More Windows 10 woes. This time, it breaks Windows Media Player and other Win32 applications

Source: Ars Technica, Thurrott, Microsoft

This is the kind of bug that leaves me scratching my head, wondering what changed to break such a thing, and why. The various old and new Windows media stacks are certainly complicated beasts, but it's not clear what the October 2018 Update even changed in this area. At least this time around, it doesn't seem that the bug was reported before 1809 actually shipped, though it's hard to be definitive about this given the difficulty in finding anything in the Feedback Hub bug reporting tool. Microsoft does promise to fix the bug, but the timeframe is vaguely open-ended: it will be "in an upcoming release."

Oh boy! What happened to software quality control and the telemetry data they've collected which promises seamless experience? Are they waiting till 2019?

image.png.e8d5a59eeaca83d59598e3927b33fc9f.png

Since Microsoft themselves are aware of the issue, why bother releasing a buggy update? Are they simply trying to hit a deadline? Also, not being able to change the default program sucks. I hope whoever is in charge of software quality control have a trip to the HR because they're doing a shoddy job. But to give Microsoft some credit, they made the 1809 update unavailable to me. 

image.png.c037841568299fd009fba8bd5b82ea08.png

Edited by captain_to_fire

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Basically microsoft is sneakly trying to encourage people to ditch win 32 progroms and use win64 and uwp apps.A little bit of time factor is also there

2 minutes ago, akialwayz said:

to ditch win 32 progroms and use win64 and uwp apps

You're confusing the win32 API with 32-bit apps -- they are not the same thing. You can have 64-bit apps and still use win32.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

You're confusing the win32 API with 32-bit apps -- they are not the same thing. You can have 64-bit apps and still use win32.

My mistake I didnt word it well.Win64 api is the next/new standard(even though it was released way back in 2011) in mordern programs as compared to old win32 Api.

6 minutes ago, Deus Voltage said:

Good, this should hopefully increase Linux users. 

No it wont,because 70-80% of people are more comfortable with windows and macOS and linux is complicated for them.Enthusiasts and Tech people use Linux and we know which linux version to use for our usecase but normal people see different versions of linux and dont even bother.I'm not saying linux wont gain any new followers(ubuntu and similar distributions will) but the complex distribution and non gui linux distros wont see much uptick

Well my tablet (finally stuck at 100% features installed after 11 hours-1607 to 1803) can't go above 1803 either...so might as well count 1809 as still unreleased its still that bad.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

7 minutes ago, akialwayz said:

My mistake I didnt word it well.Win64 api is the next/new standard(even though it was released way back in 2011) in mordern programs as compared to old win32 Api.

Still, what does it matter? Even if an app was programmed to use win64 API wouldn't make it a UWP-app, so why do you care?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

Still, what does it matter? Even if an app was programmed to use win64 API wouldn't make it a UWP-app, so why do you care?

i dont care but microsoft cares.They want more people using UWP based apps so they can profit but if people keeps using win32 and win64 based apps(which most programs use) they cant profit.They cant eradicate all win32 and win64 based apps/software overnight,so they are eradicating oldest one first by method like this to force devolopers to use mordern standards/api(UWP)?look dude,i dont want to argue with you,I'm just saying that microsoft does shady shit like this.

Really microshit? What the actual fuck are you doing...

You make a promise and fail basically instantly, and the problems are actually getting worse.

6 months between releases is just not long enough. I mean 1809 was meant to release in september, it's almost december and it's still broken.

Let's say they get it fixed half december, that leaves just 3,5 months for 1903, that's not long enough!

It's rushing to the next deadline, failing, fixing crap for months and then rushing to the next one that's even shorter. No way they will keep that up.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

You make a promise and fail basically instantly, and the problems are actually getting worse.

6 months between releases is just not long enough. I mean 1809 was meant to release in september, it's almost december and it's still broken.

Let's say they get it fixed half december, that leaves just 3,5 months for 1903, that's not long enough!

It's rushing to the next deadline, failing, fixing crap for months and then rushing to the next one that's even shorter. No way they will keep that up.

Jeeze dude, its just media player. 

I thought they stopped rolling out 1809 until it was fixed? Or did they recently start it up again? 

This is also why you don't force updates to download on your PC unless it's actually pushed to your windows update

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Err...it was called the "October Update."  Releasing it in September would defeat the purpose of calling it October Update.  xD 

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

3 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Jeeze dude, its just media player. 

Yea i know, but that's not the point i want to make, it's just the fact that once again something is broken and we once again need to wait for a fix for it. I mean not every update can be perfect, i get that, but it's just 1 problem after another and it just doesn't seem to stop.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

3 minutes ago, Techstorm970 said:

Err...it was called the "October Update."  Releasing it in September would defeat the purpose of calling it October Update.  xD 

Yea, but the number still implies that it should have been released in september because 09 = month of the year which is september.

They should either have released it in september or changed the number to 1810. But nope...

53 minutes ago, Deus Voltage said:

Probably not.  Linux ain't mainstream enough.  It's more likely that people will switch to macOS or ditch desktops and laptops altogether if Microsoft can't get it together.

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

Kinda sad a giant like Microsoft can’t get a seasonal update right, then again I haven’t had issues with any of the mentioned bugs so guess I won the lottery

8 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Yea i know, but that's not the point i want to make, it's just the fact that once again something is broken and we once again need to wait for a fix for it. I mean not every update can be perfect, i get that, but it's just 1 problem after another and it just doesn't seem to stop.

And again these problems are not as wide spread as people make it out to be. 

I dont want the same thread every time a bug is found.

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

And again these problems are not as wide spread as people make it out to be. 

True, it's not a widespread problem, and the problem itself isn't a big one, but it's just another derpy thing about windows that is broken and needs to be fixed.

Also, i just thought of this, microsoft wants everybody on the latest version, which is partially why they like to force updates. But i doubt a lot of people are on 1809 because of microsoft keep holding back the update because it's broken. So their aggressive update schedule/idea sort of falls apart when a new update is broken, which is the case, again...

They used to be proud of the amount of people being on the latest version, but i doubt they still are proud of it today.

7 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

I dont want the same thread every time a bug is found.

I think people just want their big company bashing fix until the next Apple/Intel/Nvidia thread comes along. It's the circle of life LTT

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Man I've had it with this forum! Stop posting all these Windows October Updates threads individually and just make a mega thread full of all the stories already!

Windows October Update FAIL Thread.

/s

This is actually ridiculous now. I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed Microsoft.

1 hour ago, Deus Voltage said:

I've been trying to install Ubuntu the last few days...There's a lot of tutorials that don't include the part about creating a small EFI boot partition, anyway, it's something foreign but I'm keen to learn. This update makes me wonder if the whole tech landscape could shift to Linux.

Last time I've used WMP was Windows XP, after that I just use MPC or VLC.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

What if... This is all a way to destroy windows???

✨FNIGE✨