Korea FTC fines 3 game companies over Loot Boxes

NumLock21

The Korea FTC has fine 3 game company over Loot Boxes. 3 of them are NextFloor at $4,600, Netmarble at $55,000, and Nexon got the huge chunk at $875,000.

The Korean FTC argued that consumers believed the odds of obtaining each piece were the same, when in fact some of the pieces would only be present in 0.5% of loot boxes. They highlighted the case of one player who spent $430 trying to get the pieces as an example of the effect that advertising was having on players.

“The FTC’s actions have signaled alarm across the Korean game sector,”, the Korea Herald piece adds, “as it could hurt the sales of in-game items — particularly randomized items, which users tend to continuously buy until they get a desired result — that contribute immensely to profits.”

Maybe with this, they might start to use their talent on making good games instead of relying on these stupid Loot Boxes.

https://kotaku.com/korean-companies-fined-950-000-over-loot-boxes-1825129253

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

A player spending $430... Well, I'd say, it's time for the govs to step in and stop all these loot-boxes bullshit.

It will be really up to NO good and it would make the game-companies lazy af and only releasing half or whole-assed games.

Lootboxes are the digital tumor to games.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Nexon been using lootboxes since 2008 or a little longer than that. Surprised it took so long for them to get fined lol

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

We brought this on ourselves, we keep buying loot boxes and microtransactions

I never heard of these companies before this so naturally I googled them. And I found a game called "counter-strike online" by Nexon. I checked the wikipeida page. A game from 2008 with the following description on wiki. 

Counter-Strike Online itself is free to play, but some weapons are bought using points purchased with real money. These weapons usually expire after a certain amount of time but sometimes can be purchased permanently during a promotion.

Were they the actual pioneers of this f2p p2w mess that plagues most games ten years later?

>spent 430$ on lootboxes

And people really think LB will die on it's own. Good luck with that.

bit of LB news, Although it doesn't matter anymore cause we're way passed the period where this game mattered: Shadow of War no longer has lootboxes, they all got stripped out

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 minutes ago, Cheezdoodlez said:

I never heard of these companies before this so naturally I googled them. And I found a game called "counter-strike online" by Nexon. I checked the wikipeida page. A game from 2008 with the following description on wiki. 

Were they the actual pioneers of this f2p p2w mess that plagues most games ten years later?

Asian regions have been doing MT waaaaaaayyyyyyyy longer than the west

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

>spent 430$ on lootboxes

And people really think LB will die on it's own. Good luck with that.

bit of LB news, Although it doesn't matter anymore cause we're way passed the period where this game mattered: Shadow of War no longer has lootboxes, they all got stripped out

Few years ago my clan leader in CombatArms would spend more than that a night just gifting us Hi-Sec cases, keys and cosmetics based on how well we did per round... Don't talk about clan matches, dude would just buy what ever you wanted as a much times as it took to get it permanent (if there wasn't a permanent option for it)

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

2 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Few years ago my clan leader in CombatArms would spend more than that a night just gifting us Hi-Sec cases, keys and cosmetics based on how well we did per round... Don't talk about clan matches, dude would just buy what ever you wanted as a much times as it took to get it permanent (if there wasn't a permanent option for it)

Oh my... not sure if best clan leader ever or someone with a spending problem 

5 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Really?  I may need to finally get it, then.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/04/no-more-buying-orcs-paid-loot-boxes-cut-from-middle-earth-shadow-of-war/ 

hot from the press

46 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Oh my... not sure if best clan leader ever or someone with a spending problem 

Not sure if it was much of a spending problem... He didn't have any grand kids at the time so he basically treated his clan members like part of his family.... I mean he was a CFO so that was probably chump change to him

5 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Not sure if it was much of a spending problem... He didn't have any grand kids at the time so he basically treated his clan members like part of his family.... I mean he was a CFO so that was probably chump change to him

never really gave importance to clans and guilds while gaming so don't really know how strong the bond is between clan leaders and members, but that to me really sounds crazy, i mean i would understand in a sports context where a coach is doing some crazy spending for his steam (in my case our coach spending in the 5 digits to award the entire team with rings when we won our first american football championship) but in vydia.... i just don't see it

19 hours ago, Cheezdoodlez said:

Nexon has a game called Combat Arms. Its free to play, pay to win. Very similar to counter strike in many ways. It was fun, but the hackers have fucking destroyed it. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

6 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

OMG GACHAPON MACHINES IN MAPLESTORY

Forgot that was even a game lol.... they milked the shit outta that too

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

the funny part was that most paid cosmetics looks like they don't belong in the game, LOL

As with any game lol They probably made more than any company to date off lootboxes