How many of us own a tablet?

MegaDave91

Hmm, I can see the battery life point

I'm curious, what adapter and software do you use and is it decent? I was thinking of either picking up a computer or one of those neat bluetooth interfaces. 

I using a genric reader with torque https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en

Oh, don't get an ipad. android 4.4 has printer support

My rig: Case: Cooler master storm scout

CPU: I5 3570k - Ram:  8Gb Kingston HyperX Blu

GPU: GTX 660 - Sorage: 2-1TB WD black;  120 GB samsung 840

I don't understand what they're used for  :mellow:

I'm being completely serious, if someone could inspire as to what their purpose is? I still don't understand the trend. 

Basically as a Youtube, Facebook, and casual gaming device.  I use my dad's ipad while in the living room to check the LTT froum and browse around while sitting with my family.  If you never feel like your laptop gets cumbersome with its keyboard or larger size, then maybe a tablet isn't for you.  I personally have an S4 so I don't feel the need to get a tablet yet, but I definitely see where they are useful, especially considering they have enough power for practically anything MOST people do on a PC anyway.

I personally will never buy a tablet. My phone(5" HTC DNA) does more than enough of what I need(texting, calling, emulation, etc.). If I need to do word processing I would use a laptop or my desktop.

I also know what @helping is talking about, I don't see how and why it is used. Tablets seem like a basic child's toy to be used, I would only use one for watching Netflix, but even then I would only do that in bed and I have a HTPC hooked up to a TV in my bedroom, so it's useless there too.

I using a genric reader with torque https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en

Oh, don't get an ipad. android 4.4 has printer support

Do all of the app features work correctly? And do you happen to have a link to your adapter? Just wanting to make sure everything works out correctly before I buy anything, or will any plain old generic ebay interface work?

Basically as a Youtube, Facebook, and casual gaming device.  I use my dad's ipad while in the living room to check the LTT froum and browse around while sitting with my family.  If you never feel like your laptop gets cumbersome with its keyboard or larger size, then maybe a tablet isn't for you.  I personally have an S4 so I don't feel the need to get a tablet yet, but I definitely see where they are useful, especially considering they have enough power for practically anything MOST people do on a PC anyway.

I guess I'm in the same boat. I'd use my phone for all of that and for me it pretty much does whatever a tablet does and what the tablet can't a laptop (by extension desktop obv) can.

Error: 410

As I have time and time before on this forum, my school is going to incorporate iPads into the curriculum next year. I am going to have to buy one then so I put down considering one.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

I don't understand what they're used for  :mellow:

I'm being completely serious, if someone could inspire as to what their purpose is? I still don't understand the trend.

The only use for my iPad is to browse the internet when I am shitting no joke, and for my sister to play candy crush on.

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

I have an ipad 2. I use it only for media consumption and don't want to do anything else on it so it works fine with no hitches. Love it!

(SpecsCPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7850 MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte H81M-S2PV RAM: 4GB Storage: 2TB WD HDD

(Peripherals) Keyboard: Corsair K95 Mouse: Zowie EC2-A Headset: Audio-Technica ATH-M50X's Microphone: Blue Snowball

They have a place as a business tool, larger screen for showing plans to clients, reading is easier, surfing the web is easier and calenders are also easier with larger boxes and more information at a glance. My misses used one flat out, nexus7, she love its to death, takes movies with her when she travels, uses it for all her diary and note taking. she also has apps where she can carry it around the class and make notes about students, that updates to a white board and displays the whole classes activity. It's really quite ingenious and I can't see that working to well on a phone and laptop is too bulky.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I have a TF300T thats wonderful, and will be even better when I figure out how to root the damn thing

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

I had a blackberry playbook and it was great except there the app support was basically non-existent. I really only used it as an e-reader. Sold it last summer though. 

I've had the 2012 Nexus 7 since it came out. (Back when the 16GB model was $250) Actually, I broke that one, sold it on eBay, and used that money to buy a brand new one, and less than a month later the 2013 model came out. What timing!

It's rooted and overclocked on the stock ROM. I can use my external HDD with it as long as I have another power source powering the HDD since my N7 doesn't output enough amperage for it. (I can use a splitter with a ton of flash drives and SD card readers though.)

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

Well... I don't directly own one, but maybe after I graduate from high school (not my tablet, but our school's students can do whatever on the tablets they want whenever they want). Last year's high school juniors were the last to get 15'' laptops, this year we (myself included) got Acer Iconia W510 tablets with keyboard docks, of which, about 20% of them had either some software issues or hardware issues. My tablet has been sent back for repair due to Windows 8.1 update (seemingly) causing hardware issues.

At first I didn't really understood the usefulness of tablets, thinking them as just a useless media consumption device. Now that I've used one with a keyboard dock, I see how easy it is to carry it around from class to class, as they easily fit in even small bags. Fortunately they gave us students Windows 8 tablets so we can actually do something, unlike that iGarbage some schools seem to acquire. And the 9 hour battery life at max (another 9 hours with the keyboard dock, giving total of 18 h) really can save our asses.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

I have an Asus memopad HD7 that I got specifically to watch YouTube and read around the house. Honestly I was most excited about being able to watch the Wan show and wash dishes at the same time. All I was doing on my laptop was YouTube anyway and a 7" tablet is much less cumbersome and it typically gets nearly four times the battery life (1:30-2 for the laptop vs. 6-8 for the tablet).

While not technically a tablet I also have one of those kindle eBook readers since a couple of weeks after I got my tablet Amazon sent me a $60 off any kindle coupon and I used it to get their cheapest model for $9. I now only need my tablet for video and internet.

Lastly I have a JXD S5110 (http://www.jxd.hk/products.asp?id=611&selectclassid=009006) Pretty much a PS Vita knockoff that runs android. It feels Chinese too. The screen it a bit terrible and the buttons aren't as good as I could like. But my laptop was doing nothing and my brother wanted a laptop so I traded for this and a 32GB microSD card. I could make it a portable emulator machine with everything the controller is compatible with. But I haven't done so yet.

I got a tablet this last fall because I realized that all I was doing with it was watching videos online and reading articles. Much of the work that I do that requires real muscle anyway would be nearly as frustrating on the laptop. Plus if I just want to curl up on the couch and watch YouTube/play games/ read comics a tablet is amazing, easy to hold, and doesn't make my lap sweat.

And I still have a dumb phone since I find the costs of data plans a bit ridiculous. So a tablet gets me into the ecosystem without needing to pay three figures a year to the wireless gods for the right of passage.

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

I have first gen Nexus 7 and I still love it.

I have an iPad2 also.  I use the iPad2 as a thinclient to ssh into my linux boxes because it has a larger screen than the Nexus 7.  My thinclient setup is:  Apple Bluetooth Keyboard; InCase Orgami; iPad2     - works great!  It's not as good as using a real computer obviously, but great for getting the job done.

edit:  iSSH is the app i use.  highly recommend it.

I got one for school, I find the portability great and it does everything I need it to do..

ELEPHANT SEALS EVERYWHERE!

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and its good even tho its only got a Tegra 2 chip inside.

Am planning on getting a Asus Transformer T100 some time soon to replace my aging Netbook.

Cry Havoc!

When you need to take a dump, but your brother is being an ass by not lending you his smartphone.

No? No, but seriously, I just use it like a laptop, except it's easier to sneak in the bathroom...

hhhaahahahahaahah

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I use my iPad for just about everything related to University. I take it to class and take notes on it and put all of my textbooks on it to read. Couldn't do this with a laptop because reading a textbook on a laptop is a dreadful experience compared to holding an iPad in portrait mode. Its also nice because the battery life of an iPad is far higher than any laptop, the screen is super sharp and its light as hell at 1lb.

I'm a premed major and finished with most of my harder math classes but in past semesters I also carried around a stylus to take notes in DiffyQ and Multivariable.

I got a Nexus 7 from a KitKat bar. In all honesty, I was a little sceptical of the 7 inch form factor. A month later, and I literally use it for every situation where I don't require a full keyboard.

The fact that its 7 inches means you can keep it in a pocket and carry it around with you. It feels almost as natural as a phone in that respect. Compare that to a laptop, or even a 10 inch tablet, it feels like holding a machine.

Personally, my usage varies between YouTube, generally internetting and emailing, as well as occasionally using it as a second screen when writing articles and such.

Gaming is also a lot of fun on this thing - Frozen Synapse in particular.

I've a full review of the device here if anyone wants to see it:

http://theballofgum.blogspot.com/2014/01/late-nexus-7-2013-review.html

Hope this helped.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

They are the cancer in the tech industry

That's extreme. Mind telling us with good well thought out arguments why they are the 'cancer of the tech industry'?

Also I had a Nexus 7 2013, but I wanted the Nexus 5 tbh, so I returned it after a week.

Real shame too, I miss it now(even with owning a One and N5) and was using it with Splashtop. Had I not returned it then I could buy the Gamepad app now and play WoW on my tablet.

I have a first gen Nexus 10 and it's fantastic.  I'm probably going to sell it and get a second gen 10.

I use it for pretty much everything I don't need a full keyboard for.  Watching Video's on a phone sized screen?  No thanks. Having a 'phablet' in my pocket 24/7?  No thanks.  Going downstairs just to look something random up on the internet?  No thanks.  Having a hot, uncomfortable, inconvenient laptop on me while sitting on the couch?  No thanks.

I guess if I went home from work, and sat on my desktop all night, I wouldn't have a use for a tablet.  But I don't, so I do.

My GS4 is always with me and has a large screen. I dont see c a reason to spend $250+ on something that does less. So no. I think the Note III is better because it does both. I dont want to be tethered to wifi or carry two things with me.

I have a school issued ipad which I guess counts. I watch twitch and go on here when I'm bored.

Case: CM Storm Trooper I CPU: 4770k @4.5ghz I Cpu cooler: H110 I RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16gb 2400mhz I GPU: Sapphire 7970 OC I Mobo: Msi gd65 I PSU: Corsair rm 750w I KEYBOARD: Cm Storm Trigger cherry mx blue I MOUSE: Corsair m65 I MONITORS: ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz and Acer X223W 22" 60hz I AUDIO: Corsair vengeance 1500