More Windows 10 woes. This time, it breaks Windows Media Player and other Win32 applications

13 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

You don't have to be able to make something better in order to criticize something.

If hypothetically Volkswagen releases a car where the breaks only work 70% of the times (as in, there is roughly a 1/3 chance that pressing the break doesn't do anything) then I will have a right to criticize them for it, even though I can't build a better car.

I can't write an entire OS, but when Microsoft fucks up and releases rushed and buggy updates I can say they did a bad job.

My big question here is, what the hell is going on in Windows to cause all these issues to begin with? In order for software to break, something has to change.

What did Microsoft change, and why, in order to break file type association for certain programs (such as Notepad)?

What did they change to make iCloud no longer work?

What did they change to break the Intel graphics driver?

What did they change to break duplicate file detection for zip?

Considering what a mess Windows is, I wouldn't be surprised if not even Microsoft knows why some things break.

this is giving me multiple reasons to stick to windows 7 and even if i buy another prebuilt pc which i plan on doing ill just install windows 7 on it and get custom built drivers for that mobo that it uses and ill be good to go and i dont care is microshit wont support windows 7 in 2020 cause i dont really need their help anyways since i dont get very many viruses and all i need are just virus scanners and im good to go as well.

could steam also have been effected by this stupid problem since steam uses win32 based systems and if it has then just stick to windows 8 for the time being until they get their heads out of their asses and stop trying to screw us over

Hah and I actually use WMP occasionally too. They haven't updated it for a long time too. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Hah and I actually use WMP occasionally too. They haven't updated it for a long time too. 

same here i use windows media player for music on windows 7 and my windows 8.1 laptop i cant stand the god awful groove music app and when i did have windows 10 i did edit the registry by forcing it to have windows photo viewer which is so much nicer than the photo app and i did the same thing for windows 8.1 as well

2 minutes ago, billyhatcher643 said:

same here i use windows media player for music on windows 7 and my windows 8.1 laptop i cant stand the god awful groove music app and when i did have windows 10 i did edit the registry by forcing it to have windows photo viewer which is so much nicer than the photo app and i did the same thing for windows 8.1 as well

I mainly use foobar2000 for music but sometimes fire up WMP when checking messing with some tracks I work. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

14 hours ago, Schnoz said:

Sorry. Gates is a nice guy who's donated most of his wealth to good causes (I really liked Reinventing the Toilet). But I just had to make this joke.

Epic Rap Battles of History wants its joke back...

20 hours ago, akialwayz said:

Basically microsoft is sneakly trying to encourage people to ditch win 32 progroms and use win64 and uwp apps.A little bit of time factor is also there

If this were the case you do an apple and just set a date to block them from

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

19 hours ago, akialwayz said:

No it wont,because 70-80% of people are more comfortable with windows and macOS and linux is complicated for them.Enthusiasts and Tech people use Linux and we know which linux version to use for our usecase but normal people see different versions of linux and dont even bother.I'm not saying linux wont gain any new followers(ubuntu and similar distributions will) but the complex distribution and non gui linux distros wont see much uptick

Honestly, in the cases where you have a supported hardware Linux can be even simpler than Windows or MacOS. Do you even used it once? 

1 hour ago, OnyxArmos said:

So never? ?

With supported hardware I mean the most used, but not the very cutting edge.
Example: RX 2080Ti day-one release, it's obvious Windows has the support first, you would have to deal with issues.

Well anyway now it's supported, the issue would just be installing the driver because in Ubuntu they are not preinstalled, and nouveau which is loaded by default would just complain about it (since it's the worst driver in the world currently on Linux and I don't know if that would happen, but I imagine it having issues with RTX) 
So you would have to boot with "nomodeset" in order to use the VESA drivers and then installing the real NVIDIA drivers.
Don't know actually if that's true as I said, It's just my imagination. On Manjaro you wouldn't have issues since NVIDIA is installed by default even on boot.

More very common issues would be on laptops. The ACPI to be very bugged with Linux causing ACPI-releated functionality to not work properly.
Ex. Sleep, function keys, two graphics cards.
Not a linux-releated fault though, even if that could be solved also from the Linux-side of things, they already made vendor-specific drivers to solve this issue, only works on "common" laptops, again. Like old thinkpads. From my experience I found Dells to support Linux very well. The worst are withouit doubts  HP and Acer. but probably because there are too many models out there one more messy then another, and vendors tend to not care about a working ACPI on other OS'es than Windows. Not sure if something changed positively. They could be working fine though, I owned an Acer based on Haswell and it was working nicely.

Desktop are more likely to have less trouble with Linux. Everything in Linux constantly changes so for new hardware you would have to find an updated distro, shouldn't be an issue at all because typically the support for new CPU's or other hardware/chipset is added to the Linux kernel even years before their release. Exception obviously for GPU's... I have to say except the open source ones like AMD, they do a great job.

So well I just listed the worst cases where you would almost surely have issues with Linux, but it's not always the case. For normal users they wouldn't have to touch the terminal once for basic usage, and even when playing games.

14 hours ago, Lukyp said:

I have to say except the open source ones like AMD, they do a great job.

I heard quite the opposite crapvidia being the exception with their proprietary troublemaker... :D