RTX Titan vs. 2x RTX 2080 TI (SLI)

nkesport

Hey guys,

So with the release of the new RTX Titan, I'm actually very interested in it (pending reviews of course). However, you can buy 2x 2080 TIs for the same price. 

My question is simple. Given two identical rigs with an Intel 8700K, ASUS Maximus X Formula, and 32GB of DDR4 3200 MHz RAM, what makes for a more capable gaming computer? I know DX12 and SLI aren't really getting along right now, but it still should be faster than a single gle Titan right? 

Well 2080 in SLI in theory is more powerful. But then you have to deal with SLI shenanigans, half of the games not supporting it, bigger power draw. But dual GPU systems looks cool, so there's that. 

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

Well.. as of right now, SLI does not work in DX12, does not work with DXR/ray Tracing... so.. as always.. the same answer to this question for the 1,000,000,000th time.. Single fastest card you can afford. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

technically SLI isn't on the 2080Ti, but I'm being a smartass. @JuztBe is right, it is hypothetically more powerful but dual card support is tough for multiple reasons.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

If you care about the raw performance then probably 2x 2080ti will be better. A single Titan might be about 15% stronger than a 2080ti in typical gaming rasterization scenarios so depending on the games you are playing, you might be looking at a sizeable boost.

SLI setup might be even 50-70% stronger than a single Titan in good supported games.

For instance, since I have built my own SLI rig, the games I have been playing: Mass Effect Andromeda, Final Fantasy XV, Witcher 3, Tomb Raider, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Nier: Automata, Dragon Age Inquisition and now Pillars of Eternity. 

Out of all those the only one that I couldn't get to work with SLI is Pillars of Eternity and that's only because I didn't bother (game doesn't need it).

Future plans involve Anthem and Cyberpunk which are more or less safe bets.

If you:

- like games without SLI support (Assassins Creed series comes to mind)

- have the mindset that you should plug it and it should work flawlessly without utilizing NVIDIA Inspector

- really want RTX features

then get a Titan

If you

-are willing to wait for the potential patches that will fix SLI support with RTX (supposedly the one for Battlefield is coming)

-and most of games that interest you support SLI or can be made to support it with Inspector

then get 2x 2080ti

Also bear in mind that even in non supported scenarios a single 2080ti is a beast and like I said, you should not expect a single Titan to be more powerful than 15%.

So you will probably be looking at 50-70% better performance in titles supporting SLI and 15% worse in those that do not.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

I'd go 1 2080ti and if you really need it get another. You can run basically anything at any resolution at excellent framerates so I wouldn't bother with more. 

That's an F in the profile pic

16 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Well.. as of right now, SLI does not work in DX12, does not work with DXR/ray Tracing... so.. as always.. the same answer to this question for the 1,000,000,000th time.. Single fastest card you can afford. 

Skiiwee29, valid point. Thanks for taking the time to answer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I know this thread has been quiet for a while but I finally made a decision! EVGA just released the 2080TI FTW3 HydroCopper GPU. This card comes ready to integrate with a full custom water cooling loop so I don't have to wait for EKWB to make a custom block.

I've been meaning to take the plunge into water cooling for a while, and this basically requires me too. So I'll be water cooling the CPU, MB, and GPU with EKWB (1x 120mm RAD, 2x 240mm RADs) with soft tubing! 

On a side note, now I'll have to figure out what to do with my EVGA 1080 TI FTW3 with the EVGA AIO kit lol. Shouldn't be too hard to sell I hope. 

You could just say screw it like I did, and buy two Titans. No regrets! 

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

Gamers nexus have a video on it or Jayson 2 cents I do t remeber but basically a 2080ti performs the same if not better than the rtitanx card

its minasculy better a time some stuff it really is to ment for gaming 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper