Ray tracing and Crypo Currencies

To the best of my knowledge, Nvidia are implementing separate physical cores on their chips to handle ray tracing. Presumably, these new RTX cores will not be as efficient for crypto currency mining? If so, would it be fair to speculate that as ray tracing takes up a larger dominance in the GPU market*, crypto currency miners will have less of an incentive to buy these ray tracing cards and hence GPU prices could decrease?

Purely asking out of interest – please correct me if I am wrong regarding my assumptions.

*Assuming that ray tracing has sufficient buy-in from gamers and developers to take-off.

CPU Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.20GHz
Motherboard ASUSTeK PRIME Z270-A (LGA1151)
RAM Corsair Vengenance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz C18
GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING
Storage 465GB KINGSTON SA2000M8500G, Games: 2x 250GB SSD in RAID 0, Documents: 2x 2TB HDD in RAID 1
PSU 800W Corsair Something…
OS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

We really don't know how RTX will perform on crypto. Someone will probably build a new mining app that takes advantage of it and that will probably be very fast.

In any case, isn't mining kind of dead? I thought it wasn't profitable anymore.

it's time

10 minutes ago, RollTime said:

>Someone will probably build a new mining app

>isn't mining kind of dead?

You kind of answered your own question :D 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Crypto value is pretty low at the moment, so that has a knock on effect of depressing GPU miners, in more ways than one.

The new features are dedicated to implementing specific functions. It is unlikely they would be particularly useful for any of the mainstream cryptos that already exist without significant code changes, if it is even possible at all. I wouldn't worry about it.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

You kind of answered your own question :D 

As in mining is not dead because someone will make a new app?

It's not very profitable at the moment, but RTX might change that. Also, someone dedicated will make one anyway, if only to see what RTX can do.

it's time

Just now, RollTime said:

As in mining is not dead because someone will make a new app?

It's not very profitable at the moment, but RTX might change that. Also, someone dedicated will make one anyway, if only to see what RTX can do.

It will most like become profitable with a new app, a new currency, a new breakthrough in something. It's (unfortunately or fortunately depending on your standpoint) always going up or down, so there's no telling what the future holds for mining. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

shinycoin. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

44 minutes ago, RollTime said:

We really don't know how RTX will perform on crypto. Someone will probably build a new mining app that takes advantage of it and that will probably be very fast.

In any case, isn't mining kind of dead? I thought it wasn't profitable anymore.

Depends where you live. If you live in central asia f.e. and pay around 0,03ct per kWh it's still profitable.

the ray tracing cores will be 100% unused in mining to someone develops an algorithm and coin to mine on them, GPU mining uses memory and cuda cores, both the Tensor Cores and Ray Tracing cores are unused