Parents!

Daddy Senpai

First off I love my parents but when it comes to tech they annoy me so much. For example I've just wired a new router and switch across the house so I can have my own personal WiFi and Ethernet in my room as the modem we have is across the house from where the pc is, while my mum saw me do this she decide to ask if she can have the same thing, my response was why, a very natural response. My mum replied with so I can have my own personal WiFi and Ethernet, I continues to explain that there was no need as you computer in your study is already on Ethernet and you have the Broadband Supplier Modem/Router to use as I will be using my own. My mum was confused by this and said but she will have to use mine to get good signal on WiFi as I'm moving the access point, I then went into the complicated stuff stating there will be 2 access points in the house, one wont be just shut off if I add another access point to it. After a few minutes my mum decides to stop asking questions and went away, unbeknownst to me she decided to order a new switch and new router as she thought that it was the best thing for her to do, even though the original modem/router is in the other room from her bedroom and study and that her computers and TV devices are already connected by Ethernet.

I now have a switch and modem sat in a cupboard doing nothing, I love my parents.

Does anyone else get this?

CPU: RYZEN 5 2600. GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB. RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2400MHz. Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450M-A. Storage: 240GB Adata SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda.CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X. PSU: Corsair 450W VS Series. Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Blue).

11 minutes ago, Daddy Senpai said:

Does anyone else get this?

Fortunately, I don't. My father is dealing with computer and network related stuff for a living so he keeps this stuff sorted out. I have had some interesting discussions with relatives though where I was left speechless by the inability to comprehend basic stuff about computers or networking. And those weren't stupid people. It is truly astonishing.

2 minutes ago, NeuesTestament said:

Fortunately, I don't. My father is dealing with computer and network related stuff for a living so he keeps this stuff sorted out. I have had some interesting discussions with relatives though where I was left speechless by the inability to comprehend basic stuff about computers or networking. And those weren't stupid people. It is truly astonishing.

I know what you mean, my dad is a lot worse then my mum, if my locks his phone he freaks out so much as he thinks he's lost his phone forever (Timed Lock Out btw). my grandparents know more than my parents when it comes to certain things with tech and it amazes me.

CPU: RYZEN 5 2600. GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB. RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2400MHz. Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450M-A. Storage: 240GB Adata SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda.CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X. PSU: Corsair 450W VS Series. Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Blue).

I mean no, it sounds like you've done a terrible job at explaining.

Also you don't need another router behind a router.

And why would you need a personal wifi?  The thing you should have done is just set up another AP to be seamless.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I gave my parents my powerline ethernet adapters so they could hook up their smart TV to the internet since they don't have wifi.  And a few years ago I helped my dad choose a new PC when his bit the dust.  That's about all I've had to help them with.

3 hours ago, Yoinkerman said:

I agree,

If your mother has enough knowledge to identify compatibility and purchase hardware like switches and routers, she should be able to comprehend basic networking terminology and workings.

Just my two cents though, it's your problem at the end of the day.

Im like one of those cartoon gremlins, but instead of breaking stuff i set it up, clean it, configure it and update it without people noticing. My parents do pretty much everything on secured Android tablets so theres not much to do.

8 hours ago, Daddy Senpai said:

her

maybe she wants a wireless ipad

why not be nice to your parents and help them out

parents know best ;)

18 hours ago, Yoinkerman said:

Also you don't need another router behind a router.

And why would you need a personal wifi?  The thing you should have done is just set up another AP to be seamless.

14 hours ago, Netivity said:

I agree,

If your mother has enough knowledge to identify compatibility and purchase hardware like switches and routers, she should be able to comprehend basic networking terminology and workings.

Just my two cents though, it's your problem at the end of the day.

i probably explained it wrong in my post it was a AP that I was using (I call APs routers I know they are not the same, I'm dyslexic and dyspraxic for me to remember things I name them differently) , the problem I have is while my mum knows these things exist she doesn't really know that they do, as she bought a router instead of a AP, while i have no problem installing them, I tried to explain to her that it would be a waste as where she does things she is a lot closer to the original source, I was only installing mine so I could get better reception.  I hope that clears things up.

i said i wanted to be a game developer and my parents bought me a ps4

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

My grandmother used to use the email service proved by her small town isp that my grandfather part owned, so they never actually paid for internet. To her, email was internet. Now she's completely baffled that she doesn't need to pay google for "internet" not that we have her on gmail. She's now very confused as to how everyone doesnt have this free internet. Otherwise my parents (Dad at least) are about 80% tech savy.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

my step dad is tech savvy when it comes to plugging things in, my mom can really only navigate to the things she needs to do, and when sonething happens i am there to fix it ?

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

That's why I just did my shit when they were gone back when I lived at home. No having to explain anything because they weren't even aware that anything changed on their end.

8 hours ago, Daddy Senpai said:

i probably explained it wrong in my post it was a AP that I was using (I call APs routers I know they are not the same, I'm dyslexic and dyspraxic for me to remember things I name them differently) , the problem I have is while my mum knows these things exist she doesn't really know that they do, as she bought a router instead of a AP, while i have no problem installing them, I tried to explain to her that it would be a waste as where she does things she is a lot closer to the original source, I was only installing mine so I could get better reception.  I hope that clears things up.

Yep, all good.

Was just confused lol.

Yeah I had to explain to my grandma what the difference between an ethernet jack and a phone jack is. oof.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

No. The logic is if it's not needed, money isn't going to be wasted. My mom would have used that wasted cash on something useful like food.

I'm like the got to tech guy for my Family and cousins. Pretty whenever there is a gathering, I always end up fixing up  problem on a bunch of phones and PCs