Dual GPU vs New Single GPU

Skeletor_118

I'm trying to figure out the best solution to upgrading my graphics card in my computer. I have heard a bit about dual graphics cards, and since I'm still learning a lot about computer building in all aspects, I'd like to hear what others have to say about it. I currently have an NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB in my PC, though it is a preinstalled one (it's very barren with only one fan, and doesn't look fancy like ones I see listed online). I was thinking if it'd be better, when the time comes, to buy a second GTX 1060 and have a dual graphics card setup, or if I should just go for a single graphics card (I was looking at the GTX 1070 to upgrade to at some point). Overall my build is a prebuilt, since at the time I got it, I didn't know how to build a PC at all, and I was kinda pressed for time since my last computer basically bricked. I got the HP Pavilion gaming desktop at Best Buy, and the only part I have upgraded since getting it is the RAM, making it now 16GB from the base 8.

I have almost no clue what the differences between graphics cards is other than the basic fact that newer ones should generally provide better images. So I definitely appreciate any advice anyone can give me, since I've got little idea what I'm looking at/for.

You cant SLI 1060's

and besides to that, SLI is horrible for the 10 series. 

A 1070 or 1070ti would be a fine upgrade, but just make sure your power supply is adequate and your case has enough room.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, Slottr said:

You cant SLI 1060's

and besides to that, SLI is horrible for the 10 series. 

A 1070 or 1070ti would be a fine upgrade, but just make sure your power supply is adequate and your case has enough room.

Alright I had no clue, thanks for the info.

Okay yeah I got a 400 W power supply.. I'm assuming I'd basically be looking at what everything I have takes and subtract, right? If so, is there a certain wattage I should make sure I have to spare?

@Slottr is correct. 1060's cannot SLI, and even if they could, game support is virtually non-existent.

If you're looking for a 1070, I've got a really good one for sale.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Just now, Skeletor_118 said:

Alright I had no clue, thanks for the info.

Okay yeah I got a 400 W power supply.. I'm assuming I'd basically be looking at what everything I have takes and subtract, right? If so, is there a certain wattage I should make sure I have to spare?

Erm, you say the 1060 was preinstalled. What exactly do you own for a system?

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

1 minute ago, Skeletor_118 said:

Okay yeah I got a 400 W power supply.

Unfortunately, you're not going to able to run higher than a 1060 without upgrading your PSU. It might not even have enough 8-pin and 6-pin PCIe connectors that a 1070/ti requires.

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

8 minutes ago, Skeletor_118 said:

I got the HP Pavilion gaming desktop at Best Buy

Just now, knightslugger said:

I have an "HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop"

Here's a link to the exact one I have if you want to look for yourself:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-pavilion-gaming-desktop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-256gb-solid-state-drive-shadow-black-with-a-brushed-hairline-pattern/6253612.p?skuId=6253612

Just don't do SLI.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

20 minutes ago, Skeletor_118 said:

OEM. okay, there may or may not be a hiccup here. I have no idea how many PCIe power connectors you have. If I were to hazard a guess, a single 6 or 8 pin. a 1070 will consume about 200W at full power. To add to it, you were unspecific if the 400W was combined power, or solely on the 12v rail. You might actually have a LOT LESS 12V power available to you.  I'm also unfamiliar with HP's OEM for power supplies. If it's cheap, it may be a group regulated unit. no good. It's also Small Form Factor, which limits the available units to you. and then there's another wrench... Some OEMs (Dell, for example) are known to not use standard layout for the MB connector. They flip flop between BTX and ATX. So you can't just run out and buy a Corsair AX1000i and expect it to work. It might, it might not.

System specs:

Friends don't let friends SLI.  The single fastest card you can afford is usually your best solution.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

The only cards I'd recommend SLI-ing at this point are either 1080's or 1080Ti's, given how expensive and lack luster the RTX series is, and how cheap 1080/1080Ti's can be bought used. People are selling their 1080Ti's on ebay for $350-$400, which is quite the steal IMO.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

6 hours ago, knightslugger said:

@Slottr is correct. 1060's cannot SLI, and even if they could, game support is virtually non-existent.

Lack of SLI support is a meme. The people perpetuating it are benchmarkers who only use SLI for reviews and people who have no real experience with it at all.

Almost every major game supports SLI either officially or with a simple fix. Some recent examples include Black Ops 4, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy XV, Destiny 2, Battlefield V, Monster Hunter World, Far Cry 5, Kingdom Come Deliverance, Dawn of War 3, Titanfall 2, Ghost Recon Wildlands Dishonored 2, Prey, Agents of Mayhem and possibly HITMAN 2. (First game works in DX11 mode, I'd assume the second does too but that doesn't always pan out.)

It's a bit of a mixed bag with DX12/Vulkan.  Titles like DOOM works with SLI in OpenGL but not Vulkan.  Rise of the Tomb Raider supports SLI in DX11 and DX12.  Shadow only in DX12. 

In recent years the only a few notable games have lacked SLI such as the AC Origins and Odyssey titles.  Wolfenstein TNO and TNC as well.  

Out of the box SLI support has been a bit shitty but Nvidia Inspector can fix most AAA games. Usually it's as simple as googling "GAME NAME SLI PROFILE".

Nvidia phasing out SLI isn't a good thing for gamers.  I spent $1500 CAD on 980 SLI in early 2015 and it still is nipping at the heels of a 1080Ti/2080 in most situations.  Nearly 4 years out of this set up and quite frankly if I stuck to 1440p I wouldn't need an upgrade for several more years.  If I had bought the highest end card at the time I'd be sitting at 1070 level performance with a 980Ti/TitanX.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

18 minutes ago, sgloux3470 said:

Lack of SLI support is a meme. The people perpetuating it are benchmarkers who only use SLI for reviews and people who have no real experience with it at all.

Damn, don't try to throw rocks in their glass echo chamber too hard :D

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

Given you have 1060 budget, I suggest selling it and getting a used better card. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz