costs 1500-2200$ ( then to infinity)

Did you account for inflation? Cuz prices really havent changes all that much

I have the impression that you can get a lot better quality at budget prices nowadays 

Just now, KarathKasun said:

Wages in general are stagnant since 2009.

And developments costs have skyrocketed.

Just because wages in the US havent gone up. Doesnt mean they have stopped elsewhere

The market demans the bleeding edge. And the the bleeding edge costs

2 minutes ago, NeuesTestament said:

I have the impression that you can get a lot better quality at budget prices nowadays 

Budget GPUs are great these days

9 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

That's still a mid range system if you ask me, just 8GB memory, DRAMless SSD, 1080p 60Hz TN panel monitor and a off-brand keyboard and mouse package.

Better? Still wayyyyy under the price point

7 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

60hz is for peasants at this point.

A high end system would be running games at 4k ~100hz. 

Uhh, I’m sorry but what? So you’re saying I’m a peasant because I play 1080p 60fps? I don’t see how anything under 4K 100fps is “peasant” level, I say anything max settings 1440p 100+ FPS is high end, peasant is low, 720p, and FPS less than 30, but a 1070ti and 2600 will get way more then 30 on 720p low, I feel like you got your information from an unreliable source

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

4 minutes ago, NeuesTestament said:

Also not true comparing to older generations.

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

And developments costs have skyrocketed.

Just because wages in the US havent gone up. Doesnt mean they have stopped elsewhere

The market demans the bleeding edge. And the the bleeding edge costs

Globally we haven't moved much.  China is the largest outlier in the 1975-2016 timeframe, where they moved to roughly $10 a day from $1 a day.

Which means that they are not the market for lots of the high end gear.

8 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

How? how do you define peasant?

My definition of peasant is the crappy laptop with an A10 in it and integrated graphics. I think if you have anything midrange and up your fine. Even low end is fine in a lot of cases.

12 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

Uhm, could you explain how? I’m pretty sure it can run most, if not all games max settings 60fps, a peasant level is just a 2200g and no gpu or a 200ge

sheer compute performance doesnt mean it's a good gaming rig. I see there's a 2600 (Ryzen, not Intel Sandy Bridge) with 1070ti, but that alone doesnt make it good. It's not a rendering machine that rarely gets human attention

4 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

Better? Still wayyyyy under the price point

even after fixing all the problems dragging your list behind, with new CPUs and GPUs coming it will soon drop below "high end PC" status in a few months anyway

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, Docretier said:

My definition of peasant is the crappy laptop with an A10 in it and integrated graphics. I think if you have anything midrange and up your fine. 

Exactly..and he just said 2600+1070Ti build is for peasant just because it has 60Hz display..

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

Just now, GoldenLag said:

Peasant PC gaming is great these days.

And those who call ikke peasant level are elitists

Peasant level gaming has always been pretty good, otherwise the games would not sell.  Does not change the fact that you can get more with more money.

The market has been stretched because people buy based on "feeling good" about what they buy, and are willing to fork over a truckload of money to get the "best".

3 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Also not true comparing to older generations.

Globally we haven't moved much.  China is the largest outlier in the 1975-2016 timeframe, where they moved to roughly $10 a day from $1 a day.

Which means that they are not the market for lots of the high end gear.

That is why in China they sell a lot of athlons and fx series. Aswell as gaming cafe's being popular

2 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Does not change the fact that you can get more with more money.

Indeed you can. 

3 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

The market has been stretched because people buy based on "feeling good" about what they buy, and are willing to fork over a truckload of money to get the "best".

So you are complaining over a first world problem. Got it. 

People buy what they they have a capacity to buy. Not for what minimum money they can get X performance

42 minutes ago, oldSock said:

Who can really afford to buy a brand new i9 system in 2019?

I do.

The other more important question is. "Do i need it?"

Need and want are different things, if you can afford the luxury and that's your hobby why not?

Truth is i don't, i don't do online streaming, video processing, and isn't into photography or anything like that. What i really need is something i can use.

Then don't buy an i9 9900K, buy a Ryzen 5 2600 and be happy with it?

. Our local PC store had a new 2019 booklet so i figured i will be brave and take a look. Well the most inexpensive system they have starts at $400.00 US "rounded number" For that one gets a last gen i3 4Gb of ram and everything else is onboard.

It still shocks you that pre-builds are bad value?

So for 2019 i will be turning my back on computers. No more 5 year old laptop, no more 10 year old desktop PC. Both outdated both still running. Yes i am actually very good at keeping old stuff going.

Nobody cares? You use what you want to use and that's it.

But i figured, my PS4 does a good job playing games. My phone does a good job at word processing and other office stuff like email and the like. So i got myself a second hand Samsung Tab E 9.6.

If you're satisfied with these devices and you don't feel the need for a PC then don't get a PC, I game on my PC so I don't feel the need for a console so I just don't get one.

The upside of this change is, everything is mobile and everything uses mobile network and has Wireless. My keyboard and mouse is compatible and works well with both my phone and Tablet.

A lot of stuff is wired and a lot of stuff is still better being wired, mobility is not the strong suit of a PC though and that's something every one knows so also shouldn't come to you as a surprise.

So why is this important? Why read this at all? Here is the thing. Intel, Nvida and AMD lost the plot. For a long time now i have been screaming "Why are things so expensive". Now I don't care anymore

AMD, nVidia and Intel are multi-billion dollars companies, what exactly did they lost? Why do you think any one should care that you don't care? you're an "ant" among another 7 billion people in the world where a great number still own and uses a PC.

Here are people with GOOD jobs earning GOOD money simply stating; "i am done with computers" People stating that they are literally in the market for a good second hand car, rather then spending a dime on computer equipment. People are literally using their "PC budget buying GOLD by the physical OUNCE! 

This is a "hear say" with zero credibility.

So is tech dead? Yes and it was the PC manufacturers that killed it.

This is probably the most ludicrous statement on the entire OP, Technology is part of the world, every tool every thing we as humans use to improve our life is technology and to develop it there are costs we afford simply because that's how the world works.

Once your product start to compete with actual gold prices, surly there had to be some warning. Last time i check the gold price is  $1,224.50 US Per Ounce. It might have changed already so please google it yourself.

And many will argue that Gold is actually worthless, just a piece of metal with no use and no reason to cost what it cost... that it's purpose is limited to it's usage in "tech" in the first place.

Now ask yourself: What is your GPU worth right now? What did you pay for it? Depending on model, age and overall market desirability, you may find that your investment is worth a lot less. Gold on the other hand is reasonably stable investment wise.

Who the hell buys a GPU as an investment? Do you buy your Fridge or Oven thinking on it as an investment that you expect "profits" on the long run when you re-sell the used eletronic? Like what the hell is your line of thought? And What is this fixation with Gold? if you want to buy it and stare at it fine I still rather be playing games lol.

So nothing i wrote here is new, i am reasonably sure i wrote this before... The new part is, it doesn't bother me anymore.

It sure has comic value all that you wrote, if it doesn't bother you though why did you just make a huge text of wall?

Owning the newest laptop isn't all that wonderful, buying a new phone isn't really a priority. Doing water cooling on everything isn't really a good idea anymore. In short spending money on tech in general isn't what it once was.

If it isn't then don't buy a laptop, people shouldn't be replacing their phones every year in the first place and water cooling is dumb always favor air coolers. Spending money at any thing won't be the same it was years a go, products improve, costs change, inflation happens again this is how life works.

o what are we witnessing? Simple truth? A disconnect...

In Truth the only disconnection with reality in here is yours.

I love the idea of pure sound and 4k or even 8k video. The idea of running a super tripped out i9 IS something i would love to do. Still it is not just a question of "can i afford it" it is a question of "can i use it".

That's kind the purpose of life, you study then you work, so you can afford the great stuff there is on the world that also costed money to be made... a product becomes "pointless" because you can't afford it? A lot of people can and every one wants it or something like it.

Another big reality shock to you, that's how the market works.

Truth is, there will probably be enough customers for Intel, Nvida and AMD. But for the average consumer, other aspects will take priority. Like investment, financial planning and so on and so forth.

You can have much more performance today for the same price-point once you take into account inflation and other natural price increases that happen through the years, nowadays you can play 1080p max settings all the latest AAA with mid range hardware what was not the reality years ago when you'd need a GTX 780 Ti for the privilege.

I haven't seen people spending crazy money yet...

You ain't God to see it all that happens in the world.

Now i repair old systems and keep them going. Truth is, more and more people are making a choice to use their old stuff. And yes there are people that CAN afford new top of the line stuff...

Good for you? It has been a long time hobby making the most out of old stuff so I don't see that as any thing special or "justification" to any thing.

Sorry 2019, looks like you will be stuck with yesteryear's tech after all...

You're salty mate, don't worry you'll find a job that allows you to enjoy more what is there to enjoy in life eventually.

-

The TL:DR is just one massive QQ.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

with new CPUs and GPUs coming it will soon drop below "high end PC" status in a few months anyway

Okay you lost me now, so whenever a new card or cpu comes out the previous generation becomes low end? 

3 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

You want to play games but tech is too expensive? Ryzen 2200G is $100, the mobo is $70, 8GB RAM is $60 and a PSU is $30. That's expensive?

Even if you can’t afford that, you could easily pick up a 200GE for $50, and you can get a motherboard for about $50 as well

edit: nevermind, the B450 AM4 motherboards are $60

5 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

Okay you lost me now, so whenever a new card or cpu comes out the previous generation becomes low end? 

The performance might increase with a new hardware regardless whether its going to be massive or negligible but the point is..the value of the previous hardware often decrease with every new launch..but i don't think they will became low end right of the bat..nope....not in a long run.

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Tech isn't expensive in most cases, it's just that when you're going for ridiculous refresh and framerates you're going to need high-end hardware in most cases.

You will do just fine with a Ryzen 3, a RX 570 and 8GB of RAM in 2019, just that for 144hz or for anything higher than 1440p you're going to want to upgrade.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

4 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

nevermind, the B450 AM4 motherboards are $60

Athlon works with every AM4 mobo irrc

10 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

The only reason you don't think of it in this way is because you likely didn't live through 100% performance gains generation to generation.

Which is why the new pricing of parts does not make sense outside of those in the rat race chasing 30% performance upgrades.

Intel CPUs and NV GPU's in general are good examples of price going up for a specific market segment.  $999 and $500 used to be the very top of the market, and it was like that for a very long time.  Now prices are up for no other reason than people are willing to spend the cash.  Intel margins before Ryzen were proof of this.  NV margins are proof of this.

The whole market has moved from being based around reasonable margins (small market, mediocre demand) to being based around extraordinary margins (large market high demand).  If/when demand goes down, prices will follow, and that is when tech can be officially deemed to be dormant or niche again.

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Athlon works with every AM4 mobo irrc

I think it does, but B450 would be the best bet because it allows for a clear upgrade path without having to buy a new board or go through updating your BIOS