More Windows 10 woes. This time, it breaks Windows Media Player and other Win32 applications

Microsoft just can't stop shooting themselves in the foot ?

/s

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

4 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

people call me weird for having Windows 8.1 on my main machine. this stuff is why i do that. 

people call me weird for having Windows 10 on my main machine. this stuff never affects me 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, Arika S said:

people call me weird for having Windows 10 on my main machine. this stuff never affects me 

it certainly affects me on my laptop. Windows 10 is the most broken OS ever in my opinion...

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

it certainly affects me on my laptop. Windows 10 is the most broken OS ever in my opinion...

i must be one of the lucky ones then. i've had 0 issues in the 2.5 years i've been running it.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

i must be one of the lucky ones then. i've had 0 issues in the 2.5 years i've been running it.

I think you might be, I haven't had any major issues but I agree that it is very buggy, for a few years even the start menu opening was hit or miss. Bugs with default program selections, the your Windows license is linked to hardware, mobo specifically has been an annoyance for this forum. Like I said, I'm with you, I haven't had any major issues but I see why a lot of people have disdain for it.

56 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

Why'd Bill Gates name it after his d!ck?

what the hell is wrong with you? Gates hasn't had a hand in the creation of windows for ages. he's done more for humanity than most people, and you make a dick joke? grow up.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

9 hours ago, Arika S said:

I think it's more likely that you don't get annoyed by the bad things Microsoft have done, you just haven't noticed them or are more forgiving with issues.

For example this "can't change default program to a win32" one might be in effect on your machine, but you haven't tried changing default so you haven't noticed it.

Or maybe you did try but you haven't tried opening that file type again since, and therefore haven't noticed that your default program never changed despite you checking the box.

Or maybe you did change the default, but when you tried to open that file type again you thought "Oh, I must have forgotten to change the default last time" but in reality you did.

In other cases, people say things aren't issues if they can be changed. For example Windows 10 has ads by default in something like 10 different locations, all with their own settings. Some people claim Windows 10 don't have ads in those places, despite them being documented by Microsoft, screenshots of it existing, etc. The reason they say the ads doesn't exist is because they haven't seen them (probably because they turned it off).

I see a few people on this forum constantly say they have 0 issues with Windows 10, and I am starting to believe they do, but they don't identify it as a Windows 10 issue even though it is, or they changed something to make it less of an issue for them.

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I think it's more likely that you don't get annoyed by the bad things Microsoft have done, you just haven't noticed them or are more forgiving with issues.

For example this "can't change default program to a win32" one might be in effect on your machine, but you haven't tried changing default so you haven't noticed it.

Or maybe you did try but you haven't tried opening that file type again since, and therefore haven't noticed that your default program never changed despite you checking the box.

Or maybe you did change the default, but when you tried to open that file type again you thought "Oh, I must have forgotten to change the default last time" but in reality you did.

In other cases, people say things aren't issues if they can be changed. For example Windows 10 has ads by default in something like 10 different locations, all with their own settings. Some people claim Windows 10 don't have ads in those places, despite them being documented by Microsoft, screenshots of it existing, etc. The reason they say the ads doesn't exist is because they haven't seen them (probably because they turned it off).

I see a few people on this forum constantly say they have 0 issues with Windows 10, and I am starting to believe they do, but they don't identify it as a Windows 10 issue even though it is, or they changed something to make it less of an issue for them.

I run antibeacon which means some of the things that cause an issue might be mitigated, But when I say I have had 1 issue in the 3 years, literally I mean I have had one update force a restart at an inconvenient time.  I have had nothing else stop working or brick on me for no good reason. I run windows 10 on 3 other PC's (they don't run antibeacon) and have not had programs stop working or updates cause problems.

I think at the end of the day Windows has problems (there is no doubt about that), but it doesn't effect everyone, just like apple has issues, but that doesn't effect all users, android has issues but they don't effect everyone.  I think at least people like @Arika S and myself agree that we might be in the lucky minority at the very least but most likely in the average majority that run with minimal notable issues.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

13 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

they made the 1809 update unavailable to me. 

got the same thing, if your system is running the certan intel hardware that the 1803 update breaks (intels fault for providing fucked up drivers, not microsofts, they said intel told them that it was working) then you won't get it untill it's been fixed (when that comes out)

interestingly though is that i'm not running it, yet my desktop won't receive it, checked for updates manually and windows thinks it;s still ok, it just downloaded some definition updates and security patches to the OS so i know it's "working", which is good for me, don't like it and i am this close to just installing LTSB over the update shit microsoft been pulling these last couple of years, could go with Linux but i'm not a Linux dude...

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

I run windows 10 on 3 other PC's (they don't run antibeacon) and have not had programs stop working or updates cause problems.

Again, I believe you have had more issues or bugs affect you, just that you don't realize it or don't care enough for it to be a big issue to you.

For example ~2 years ago an update reset all the default programs (such as PDF viewer) to Microsoft programs. If I recall correctly, that happened to everyone and not just a handful of unlucky people.

The reason why you say you didn't have that issue might have been because:

1) You hadn't changed the default programs, so nothing got reset for you.

2) You might have forgotten about it.

3) You brushed it off as a minor inconvenience that you had to set the default program again. Something that takes like 10 seconds.

What I'm trying to say is that I honestly don't believe that you have dodged every single issue with Windows 10, especially not since some of them have been affecting everyone and not just a handful of people

What I do believe however is that your particular use case, as well as mentality, means that you are not personally inconvenienced or even notices the issues others are noticing. For example if you haven't changed default PDF reader then you won't notice that it got reset. The "bug" still happened on your computer, but you didn't notice it.

13 minutes ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

got the same thing, if your system is running the certan intel hardware that the 1803 update breaks (intels fault for providing fucked up drivers, not microsofts, they said intel told them that it was working) then you won't get it untill it's been fixed (when that comes out) 

I wouldn't be so quick to blame Intel on that. The Intel driver worked until Microsoft made a change to the OS, and then it stopped working.

Since we don't know what the change Microsoft did was, or why it was changed, so I wouldn't blame Intel just yet.

From what I know, all we know is that Microsoft has said that they are holding the update back for computers with the Intel driver, and that Intel will release a new driver which will fix the issue. That does not mean it is Intel's fault even though they are the ones fixing it.

Might be that Microsoft has changed something in the driver architecture which broke Intel's driver, and Intel now has to adapt to the change.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

Again, I believe you have had more issues or bugs affect you, just that you don't realize it or don't care enough for it to be a big issue to you.

Or it didn't effect me.  Remember we are talking about broken updates that stop programs from working, not changes to default file associations or store recommendations int he start menu.

I have had nothing stop working yet.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

13 hours ago, Techstorm970 said:

Probably not.  Linux ain't mainstream enough.  It's more likely that people will switch to macOS or ditch desktops and laptops altogether if Microsoft can't get it together.

Trust me it's mainstream enough already. Go and check manjaro linux if you do not believe me. I use linux 8 years already. 4 of those linux is my only OS without dual boot i mean and it's GREAT!

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

34 minutes ago, mate_mate91 said:

Go and check manjaro linux

Its based on Arch Linux so it might not be a good choice for a novice. For the average joe i think Linux Mint would be better. MY personal go-to is usually kubuntu, or lubuntu in case of a weak machine. (In case of servers debian only.)

Edited by jagdtigger

35 minutes ago, mate_mate91 said:

Trust me it's mainstream enough already. Go and check manjaro linux if you do not believe me. I use linux 8 years already. 4 of those linux is my only OS without dual boot i mean and it's GREAT!

i gave up on it. 

nvidia drivers are buggy, and the OS is too. if i try to lock my linux laptop, which is running Ubuntu 18.10, it glitches out, and i have to press the lock shortcut again. then it locks, but the dock still shows through... 

She/Her

41 minutes ago, mate_mate91 said:

I recently installed Ubuntu on a secondary drive because of these issues. Still getting used to nuances of it.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

Or it didn't effect me.  Remember we are talking about broken updates that stop programs from working, not changes to default file associations or store recommendations int he start menu.

I have had nothing stop working yet.

Oh sorry. I didn't know you were referring to specifically programs breaking after an update.

Arika, which I was replying to before you jumped in, just made a blanket statement that "i've had 0 issues in the 2.5 years i've been running it." and you clicked agree on that. So I thought you said that you have had 0 issues as well. Not just that you have had only 1 issue regarding a Windows update breaking another program.

That makes more sense.

Yeah, I've only had a handful of Windows update break third party programs too. The plethora of issues I have with Windows update is when a Windows update breaks itself, and that seems to happen way more often than third party programs breaking.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

-snip-

from what i have read it's the driver. (most of my news sources are on the forums so i may be wrong but hey, at least i know more!)

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

25 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Oh sorry. I didn't know you were referring to specifically programs breaking after an update.

Arika, which I was replying to before you jumped in, just made a blanket statement that "i've had 0 issues in the 2.5 years i've been running it." and you clicked agree on that. So I thought you said that you have had 0 issues as well. Not just that you have had only 1 issue regarding a Windows update breaking another program.

That makes more sense.

Yeah, I've only had a handful of Windows update break third party programs too. The plethora of issues I have with Windows update is when a Windows update breaks itself, and that seems to happen way more often than third party programs breaking.

Yeh, sorry, I jumped in on the premise that we were all talking about programs as that was where the thread started. 

I've had one issue with update being an inconvenience (forced restart), I haven't had it break any programs yet though.

41 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Its still not as bad as 10 is with its totally inconsistent GUI... 

Agreed, I'm keen to learn Ubuntu specifically, just getting use to not using wizards but installing software through command line, it's something different for me.

Drama queens, drama queens everywhere. Can't wait for all these whiners to create something as complex as entire freaking OS and have it absolutely spotless and bug free. most can't even keep a media player bug free and here everyone is making drama over literal annoyances. Who even uses WMP these days? WHY? And the Win32 apps thing, "some" is the keyword. If it was ALL then it could be all over the news. "Some" means it's an issue that's just a bug like 300 billion others.

45 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Agreed, I'm keen to learn Ubuntu specifically, just getting use to not using wizards but installing software through command line, it's something different for me.

There is a software center.... Let me check it in a VM(this machine runs kubuntu).

/EDIT

Yep there is, Ubuntu Software...

Edited by jagdtigger

Here I've been waiting for 1809 to install LTSC, and then it was the re-release of 1809 I had to wait for, and now it's a patched and confirmed properly functional 1809. I wonder when Windows 10 is going to collapse under the weight of all its bugs. It seems like the OS is falling apart from the inside. I also wonder when Microsoft is going to admit defeat with its bi-annual updates and outsourced-to-customers testing regime. The current way of doing things is clearly unsustainable and I imagine that it's only a matter of time before Microsoft buckles.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Can't wait for all these whiners to create something as complex as entire freaking OS and have it absolutely spotless and bug free.

You don't have to be able to make something better in order to criticize something.

If hypothetically Volkswagen releases a car where the breaks only work 70% of the times (as in, there is roughly a 1/3 chance that pressing the break doesn't do anything) then I will have a right to criticize them for it, even though I can't build a better car.

I can't write an entire OS, but when Microsoft fucks up and releases rushed and buggy updates I can say they did a bad job.

My big question here is, what the hell is going on in Windows to cause all these issues to begin with? In order for software to break, something has to change.

What did Microsoft change, and why, in order to break file type association for certain programs (such as Notepad)?

What did they change to make iCloud no longer work?

What did they change to break the Intel graphics driver?

What did they change to break duplicate file detection for zip?

Considering what a mess Windows is, I wouldn't be surprised if not even Microsoft knows why some things break.

19 hours ago, akialwayz said:

Basically microsoft is sneakly trying to encourage people to ditch win 32 progroms and use win64 and uwp apps.A little bit of time factor is also there

this is giving me serious reasons not to move to windows 10 because of this bullshit right here they are purposefully fucking up win32 apps just to force us to use their really shitty apps that no one wants to use this is why so many people still use windows 7 over windows 10 because of bullshit that theyre doing to it