[UPDATE: Vote Passed!] Holy Mole-y - Metric redefines 4 units of measurement

rcmaehl
10 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

lmao, oh yeah... She's a bit brutal tho. "I'd suggest you don't get shot." - FailSafe

Exactly, she's so sassy. Think about it though, GLaDOS would definitely also say that.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

On 11/13/2018 at 3:07 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

I thought that everything besides the kilogram had already been redefined to properties (not physical objects)?  And in fact, I thought that had already happened recently... so the Ampere, mole, and Kelvin still were based on physical things then too?  And what exactly is happening to them now? 

Personally, I'd like to see the amp completely removed as a fundamental unit and replaced with the coulomb.  Makes a lot more sense to me.  After all, when it comes to other fundamental units, we have distance and time, not speed and time.

Change to an SI unit is good if there's a natural, repeatable, fairly incorruptible means to do so.

The meter is tied to the distance light travels in 1 second(albeit divided by 300 million).  The second isn't a particularly good thing as it's derived from Earth's day/night cycle, and that does not get derived the same way on another planet(or even on this one).  But at least the speed of light is the speed of light.  Normalize other factors and a meter should always be the same.

Thought the kg was tied to water at 40C (waters max expansion temp); how much water at that temp in the volume = kg (1 liter of water = 1 kg.  1ml of water = 1gram.  1000kg of water is 1m3), but that relies on particular air pressure.  Then there was some hoopla about the kg being tied to a shinny ball in someone safe, which seemed like a step back to me compared to pure water/vol @temp & pressure. 

I suspect that it'll be the most insignificant of changes in everyday grocery shopping & filling up at the gas station of the one one thousandths of a quarter pennies worth sort of thing; which just means that the mole is still going to be a pulled out of arse BS unit.

I'm watching a show from the UK, and they said this guy weighed over 30 stone
then they weighed him and said he weighed 212 kilograms
then they weighed him the 2nd time and said he lost 12 pounds

They literally use three different forms of weight measurement in the UK?? I can't believe people say the US is bad when it comes to measurements...

58 minutes ago, poochyena said:

They literally use three different forms of weight measurement in the UK?? I can't believe people say the US is bad when it comes to measurements...

US influence on media, everyone tries to appeal to the largest market.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

40 minutes ago, mr moose said:

US influence on media, everyone tries to appeal to the largest market.

But they used all three in a single episode.

18 minutes ago, poochyena said:

But they used all three in a single episode.

yep.   a very long time ago I worked with an old bloke who only used imperial ,  As a result I still call a cubic meter of sand a yard of sand sometimes. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

8 minutes ago, lufihengr said:

That is their current conversion rate. Imperial units were based of the commonly used measurements that they had back in the middle ages ex. 1 pound (Avoirdupois pound) is equal to 7,000 grains. 

9 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

That is their current conversion rate. Imperial units were based of the commonly used measurements that they had back in the middle ages ex. 1 pound (Avoirdupois pound) is equal to 7,000 grains. 

Which was later converted to metric values, this was done for imperial to be consistant and accurate. 

12 hours ago, poochyena said:

French Canada uses both.

Lbs, inches, feet, still widespread.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

6 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Remember kids, Hitler liked metric and being precise

(Pls don't ban me mods)

He also liked puppies, oh and he also drank water. Let that sink in :D 

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

He also liked puppies, oh and he also drank water. Let that sink in :D 

What does that sink want now?! :P

Being an Aussie who only officially learnt Metric in school, learning Imperial at home, I can say this on the whole thing: Metric is best for being precise and large numbers, Imperial works best for being "horseshoes and hand grenades" close where you need a rough figure that is somewhat easy to intuit in general or colloquial speech.

Like, I know the ceilings in my current house are roughly 10ft ones, but the size of the block the house sits on is 18m wide and 50m long (oughta be 20x50, but about a decade ago a neighbour on the corner basically stole a 2m-wide strip due to poor measurements from a surveyor not accounting for GPS drift relative to the ground).

Personally, I'm glad these specific measurements in the start are getting redefined to cosmic constants of some kind, though I wish they went to the amount of Silicon-27 atoms in a perfect sphere as the definition of a kilogram. Oh well.

On 11/13/2018 at 7:02 PM, poochyena said:

The issue is we only went to metric fully a decade or so ago. A lot of adult still haven't ever learned metric and many middle ground people like myself can use both. The again i think the whole way they brought metric in fully was rat arsed backwards but thats me.

On 11/12/2018 at 12:48 PM, Dissitesuxba11s said:

[snip]

US imperial units are defined using metric units and have been for over 100 years. So this affects the US too, technically.

2 minutes ago, dangeredwolf said:

US imperial units are defined using metric units and have been for over 100 years. So this affects the US too, technically.

Yup, this was addressed a couple of post ago but thanks for the input.

6 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

Mind if I add this to the original post?

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

3 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

just go add, LOL. no need to ask me for something I didn't make o_o

But if I don't ask then I'm a dirty reddit forum reposter who just wants upvotes post likes

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Update! It appears the vote has passed! Death to Kg, Long live Kg!

HUZZAH!!! THANKS TO THE VOTE, I'M 0.2 GRAMS LIGHTER! THANKS, OBAMA!

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

On 11/12/2018 at 12:48 PM, Dissitesuxba11s said:

In all seriousness, I wonder how this will affect commonly known equations like calculating Celsius from Kelvin by subtracting 273.15. Maybe it will be subtracting it by 273.14?

Even if they were changing the measurement like that, they would be far more precise. Changing the hundredths place would wreak utter havoc.

But the way they're changing it isn't by changing the unit itself, they're just changing what it's based on.

On 11/13/2018 at 1:45 PM, MoonSpot said:

-The second isn't a particularly good thing as it's derived from Earth's day/night cycle, and that does not get derived the same way on another planet (or even on this one).

-Then there was some hoopla about the kg being tied to a shinny ball in someone's safe, which seemed like a step back to me compared to pure water/vol @temp & pressure. 

The second is defined by the frequency of radiation emitted by a specific process in a Cesium-133 atom, which I believe is exact. That's why we can have atomic clocks that are orders of magnitude better timekeepers than even the Solar system.

And that thing with the ball actually has very little to do with the physical object. The point of the ball is so that the reference is reproducible -If you want to measure precisely a kilogram, then you make a sphere to the specifications and it weighs precisely one kilogram. The definition we just dropped, however, is based on the weight of a specific block stored away in a room somewhere.

It was originally defined with water, but that's just too volatile. Physical systems have countless little things that you just can't control enough to make good, rigid definitions from them.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.