is masters GPA different then bachelor GPA?

saif96

i emailed this professor about getting a masters in my uni but the problem is i have 2.6GPA and the minimum is 3.0 so i asked if it would still be possible getting my masters and he replied with the following...

yes, applicants with an undergraduate GPA between 2.5 – 3.0 are able to apply and can be offered provisional admission if qualifying on other criteria as well. If admitted, it means that students must achieve a 3.0 or better GPA at the end of the first semester; i.e. three courses. I hope this helps with your consideration.

i really dont think i can get a 3.0 when i already have +100 credits, i think ill be safe if the masters GPA is separate from bachelor

can someone please help me better understand it so i dont overthink it when ill try to sleep? ill ask my advisor about this tomorrow 

2 hours ago, saif96 said:

i emailed this professor about getting a masters in my uni but the problem is i have 2.6GPA and the minimum is 3.0 so i asked if it would still be possible getting my masters and he replied with the following...

yes, applicants with an undergraduate GPA between 2.5 – 3.0 are able to apply and can be offered provisional admission if qualifying on other criteria as well. If admitted, it means that students must achieve a 3.0 or better GPA at the end of the first semester; i.e. three courses. I hope this helps with your consideration.

i really dont think i can get a 3.0 when i already have +100 credits, i think ill be safe if the masters GPA is separate from bachelor

can someone please help me better understand it so i dont overthink it when ill try to sleep? ill ask my advisor about this tomorrow 

My University does not accept any grad students with gpa less than 3.5.

Your gpa shouldn't be less than 3.0. 

To me <3.0 means the student spent most of his/her college days partying, drinking, or fornicating rather than actually being a student and studying. 

Of course you might suffer grave sickness or have work burdens but in such cases it is a students responsibility to either cut down the academic couseload or his own job hours. Most universities have measures to safeguard such cases of student suffering serious illness so their gpa do not take a hit. 

In other words, there is no reason why any schools should accept students less than a 3.0 gpa

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Yeah from my understanding of his statement it means that your first year semester's GPA must be over 3.0, not your overall's.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

37 minutes ago, wasab said:

My University does not accept any grad students with gpa less than 3.5.

Your gpa shouldn't be less than 3.0. 

To me <3.0 means the student spent most of his/her college days partying, drinking, or fornicating rather than actually being a student and studying. 

Of course you might suffer grave sickness or have work burdens but in such cases it is a students responsibility to either cut down the academic couseload or his own job hours. Most universities have measures to safeguard such cases of student suffering serious illness so their gpa do not take a hit. 

In other words, there is no reason why any schools should accept students less than a 3.0 gpa

Or he works too much to pay for his schooling.

I read somewhere else that you're graduating debt free due partly from your parents, not everyone is as privileged... 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

13 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

Or he works too much to pay for his schooling.

I read somewhere else that you're graduating debt free due partly from your parents, not everyone is as privileged... 

Not an execuse. Take just one class a semester or take some breaks and work for a few years to save uo enough for school. Many public colleges especially the community ones are very affordable that even the lower income groups should be able to afford it no problem. If your country is like the USA, the government heavily subsidize the tution of those in the lower incomes. If your country is in Europe, chances are that it is free.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

GPA = sum of all QPA earned / sum of all credit hours taken (including failed courses), regardless of level. 

Someone with a <3.0 GPA is not likely to be successful in a master's program. Those that have exceptions might, but the reality is that a required passing grade is a B at the Masters level. People change, though. Students learn how to learn and learn how to work harder. I wasn't ready for college when I went at 18. Now in my early 30s, I would survive a Master's level work so much better. I have literally no interest in it. 

55 minutes ago, descendency said:

GPA = sum of all QPA earned / sum of all credit hours taken (including failed courses), regardless of level. 

Someone with a <3.0 GPA is not likely to be successful in a master's program. Those that have exceptions might, but the reality is that a required passing grade is a B at the Masters level. People change, though. Students learn how to learn and learn how to work harder. I wasn't ready for college when I went at 18. Now in my early 30s, I would survive a Master's level work so much better. I have literally no interest in it. 

the reason why im at 2.6 is because the first 2-3 semsters are really unfair they teach you general classes like english, math, science, history. classes that has nothing to do with your major and for some reason the general classes are way stricter and harder then major classes

i think that in major courses, the teachers are free to teach us in how they want to teach us, but in general courses teachers have to follow the guideline of the university thats why alot of people get bad marks on their first semsters

6 hours ago, saif96 said:

the reason why im at 2.6 is because the first 2-3 semsters are really unfair they teach you general classes like english, math, science, history. classes that has nothing to do with your major and for some reason the general classes are way stricter and harder then major classes

i think that in major courses, the teachers are free to teach us in how they want to teach us, but in general courses teachers have to follow the guideline of the university thats why alot of people get bad marks on their first semsters

Not an execuse. If you decide to take a class, you need to put every ounce of effort at it else don't bloody take it. Why would you want to take a class in which you are determine to be lazy and bumped in the end?

You take these same subjects in elementary and high schools. Have you seen the kids complaining? 

Ask the proffesor/instructors to give you a clear grading crtitea and do whatever it takes to earn a passing grade from him/her. If it is a philopshy class and your proffesor is a hardcore communist who wants you to write that marixism is the greatest ideology on Earth, then that's what you should bloody write regardless what your personal belief is. The final mark is all it matters. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

10 hours ago, wasab said:

Are you serious? There are a lot of technical degrees where good marks are very hard to get.

Only ~20% will get a GPA of higher than 3.0 in computer science at my university. I really try hard but even a 2.7 GPA seems impossible for me.

When I was in grad school the grad school GPA was different from the undergrad GPA.  That being said (for me) if you fall below a 3.0 in grad school you get kicked out of the program.  You might want to check and see what the grade requirements are for your program.  Generally if you have less than a 3.0 in undergrad you're going to have a hard time maintaining that in grad school. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

9 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

Are you serious? There are a lot of technical degrees where good marks are very hard to get.

Only ~20% will get a GPA of higher than 3.0 in computer science at my university. I really try hard but even a 2.7 GPA seems impossible for me.

Not all classes are technical. Some are outright BS classes that are out there just for the purpose of an easy A. 

I have a class in my University call natural disasters that teach, well about earthquakes, nuclear meltdown, and tsunamis. The proffesor literally gave out a copy of the exam to students and allow open discussion during the actual exams. 

These should pop up the gpa. I literally don't see how anyone would get a <3.0 if they aren't screwing around.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Hard to get a good grade if your school does the cheapo route where they write the very bad book, said book has unfinished examples and typos, you don't have the book you need for an entire month, the teacher is condescending towards the entire class, and so on.  You can't always blame a student when said issues are a common thing in colleges.

Sounds like something common in for profit colleges.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

This is a question for the admissions department at your university.

At mine, if a student wanted to continue on from their BS onto an MS, there were two options. One was a 'co-term' program where you take MS level classes starting towards the end of your junior year, which count for both BS and MS credit. Then, when you graduate, you have one GPA covering both your BS and MS classes. I believe there were strict program admissions requirements for this option. The benefit here is that you would spend an extra 2 semesters on top of your 4 year degree (so, 5 total) and have two degrees.

The other method is two separate degrees, where you apply to the school again to be admitted as a MS student. In that case, you would have separate GPAs for the degrees, and would take the full time to do each individual degree.

I'll also caution you by saying grad school (at a different university) was another order of magnitude in difficulty for me-- I had a stellar undergrad gpa and struggled significantly in grad school. Profs and books expect you to do outside research (eg library, other books, etc) to understand the material; you likely won't get all the information you need from the required course materials, lectures, and assignments. I'm not saying it's impossible or that you can't do it. I'm saying that it will be hard work-- more satisfying, in a way, because you're learning what you want to in order to specialize in a field you enjoy.

as much as i know, it greatly depends on the country, unversity and so on and so forth. there are some who sees them as the same, others sees them different. like for example, at my university, they are definitely different. but anyway, i see you've got much more educated responses. https://delicerecipes.com/instant-pot-beautiful-spinach-soup-with-shrimps/

At my university grad school GPA is separate from undergrad.  I only had a 2.8 undergrad GPA but my master's GPA was 3.5.  Every graduate program I've ever heard of will have it's own GPA.  No one cares what your undergrad GPA is once you have a graduate degree.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

On 6/17/2018 at 4:36 PM, saif96 said:

Those general classes are there to make you a more rounded individual. That's why you to go university, and not a technical college.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red