What Got You Interested In Tech?

Jogostar

I don't really have the time to write out my story but I (at age 12) went from this

white-xbox-360-full.jpg

to this

886706229_474685323_o.jpg

because of this

Minecraft-screen-shot-009.jpg

You bought a PC to play console minecraft?

I'd have to say that was thanks to my dad, He always had that stuff around then at the age of like 8, him and I built a new (old) computer, it was top of the line then, awesome experience with him because honestly he isn't the dream dad, but that was what got me into everything about computers and general tech related stuff

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

My first PC was like a 5cm thick laptop probably from the last century. Me and my sis then got a lot thinner laptop, that could play ZOO Tycoon, our favorite game at the time really nicely. Maybe around the year 2005 I got my first desktop, but after approximately 3 years the Geforce 6200 in there fried and so I got a pretty beast rig for 2008, with a dualcore Athlon64, 3GB of RAM and a Geforce 9600GT. It served me very well until the autumn of 2011, when Battlefield 3 launched, and that game just destroyed my system, and so I spent a full year of research on computers, because I was determined to build my very first own gaming beast. I was quite lucky, because as I was a successful high school student, my parents didn't have a problem with providing resources for my little project, and for 2012 Christmas they got me my current GTX660, and a few months later, the last spring, I was very happy to plug it into my brand new rig, which you can see in my sig, which I build myself with a friend. That summer I also joined the forum and for the past half year I learned a ton of new stuff and feel like a competent techie.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

Here's my transition:

Playstation(not playstation one) > Playstation 2 > PC(discovers glorious internet) > xbox360(for exclusive titles) > Wii(appears in living room randomly) > builds 2nd rig(glorious day)

I blame the internet for my growing attraction to tech. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I randomly chose to study Software Development at college, because they said we got to program robots...
And now I'm at university studying Computer Science :L

The first time I used technology was when I played the original Tomb Raider on the PlayStation One all the way back in 1998... After that my parents got us a PS2. My cousin came round one day with his GameBoy Colour and a copy of Pokémon Red. He never got to play it while he stayed over because I'd always be hooked on it :P I got my first PC (prefab, yes I know but it was windows 99) and I remember playing some small minigames on that. After that I had an iMac, which I still own but is incredibly slow - it's a 2005 model. I got a PS3 after that and that really got me into gaming.

Through that time I was always interested in how computers worked, how they can make your life easier. I often helped friends with any problems they had with their PC, but my knowledge was limited to basic Windows navigation, settings and using MS Office (still more than they knew though :P)

It wasn't until I got my MacBook in 2011 (which I currently use) and had it for two years that I realised it doesn't do what I want it to, so I decided I needed to build myself a windows PC. In the last 6 months I discovered Linus Tech Tips on YouTube, and that is basically the reason why I love technology even more now. I knew almost nothing about computer components 6 months ago - I knew what a processor, RAM and graphics card was, but I didn't know you could buy dedicated ones or even build your own computer :/ Now of course I know about overclocking, what all the specs mean etc. and I'm so glad I found the YT channel. I haven't learnt more about anything else in the same time I've learnt all of this stuff about computers and electronics. It just goes to show what you can learn when you're actually motivated an interested in something!

I should be building my PC in two weeks and I absolutely cannot wait - it's gonna be so much better than my MacBook. And with an R9 280X I'll be able to play pretty much any game decently! :)

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

I got into liking technology because of design

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

My dad gave me an Dell Insperon desktop one day. I decided to open it up and was amazed by the fact that it looked like legos to me. All the cords and parts fascinated me.

Now, I love building computers.

what got me in tech was the need of wanting to know more about tech

what got me into tech is tech

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I started off by taking apart my parents old computers when they were finished with them and their work didn't want them back. I used to play around with the software on a Mac 2 my mum bought new as well. Then at 11 I built my first PC for my dad to do taxes and banking and stuff. I played a few games on it, but it was generally pretty bad. Then he got a laptop so he sold it to me and I've just been upgrading since. Reading mags, looking on PC websites was basically my life for 5 or so years and to an extent still is

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

well, I come from a PC gaming family both my brothers played PC, but then I got my first laptop (at the time didn't have room for a desktop) then I saved up the cash and built my current rig, with LTT guiding my way through massive list of parts. though it started with me just wanting a better gaming experience I soon feel in love with the tech and community.

MoBo: 970A-D3P CPU: FX-8350 GPU: HD 7950 PSU: 1000watt RAM:8Gb of G,skill 1600

Fixing all the computers, wireless access points, printers, etc. at my highschool because no one else in the building was qualified (or they just didn't care at all).

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

my father got me into tech, i was 2 or 3 when he built me a pentium 2 pc with 16 gigs of hardrive space, good enough to play games like carmageddon and dukenukem 

giving up on having a social life 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Gaming got me into tech, its an addiction

Let's agree to disagree

My dad had his own computer company building/repairs. So I grew up around them so that got me into tech, at the age of 7 I could build a computer, at the age of 13 I lost my dad, and the company dissolved. 2 years later I upgraded my PC to play more games, and from there joined a clan in CoD4. That got me into websites, at the age of 15 I started up my own (failed) site, for gamers. As my interest in gaming grew I decided to update my knowledge on computers.

Now getting to the point where I am considering setting up the company again in his name. Not sure what I am going to do yet, but that is the story of me and tech/gaming

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

It's not the best or the longest story and it just comes down to this:

My dad got a new computer and I asked him "What's the best computer, dad?" and he said "It's the iMac" (I know, I know... He's not a fanboy but he did say that). I then went to Apple's website, was a (mild) fanboy for a year and that made me want a MacBook, I looked on YouTube for reviews and found my first tech channel (It was TechnoBuffalo). I then checked out other channels and finally stopped being a fanboy, then last year I found Linus and now I'm here.

To this day I still use the computer my dad got.

i'm a potato

I was 14 I wasn't much of a techie person.I was tired of playing my PS2 at the time there were no new games coming out for it as all the new games where coming for xbox 360 and Ps3 so i was about to give up on gaming but then in 2010 i made a new friend who told me about gaming on PcSo in the July of 2010 i made my first gaming Pc since then I literally breathe Tech.

Intel Core i5 4670k,ASUS B85-MG,4GB Vengeance,Gigabyte 7950,Cooler Master Elite 430 Black,Cooler Master 600 Silent Pro

Personal issues, leaving me with literally nothing to do but play games and surf the web.

I can be a cynical a**hole at times. I apologize if I cause any offence at those time. I also occasionally have issues communicating my point. Extreme introversion + Photographic memory + Some other things.

Desktop: i5-4670k - 8gb 1600MHz - MSI 7850

Laptop: i7-4810QM - GTX 870m - 8gb RAM

My parents bought myself and my brother a Sinclair Spectrum for Christmas when I was 11.  I was amazed by it but my friend a few doors away has a pc. A 486 DX266 would you believe. 

Together we overclocked it and it was all downhill from there.

I remember playing Doom on it and being genuinely scared.  Shouting to him "he's behind you."

Yes, I am old. But more into tech now than I ever was.

Nothing to see here - move along.

Back when I was 11, i had a HP pavillion 304w j64836e.jpg?1

That thing was TERRIBLE! Then I found minecraft videos on youtube. I wanted to play so i downloaded it onto that computer. 

Got 2 FPS

On a good day

On the lowest settings

On the normal flat world

-_-

So I went to my grandmas house one day and got it on her PC (A Compaq something.) It got like 30 FPS. I was like OmG I NeED OnE Of THoSe SoOo BaD! It So AweSoMe! So i told my uncle that i wanted one of those because I knew he was good with PC's. He said he could just give me a computer he had. It had some AMD Athlon 64 single core CPU and a Nvidia 7*** GT. I of course got minecraft and it got 180 FPS on all max graphics. I loved it. Now i still had no intention to learn anything about PC's. Then my moms friend gave me his steam account which had the orange box on it. Thats when i went to buy my first steam game. It was CS:GO,So i DL'ed it and that PC couldn't handle it. So i mentioned it to my uncle and he was like "Oh i have another PC you can have thats better. (My thoughts were why he didn't give me that one in the first place). It had a AMD athlon 64 x2 6200 I think. But before he gave me that i was looking into PC's a bit. I found newegg's how to build a PC video's. Their vids were the best at teaching me. They went into depth and had like 3 3 hour long videos. Then, IT happened. I found linus' videos.Before I found linus i was looking at AMD quad core bulldozers and GTX 560's. After linus I was looking at higher end stuff,like what my rig is now. And i kept on from there until where I am now where I know more than my uncle (His words not mine, also he doesn't keep up with stuff like he used to). So thats my story. 

I remember a very, very long time ago, I was very young, and I wanted to take apart a Nintendo (The First One) just to see how it works, and see whats inside. I was always very curious about tech, and how it operates. But when I took apart the Nintendo, I couldn't figure out how to put it back together. I really just went to town with a Screw Driver and started unscrewing all the screws. lol. I was about 7 or 8 years old at the time.

I built my first PC when I was about 10 years old. Back then my dad always had broke down computers laying around down the basement. So one day I started going through them, and I was learning how the parts connected to each other, then I started taking the good looking parts from the other computers, and built a working computer out of scrap parts. Im not going to lie, it took me a long time to get it to work, I broke a few parts trying to build it, but in the end, I did have it working. I used a hard drive that I found in one of the other computers, and it still had Windows ME installed on it.

And all this was before there was SATA Hard Drives and things like that, the Hard Drive and CD ROM was still IDE (The long gray ribbon cable) LOL.

Ultimate 900D Build - Build Log (In Progress) - TheTechGenius MODs