Microsoft quietly announces Visual Studio 2019

AlTech

Microsoft has quietly announced that they've started working on the next Visual Studio product, Visual Studio 2019.

This will be the next major version of Visual Studio and will be the successor of Visual Studio 2017.

There's no preview for it at this time and it's very very early days for VS2019 development. They're still planning VS2019 and also how they want to proceed with Visual Studio for Mac.

This is entirely understandable and reasonable considering how they are on two completely different code bases with VS for Mac being a modified Xamarin Studio for Mac and Visual Studio 2017 being a Win32 program like it's predecessor.

It is not known at this time if VS 2019 will be a Win32 program or a UWP program but I'd learn towards similar Win32 style program at least for this product. 

Since we launched Visual Studio 2017 in March of that year, it has become our most popular Visual Studio release ever. Your feedback has helped our team publish seven updates since our initial GA, which have improved solution load performance, build performance, and unit test discovery performance. We’ve also made Visual Studio 2017 our most accessible releases ever, helping developers with low-vision or no-vision be more productive.

Now, it’s time to start to look at what comes next.

The short answer is Visual Studio 2019

Because the Developer Tools teams (especially .NET and Roslyn) do so much work in GitHub, you’ll start to see check-ins that indicate that we’re laying the foundation for Visual Studio 2019, and we’re now in the early planning phase of Visual Studio 2019 and Visual Studio for Mac. We remain committed to making Visual Studio faster, more reliable, more productive for individuals and teams, easier to use, and easier to get started with. Expect more and better refactorings, better navigation, more capabilities in the debugger, faster solution load, and faster builds. But also expect us to continue to explore how connected capabilities like Live Share can enable developers to collaborate in real time from across the world and how we can make cloud scenarios like working with online source repositories more seamless. Expect us to push the boundaries of individual and team productivity with capabilities like IntelliCode, where Visual Studio can use Azure to train and deliver AI-powered assistance into the IDE.

Our goal with this next release is to make it a simple, easy upgrade for everyone – for example, Visual Studio 2019 previews will install side by side with Visual Studio 2017 and won’t require a major operating system upgrade.

As for timing of the next release, we’ll say more in the coming months, but be assured we want to deliver Visual Studio 2019 quickly and iteratively. We’ve learned a lot from the cadence we’ve used with Visual Studio 2017, and one of the biggest things we have learned is that we can do a lot of good work if we focus on continually delivering and listening to your feedback. There are no bits to preview yet, but the best way to ensure you are on the cutting edge will be to watch this blog and to subscribe to the Visual Studio 2017 Preview.

So yeah, cool stuff although unfortunately there is no preview for it and we're not getting a preview for at least several months. I think the announcement of this was fairly pre-mature. We didn't know too much about VS 2017 until a few months before it came out. 

Hopefully VS 2019 is more cross-platform and has better feature parity between PC and Mac versions as right now they are 2 completely different products with a few similarities and similar branding.

I'm still happy they have the Free Community Tier of VS since it enables Students, OSS devs and small teams to use VS without selling their soul to the devil costing an arm and a leg :P.

Source: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2018/06/06/whats-next-for-visual-studio/

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Hopefully, and I really mean hopefully, it will delete leftover files, like package cache, and gazillion other files. If it breaks Iet me dl it again. I swear, VS is one of the worst experiences I had with programs management. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I would not be surprised to see at least an UWP variant to be honest. They are starting to push the platform more and more as Windows 10 is slowly replacing everything else. Office 2019 is ditching the Win32 OneNote, I would guess the rest will follow suit eventually.

Current Build: SD-DESK-07

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy // PSU: SeaSonic SS-650RM // Motherboard: P8Z77-I DELUXE // CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k // Cooler: Corsair H80i // RAM: Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 2X8GB DDR3 1600MHz // SSD: Crucial M500 240GB // Video: EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti SC 2GB

One thing I've always wondered, do they use VS2017 to make VS2019?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Most likely.

7 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Yeah, and after the mother bears it's offspring, it is then fed to said offspring.

They feed VS2019 the remains of VS2017

It's honestly a no-brainer that they'd be working on 2019 at some point.

The question I want answered regarding the whole Windows/Mac thing is why not just unify all of the versions and have VS Code be the main thing going forward?

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

11 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Yup.

3 hours ago, PocketNerd said:

It's honestly a no-brainer that they'd be working on 2019 at some point.

The question I want answered regarding the whole Windows/Mac thing is why not just unify all of the versions and have VS Code be the main thing going forward?

VS Code is just a code editor. Visual Studio is a proper IDE. If they could make Visual Studio open source and cross-platform then that would be great but we all know how Microsoft feels about open source.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),