Which text editor do you use? (For coding)

Dkbay

Which text editor do you use (For coding)  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one of the following

• VS code
    • Sublime text 3
    • Atom
    • Jetbrains editors... (Intellij Phpstorm etc.)
    • Brackets
    • Notepad++
    • Dream weaver
    • Other

I was just wondering what kind of text editor people use since it turns out me and my friends all use different text editors.

If you wanna put any specific reason for using a specific editor feel free to :)

~Dkbay

Depends on the file I'm opening.

Generally I'll use Notepad++ for normal files, but for programming it's Atom, and for large (meaning freaking massive) files I'll use gVim. (handle's 20+ GB text files just fine.) 

Why do I have 20+ GB text files you ask.... well... uh... I may have tried to brute force a game by calculating every possible move a person could make, then calculate the BEST one. That resulted in a few... 20+ GB files. (It worked by the way...)

9 minutes ago, Dkbay said:

I was just wondering what kind of text editor people use since it turns out me and my friends all use different text editors.

If you wanna put any specific reason for using a specific editor feel free to :)

~Dkbay

2 minutes ago, Arika S said:

image.png.ad946ecdc9bd7949a1830ab31c7258d7.png

the king

^---I'll second this AND wonder why it's not an option on the poll

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Well it was meant as a question for coding... Do you guys actually use notepad for coding?

2 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Depends on the file I'm opening.

Generally I'll use Notepad++ for normal files, but for programming it's Atom, and for large (meaning freaking massive) files I'll use gVim. (handle's 20+ GB text files just fine.) 

20GB!  I don't think any of my autohotkey offerings have ever been THAT big

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

2 minutes ago, Dkbay said:

Well it was meant as a question for coding... Do you guys actually use notepad for coding?

little bit here and there with autohotkey

Notepad for quick notes.
Notepad++ for HTML, CSS, basically anything with "code" in it.
Libre Office Writer for large documents with rich texts.

1 minute ago, Dkbay said:

Do notice that you didn't mention coding AT ALL in your opening post or even in the title of this thread. You said "text editor". What is the definition of "text" to you?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, Dkbay said:

You need to specify the specific use case.  A text editor has many different uses

1 minute ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

You need to specify the specific use case.  A text editor has many different uses

Yep I know I added a bit to the title now :)

4 minutes ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

20GB!  I don't think any of my autohotkey offerings have ever been THAT big

Well, as I edited... I was trying to generate every possible move a player could make in a game. There were 30 different decisions to be made.... with 8 choices for each decision.... so that ended up being around 20,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 unique paths the player could take. If you type out the numbers from 1 to that number... you get a very.... very large file. 

That's 20 septillion. 

Notepad is pretty much useless for coding.

Notepad++ is better but still a super barebones oldschool editor for people who aren't really doing much programming.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

Well, as I edited... I was trying to generate every possible move a player could make in a game. There were 30 different decisions to be made.... with 8 choices for each decision.... so that ended up being around 20000000000000000000000000 unique paths the player could take. If you type out the numbers from 1 to that number... you get a very.... very large file. 

not to mention very sore fingers

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Notepad is pretty much useless for coding.

Notepad++ is better but still a super barebones oldschool editor for people who aren't really doing much programming.

I once wrote a python program for a colleague, and they wanted me to change something small, so I decided to just open it up on their computer using notepad. That was a mistake.

Took me 5 minutes just to find the damn variables I had to change from freaking 2 to 3.  

13 minutes ago, Dkbay said:

Well i'm just learning still, but i use for see the coding on the IDE or the Notepad/Visual Studio

12 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

I once wrote a python program for a colleague, and they wanted me to change something small, so I decided to just open it up on their computer using notepad. That was a mistake.

Took me 5 minutes just to find the damn variables I had to change from freaking 2 to 3.  

Yeah it's ridiculous how it doesn't read new line or tabs properly.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Yeah it's ridiculous how it doesn't read new line or tabs properly.

Exactly. Often times if I'm just opening up a tabbed document on a computer that's not mine, I'll open it in WORDPAD of all things. At least it reads tabs correctly. 

Of course you just use the IDE that is best for your language. But whenever I want to make a quick single webpage I do it in notepad. Javascript I tend to write in the inspector of chrome because I can test in real time on the page, and sometimes I write batch and PS scripts so use notepad for that also. 

GNU Emacs, Notepad3 or Acme (GUI) / ed or TECO (CLI) - depending on which system is currently running.

For Android and C#, I usually stick with the default IDEs though.

Write in C.

VSCode all the way, I used to use Atom until I started having performance issues with it. I can't see how people can still use Notepad++ in this day and age. I sometimes use VIM if I'm using the Terminal.

🙂

kate (on Linux), atom for small stuff. IDEs for big projects preferably Visual Studio for C# and C/C++, PyCharm for Python and IntelliJ for Java but usually you can't really decide if you work for a company.

Everything by jetbrains is superior. I use their ide exclusively these days, except for school work in which my instructor force the students to use the atrocious netbeans. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Gvim if we're talking text editors, CLion or IDEA for full feature IDE project development

Re: the Notepad discussion in here:

If you are using Notepad for coding, you are doing it wrong. Period, end of discussion. It's best to assume that anyone who says they use Notepad for coding is trolling.

Notepad++ isn't really even close to Notepad. It does the job okay enough, I guess, but the interface turns me off completely. It's also pretty dated.

I used Sublime for a while, but got sick of the nagware (and wasn't too big of a fan of the interface either) and switched to VSC when that started getting popular. I'm really happy with VSC because of the level of support it gets from Microsoft, and the ease of developing plugins for it (which means more/better plugins on the marketplace). Plus, it's the only Electron app I've seen that isn't slow to the point of being ridiculous.