OnePlus preparing to launch McLaren 6T in December even though they should know better | OnePlus sells out again?

AlTech

TheVerge reports that OnePlus is preparing to launch a McLaren 6T in December despite the fact that they should know better.

The new 6T Edition is rumored to be feature more RAM than the Standard Edition 6T and more storage as well.

In the fine tradition of vapid Lamborghini, Ferrari, and Porsche Design phones made by tech companies that should know better, OnePlus has this morning announced a launch event for its collaboration with British supercar maker McLaren. The teaser page set up for the launch, scheduled for December 11th, leaves little doubt about the likely content of the announcement, with the url reading “mclaren-6t”.

OnePlus hasn’t shied away from doing custom editions of its smartphones, having previously done a subtle Star Wars edition as well as an Avengers edition of its flagship device of the time. Carrying the tagline “salute to speed,” the McLaren 6T can be rightly expected to feature all the excellent quickness and responsiveness that OnePlus’ ordinary 6T provides, though probably juiced up with some suitably increased RAM and storage numbers on the spec sheet and a fattened-up price to match. McLaren’s signature color when launching new cars is orange, so there’s a high chance of that figuring on the McLaren 6T. We’ll know for sure in a couple of weeks’ time.

I still see special edition models designed and named after sports cars as useless stuff. But it probably increases brand awareness and makes everybody think OnePlus is more premium so I can see why they would want to do it. 

But I still really wish OnePlus and phone manufacturers would stop playing mind-games with people.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

But I still really wish OnePlus and phone manufacturers stopped playing mind-games with people.

Agreed.

Tbh though, if the price is right I'd buy a McLaren 6T. It looks like a nice phone and it'd probably be quite nice to use. Only issue is it's probably going to be £600+ though, which is bordering scam territory for the phone they're trying to make. It's supposed to be a budget-oriented phone that keeps value in mind and then they just go and slap a McLaren logo on there and pump up the price tag to make a quick buck. 

Even though OnePlus's motto is Never Settle, I've said it before and I'll say it again: We really have settled with the 6T. 

12 minutes ago, 1kv said:

Agreed.

Tbh though, if the price is right I'd buy a McLaren 6T. I bet it's going to be £600+ though, which is bordering scam territory for the phone they're trying to make. It's supposed to be a budget-oriented phone that keeps value in mind and then they just go and slap a McLaren logo on there and pump up the price tag to make a quick buck. 

Even though OnePlus's motto is Never Settle, I've said it before and I'll say it again: We really have settled with the 6T. 

I feel like they should change their slogan to "Always Settle" with the amount of "Settling" they've done in the past 3 years.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

soo..
it will.. cost more and.. break all the time ??

I don't see a good outcome here..

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

I feels like they should change their slogan to "Always Settle" with the amount of "Settling" they've done in the past 3 years.

Agreed. Although then again, the Pocophone line from Xiaomi will end up the same way. The OnePlus One was $300 brand new and so is the Pocophone F1. Only a matter of time before that goes in OnePlus' direction. 

It's inevitable that it will happen with any company that has the same mission objective as Xiaomi and OnePlus. Parts and labour get more expensive so they then jack up the price. We can't help it and the manufacturer can't either (to a certain extent).

2 minutes ago, 1kv said:

Agreed. Although then again, the Pocophone line from Xiaomi will end up the same way. The OnePlus One was $300 brand new and so is the Pocophone F1. Only a matter of time before that goes in OnePlus' direction. 

It's inevitable that it will happen with any company that has the same mission objective as Xiaomi and OnePlus. Parts and labour get more expensive so they then jack up the price. We can't help it and the manufacturer can't either (to a certain extent).

It's also partially because it isn't terribly sustainable to target the niche audience of tech enthusiasts providing the best specs for the lowest prices.

This video is a year old but still holds true to this day.

Gimme dat Fernando Alonso special/final edition.

Would happily pay the premium for that. Especially for my boi Nando.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

OnePlus is generally going on a bad direction. The next few years will be a shitshow for them I reckon.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

A part of me wishes I waited on my purchase decision because I knew an interesting new color or limited edition would launch within the original release... and the other part wishes I just bought a Note 9.

OnePlus is playing a weird game, they may eventually start putting consumers in a continual limbo of "but the next version is only a month a way," what with the launch of the T series and the limited edition / special colors.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Since when did OnePlus start making cars, or team up with McLaren to make cars???

THIS NAME SCHEME IS CONFUSING ME!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

1 hour ago, Suika said:

A part of me wishes I waited on my purchase decision because I knew an interesting new color or limited edition would launch within the original release... and the other part wishes I just bought a Note 9.

OnePlus is playing a weird game, they may eventually start putting consumers in a continual limbo of "but the next version is only a month a way," what with the launch of the T series and the limited edition / special colors.

Shoulda got the note 9 Bro 

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

3 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Gimme dat Fernando Alonso special/final edition.

Would happily pay the premium for that. Especially for my boi Nando.

Would pay extra for mclaren orange 6T with abu dhabi livery and 14 on it ?

What I don't get is the notion that OnePlus is "selling out."  It's a for-profit company -- it's not as if OnePlus is making phones out of the goodness of its heart and is compromising its integrity by partnering with a car manufacturer.

Let's see what it's like first... and if it's just a fluffy, overpriced special edition, don't buy it.

2 minutes ago, Commodus said:

What I don't get is the notion that OnePlus is "selling out."  It's a for-profit company -- it's not as if OnePlus is making phones out of the goodness of its heart and is compromising its integrity by partnering with a car manufacturer.

Let's see what it's like first... and if it's just a fluffy, overpriced special edition, don't buy it.

Because people like to live in their idealistic worlds where Apple and Samsung are evil while One Plus and Essential are selling the same products for a fraction of the cost out of the goodness of their corporate hearts. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

OnePlus is just going mainstream. 

Whether we like it or not, it works when it comes to actually selling. As much as we roasted OnePlus for removing the headphone jack, preliminary sales info shows that the effect it had isn't much, if at all. 

That TechAltar video illustrates the point clearly. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Would it beat the Mi Mix3 in ram?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Will it cost a rediculous amount just for an oil change and have to send it all back to Norfolk if it breaks?